Inital review of my S211 Brabus E320 CDI

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
Having driven the new car for a while I feel I can answer some of the questions asked of me about it, albeit keeping it brief.

My previous car was a pre facelift 2004 IL6 S211 E320 CDI Avantgarde with 204bhp and the 5 speed gearbox. I loved it with a passion for every day of the 3 1/2 years I owned it.

The new model is based upon a post facelift 2008 S211 E320 CDI Sport, so there are some significant differences in the spec, which I will deal with first.

Engine
Undoubtedly the V6 engine is smoother than the IL6 across all driving conditions (town, fast A road and motorway). However, as with the IL6, there's more vibration through the seat and steering wheel at idle than the equivalent petrol. I remind myself it's a diesel and just live with it.

Gearbox
Though some members have said the 5 speed is better than the 7 speed box I have to disagree so far. Changes are silky smooth and there's always a gear available whenever you need to downshift. With the 5 speed you could sometimes fall inbetween ratios and end up with a less than smooth take up.

Performance
Ah well, it's not really a fair comparison because of the Brabus chip giving 272bhp vs 204bhp of the IL6.
However, the combination of the (almost) 600Nm torque and the smoothness of the gearbox make for an intoxicating brew - hours of point and squirt fun.
You can imagine what it does on the motorway slip road.

Steering
One of the facelift upgrades was to quicken the steering by 10% and it certainly takes less input for the same turn - it makes for a more sporty drive through the twisties. The steering wheel is thicker and more sporty and the paddles add to the fun.

Seats
The sport seats have additional side bolsters and they are very supportive. My last seats were uncomfortable over a long distance and despite many adjustments I never got it right. I've not been far enough to tell how these will be yet, but initial impressions are good
The seat heat function is fab on these cold days.

Suspension
The car has 3 position air suspension, one comfort and two sport settings.
The comfort setting isn't the silky cushion of air ride you might expect, but don't forget, it's running 18" wheels and 35/40 profile tyres so in fact, it's very compliant. At speed it lowers itself to the sport setting - very trick.
The stationary rise function is good for showing off but will probably never get used.

AMG body kit
People are complimentary about how the car looks. When outside the house it sits on a slightly elevated position sideways to the road and it sure looks mean. How long the Brabus badges will last before they disappear is anyone's guess.

Options
Too many to bore you with, but the keyless go is excellent and more useful than I thought.
The auto tailgate is already proving worth it's weight.
Again, despite some bad press here, the linguatronic is easy to use, accurate, and amazes everyone who sees their address appear before them. The "individualisation" process (the initial set up to familiarise the car to my voice pattern) did make me look a bit of a prat as I sat there talking to it!
I've not set the distronic yet so can't report.

Being black it's hard to keep clean and with it's black windows and Brabus badges I'm sure I'm gonna get regular "tugs" from the boys in blue - ho hum.

Rewind a week or two - would I do it again - you bet
icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the write up.

Get a "Black Rat" sticker for the back window. That may help stop the boys in blue from pulling you over. They will probably give you a tug just for a look anyway.
Our very own JBR will probably "feel my collar" for that comment:devil::D

Thanks for the write up.

Get a "Black Rat" sticker for the back window. That may help stop the boys in blue from pulling you over. They will probably give you a tug just for a look anyway.

Thanks John,

I can't seem to create an album on my CP - is it because I've only posted 7 times perhaps?

Possibly. Happen its like PMs and you need 30 posts. Scroll right down to the bottom of the page and hit the "contact us" button and ask the question there. Seeing as you are a very nice man "Admin" will sort you out I'm sure.

Thanks John,

I can't seem to create an album on my CP - is it because I've only posted 7 times perhaps?

You need 30 before you can get an album

Thanks for the write up.

I wouldn't. They could check you weren't and suddenly you might be being pulled over every five seconds.

Probably not by our Simon - his car is normally in the garage somewhere!

That's a well spec'd S211, I'm sure it must be easier to say what options it doesn't have. :cool:

Anyway thanks for the great review. :thumb:

Car is looking and sounding very nice, have you driven a standard 320 v6 Cdi? If so how does it compare?

Thanks for your encouraging words guys.

Here's a more detailed post from the other side with much more info and some photo's at #23.

As Ali G would say "I is well pleased" :)

Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums

You can see a sad looking S211 in this pic :(:

017-2.jpg

You can see a sad looking S211 in this pic :(:

017-2.jpg

It was a difficult parting. It was my first Merc after a SAAB 95 and I absolutely loved it every day for our 3 1/2 years together.

Car is looking and sounding very nice, have you driven a standard 320 v6 Cdi? If so how does it compare?

Hello Gunning,

No, I've never driven another V6 so can't make the comparison really.

No, I've never driven another V6 so can't make the comparison really.

Nice car! I've had two 211 estates and thought they were excellent. I'm on to my fourth V6 diesel Mercedes now and haven't managed to leave any of them standard.
I can say that the difference is very marked between standard and 'enhanced'. In every respect. Torque, power, drivability, smoothness and economy. I currently have a Brabus unit on the CLS and it is almost as good as the very best custom remaps and how the engine should have been standard.
In fact, it now is with the CLS Grand Edition.

Great write up on the car, and I agree with virtually all you have said;)

Nice car! I've had two 211 estates and thought they were excellent. I'm on to my fourth V6 diesel Mercedes now and haven't managed to leave any of them standard.
I can say that the difference is very marked between standard and 'enhanced'. In every respect. Torque, power, drivability, smoothness and economy. I currently have a Brabus unit on the CLS and it is almost as good as the very best custom remaps and how the engine should have been standard.
In fact, it now is with the CLS Grand Edition.

Great write up on the car, and I agree with virtually all you have said;)

Thanks Mactech,

At idle (700rpm) it sends a slight vibration through the seat. Did you get that with your V6 211's?
At 800rpm or 1000rpm (depending on engine temperature or what's on) the idle is silky smooth.

ps: I note that the next generation Brabus for the latest V6's (with 265bhp) produces 313bhp and (I think) 700Nm torque. Happy days :)

Hello

Any side pics if not on the other forum :)

Like the sound of the 'chip'

Sorry, not yet - I'm working on creating an album when my post count passes 30.

You could very quickly get to 30 posts if you posted each picture as a separate post. :D

Beautiful car.

Chris Harris (Autocar/Evo) ran a car just like yours (minus the body kit but with air suspension) and loved it.

It turned my head (finally) towards a diesel.

I tried a boggo 280 and was amazed by the grunt off the line.

When I replace my 500 in few years' time I'll be looking at Brabused 320's :)

Beautiful car.

Chris Harris (Autocar/Evo) ran a car just like yours (minus the body kit but with air suspension) and loved it.

It turned my head (finally) towards a diesel.

I tried a boggo 280 and was amazed by the grunt off the line.

When I replace my 500 in few years' time I'll be looking at Brabused 320's :)

Oi - there's nothing boggo about a 280 CDi, thanks very much....:mad:;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom