Ingnition Switched supply for Dashcam

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gino71

Car
Mercedes A Class
Hello, can anyone advise if there is a fused switched supply available in the map reading light console area on a W176 A Class? I am trying to install an inline supply for a Dashcam but I’ve been through with a Meter and all the feeds seem to be permanent live. Any options I might have missed? Trying to avoid heading down the widscreen with a cable or touring does the pillars if I can help it...

The front engine bay fusebox is usually your best bet. A small plant stick will poke through the engine bay grommet in two seconds. Halfords sell piggy back fuse kits that take two mins to install. Or, If stuck Halfords will do the whole thing for you for £30.

Mercedes are not prone to having lots of fused lives hanging around. The overhead console is not easy as it uses (from memory) some of the wiring to wake the car or put it to sleep. You can end up with a mess (unintentional). The front fuse box is usually safe using a piggy back adaptor. But seriously, if in doubt? For £30 pay Halfords who warranty their work, hide it away well and it works.

Thanks that’s useful. I’ll have to have a rethink as this is a cam that mounts at the top of the screen and so the usb lead runs neatly into the cavity at the top, but if there’s no supply I’m a bit stuffed. It’s a lease car so I can’t do too much to it...

Thanks that’s useful. I’ll have to have a rethink as this is a cam that mounts at the top of the screen and so the usb lead runs neatly into the cavity at the top, but if there’s no supply I’m a bit stuffed. It’s a lease car so I can’t do too much to it...

You can buy (I just did) long 5 meter usb in car camera (extension) leads (and in pretty colours) from ebay. The Juice Ones are good quality. This allows you the best route along the front head lining, down the 'A' Pillar around the end of the dash and down into the footwell. From there you can access the engine bay grommets. A set of Plastic Trim Removal tools £5:00 in Halfords is huge help here as they will help move trim without breaking all the clips off.

Thanks hats a great help, I’ll have a look for one of those...

I have a 12v socket in the passenger footwell which powers my camera, does yours not have one there?? If Not there may be one in the glovebox. The lead that comes with the camera is usually long enough

I don’t think so, I’ve got one by the ex ashtray but not in the passenger footwell as far as I knom, but will certainly check thanks...

Its trivial to get to the one by the ashtray. Just pull upward on the panels around the gear stick etc and they unclip.

R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom