Information about faults with "B" class auto.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cass

Car
Mercedes B180cdi 2017
Hi, some time since my last post, I am looking to buy a 2016/2017 B class,does anyone know of any problems to look out for,I heard of possible faults with auto gearbox,any help would be appreciated,Thanks

Hi, some time since my last post, I am looking to buy a 2016/2017 B class,does anyone know of any problems to look out for,I heard of possible faults with auto gearbox,any help would be appreciated,Thanks

The boss had current model B Class 1.6 petrol as a hire car for a few weeks and the auto box is/was the worst auto box either of us had ever driven, the B class being marginally worse than her first generation A Class 1.6 diesel :( Virtually impossible to pull away from a standstill smoothly! Mind of its own , revs through the roof on changes . After driving VAG DSG equipped cars since that gearbox was introduced its light years infont of whatever MB installed in the A/Bs we’ve driven (and most autos IMO). My advice would be avoid:(

The W246 B160/B180/B200 petrol models are powered by the M270 engine (which is the transverse version of the M274).

Being a 4-cyl Turbo engine it will always be a bit short in the torque department, and will require some revving to feel alive.

These engines are generally reliable, however the thermostat does tend to go, and unfortunately it is an expensive dealer-only part which requires some dismantling to get to - so it's around £800 parts and labour at a dealer (less at an indie). I suggest a test drive, on a winter day like now the car should reach 80 degrees within 10 minutes of urban driving from cold, and 90+ within 15 minutes. If the temp hovers below the 80 degrees mark after 10-15 minutes of driving, there may be an issue with the thermostat.

Afaik the previous W245 B Class had a CVT type automatic box which was known to give trouble. The newer W246 B Class shares its automatic box with its A class sibling. It is to all intents and purposes a hydraulically operated automated manual box with a twin clutch system [ 7DCT] . It operates on entirely different principles from the more familiar Mercedes torque convertor multi epicyclic automatic gearbox and drives differently as a consequence. Where perhaps this shows up the most is starting from rest, the advantge of the twin clutch box lies in its greater fuel economy
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
I keep a weather eye on recent A/B Class problems on the forums and understand that early 7DCTs had to have firmware updates to improve the gear changes, Other than that, I can't remember reading anything negative. We've had our 2015 B200 CDI from new and after 30K miles, have had no problems at all - and that includes over 10K miles towing a caravan.

We have had 2013 B180 CDI pretty much from new. The gearbox did play up on it after a couple of years. Usual visit workshop messages and failing to go into reverse.

Called Mercedes Mobilo. They did a firmware update at the roadside. Never skipped a beat after that. Has been very reliable over the past 6 years.... Just needed the regular service and went back for a recall or 2. (Reminds me I must book in the latest recall)....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom