Initial introduction and a few questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hosh85

Car
Mercedes Benz E240 W211
Hi all, hope everyone is well.

My way of introduction my name is Hoshil and I live in London.

I currently drive a W211 E240 avant-garde on an 03 plate and I love the thing! My mates call it the Taxi for obvious reasons! I've had a bug recently to chop it in for a E55/63 but tbh the prices of everything taken into account is simply too high and with me living in traffic and speed bumps congested roads (London) I don't really see the point in all that power which is mostly unusable.. SO.. I have decided to give the old girl a new look, this means an Amg or similar front/rear bumpers and some new wheels and etc. I'm obvs not looking to turn it into a boy racer at my age (been there, done that!) just looking for some tasteful visual tweaks..

I have a couple of immediate questions if I may, one being around the wheels Offset, I was under the impression that the majority of MB wheels would fit each other but this does not appear to be the case. I have been told it can be made to work with spacers but advised against this, are there any reasons for this? Safety?

From looking in a few websites I can see the offset for these is Et30 or 33. Sorry just signed up today on the site I'm sure there is wealth of info and I will of course search this fully later, hope you don't mind me touching base first off

Also to others that may have done similar, I see people have put 18“s and 19" inch wheels on the W221, do 19" fit without any issues ie rubbing the arches?

Thanks for any input and looking to being part of the forum.

Hoshil

Welcome to the forum Hoshil

Take a look at the following site and scroll down to the W211 section to see the correct ET's for your car. 19" will fit fine at the expense of a harder ride. Avoid potholes where possible as it appears MB alloys are made of cheese and crack easily.

Mercedes-Benz Fitting Chart and Wheel Fitment Guide | Alloy Wheels Direct

Try to get as close as possible to the correct ET when changing rims and I'd be OK using up to 10mm spacers if necessary. Don't forget you'll need longer bolts if you use spacers.

There is a member selling a set of 5 spoke E55 wheels for around £400 which would look good on your car. Have a search in the classified parts for sale as its pretty recent.

Thanks for this.

Always knew there would be a compromise on the ride but that the price il have to pay!!

Il be sure to check that thread out and generally browse through the forum topics on the W211.

Glad to hear there is a classified section. Il get on that ASAP.

Regards

Also a quick Q around lowering springs.

Based on experience, will me putting 19s on the car not raise the stance altogether and leave a big gap between tyre and arch.

Therefore would lowering springs be neccassary? If so what sort of price would one expect to pay for a basic set and fitted?

Thanks again!

^You'll find that a larger diameter wheel /tyre combination will fill the arch better.
Can't help with springs as I have airmatic suspension with optional lowering .

Re those wheels for sale, they are OEM E55 wheels, but 18" with tyres for £400 delivered.
An absolute bargain considering a new set of rims alone are over £2k.
On the other forum though. Here's a link.
One Set of Original E55k Wheels and Tyres | Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums

That is a pretty incredible price for Oem AMG wheels and is well below the budget I have for wheels but have to be honest they are not quite what I am looking for tbh, having looked at a fair few today and a read of some of the other threads I think I'm going to go for 19"s and I eventually want them to be in black. (car is silver so thought this will accent nicely)

Very much appreciate you pointing it out though

Hoshil

Hi mate

Sorry for the constant Q's i tried to search this on the sticky above but couldn't seem to find an accurate answer, maybe i'm not looking hard enough!

You mentioned that i should get wheels with the closest offset, on the link you kindly gave me it says on it that for the 16" inch wheel based on the wheel size the offset will either be 36 or 42.

Wheel size 16x7.5 - 42
Wheel size 16x8 - 36

Without checking i am unsure what "wheel size" i have of the 2 above, i do know i have 225-55-16 and the above wheels sizes apply to both

I have looked around for wheels of that offset and i do have options but you said that i could have max 10mm spacers, so what range of offsets could then fit? I.e what offset range should i be looking at?

Thanks for any further advice advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom