Infra red camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glojo

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
Can anyone recommend an infra-red camera type gizzmo that will allow me to look at our back garden during the hours of darkness?

What I'm thinking is having the camera somehow connected to the computer via an IP address??? (out of my depth)

I could Google the subject but I value personal recommendations\experiences of the very knowledgeable folks on this forum.

We would want a decent quality camera that will allow us to watch the local residents that enjoy digging up our lawn. (Mr, Mrs Badger and family) :)

All advice will be greatly appreciated.

Regards
John

Every camera can see infra red light..

What you want is an infra red light source, not the camera itself.

I'm a complete gimm-boyd regarding this hence this thread. All advice will be greatly appreciated. (I am over two decades out of date regarding this subject)

What we want is a lens that can give excellent pictures at night of our garden.

I want this picture to be transmitted to my computer or IP address so that we can access the camera at anytime from any place.

Finally it would be nice to record the event.

Finally, finally, :)
We don't want to harm these critta's . we have foxes during daylight hours and the badgers den is just at the end of our garden. We love our wildlife and just want to see it without us being seen.

Thanks again

Regards
John

John, have a look on the Maplin website. They have a range of cameras with built-in IR illumination for use in complete darkness.

Security cameras or web cameras simply wont provide the sort of quality I think you are looking for.

I'd be tempted to use a reasonable camcorder (Assuming you already own one) hooked up to a video capture card attached to your PC. If you wish to view the footage in a browser like a webcam then quality will always be pretty grim.

As for the light source, have a look at the type of thing available HERE

Are you sure it's badgers, not Pikeys looking for Tv's stash..

Are you sure it's badgers, not Pikeys looking for Tv's stash..

Well I hope they have more luck than me, as I have a job to remember where it is, like when I come back off holiday and cant find the keys to the house.
It does make weeding pleasant as you never know what you are going to find:D

Security cameras or web cameras simply wont provide the sort of quality I think you are looking for.

I'd be tempted to use a reasonable camcorder (Assuming you already own one) hooked up to a video capture card attached to your PC. If you wish to view the footage in a browser like a webcam then quality will always be pretty grim.

As for the light source, have a look at the type of thing available HERE
Thanks very much and it is certainly food for thought.

John

John, the problem will be the strength of of the IR LEDs, if theyre not strong you are not going to see very far.
My new sony HD camcorder has night vision and built in IR LED - but very costly and only goes about 6ft.

You could maybe think about one of the reversing cameras on ebay and simply run a length of cable to the back of you TV of VCR..
Im still not sure how youre going to pull the trigger though? :D

John, the problem will be the strength of of the IR LEDs, if theyre not strong you are not going to see very far.
My new sony HD camcorder has night vision and built in IR LED - but very costly and only goes about 6ft.

You could maybe think about one of the reversing cameras on ebay and simply run a length of cable to the back of you TV of VCR..
Im still not sure how youre going to pull the trigger though? :D
Thanks for that,
I would want at the very least a 12 metre range.

Regards
John

I tried some in the local recycle center, though one could make out a Range Rover and see the people it was impossible to make out any more than that.

They are quite good on a not so dark night, I will try and find more details

I realise this isn't what you want - but if you want to take pictures of wildlife at night, security cameras just wont do.

Most digital cameras have an IR filter over the CCD sensor, effectively blocking out most of the infrared light.

ACS (http://www.advancedcameraservices.co.uk/) will "convert" (bascially remove the IR filter and replace it with a clear filter or an IR pass filter) just about any digital camera you can throw at them... There are quite a few companies like them out there.

The advantage with the conversion is that you don't have 2 filters, each that remove a section of the spectrum...

Michele

I use a S/H Sony nightshot camcorder and an IR Floodlight, both from Ebay - total cost under £100. I can either record to DV tape, or run it into the plasma to keep an eye on the bloody Foxes around here. It also helps keep an eye on the front of the house and the cars.

What sort of money are you looking to spend?
I think money will have to be secondary to quality. :eek:

I don't want a system that does not do what is required, but obviously I don't want to be ripped off. At present I am setting a ceiling of £300-400.

Regards
John

Recently used these on several installations and was quite impressed

http://www.sctltd.co.uk/acatalog/info_PT7137.html

I had heard the company had ceased trading so I'm not sure if they are still availible.

Good quality picture, day/night mode, IR lamps are powerfull and can be used IP (recommended) or coax. Set up is with the disc provided or simply through I/E. Comes with DVR software for the PC.
Better to have the varifocal model

http://www.sctltd.co.uk/acatalog/IP_Network.html

John, would be cheaper to light up the garden, not such a daft question, most animals don't see ac electric light. I went to a hotel where they feed the badgers and the area if flodded with ordinary white light so the hotel guests can see the animals and all sorts turn up. Hedghogs, badgers of course, and some small rodents. What are you trying to see?

John, would be cheaper to light up the garden, not such a daft question, most animals don't see ac electric light. I went to a hotel where they feed the badgers and the area if flodded with ordinary white light so the hotel guests can see the animals and all sorts turn up. Hedghogs, badgers of course, and some small rodents. What are you trying to see?
Not a daft question at all, we have thought about leaving our flood lights on but she who must be obeyed had the final vote :eek: :devil: :)

I think the badgers get used to what is the norm, one neighbour does exactly what you have suggested, but if we switch our lights on, this spooks them as they are not used to it.

Good point though

Regards
John

Not a daft question at all, we have thought about leaving our flood lights on but she who must be obeyed had the final vote :eek: :devil: :)

I think the badgers get used to what is the norm, one neighbour does exactly what you have suggested, but if we switch our lights on, this spooks them as they are not used to it.

Good point though

Regards
John

John the low energy versions are not so bright and the animals do get used to them.
The house 2 doors from me is a holiday let, and has PIR's facing the garden, badgers come in and actuate the PIR's and run around, and after the 10 min shut off time they turn them on again, this has been going on for three years, and the lights are on almost all night, The owner of the house (tight old barstard) can never make out his electic bill when no one is there.

Any low light level camera will work very well with this set up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom