Injector cleaning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

optimusprime

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mercedes W124 260E M103
Hi its time i did a job on my injectors and seals .How do you clean your injectors Bosch CSI type @ £18 each for cleaning = £124 this i think is robbery .I am sure i can find a way to clean them out .As i have been looking at a sonic cleaner to do the job. So can someone say how they did theirs .Is a sonic cleaner the way to go .?

M-B recommend that the those injectors are replaced (not cleaned) @ 60,000 miles from what I recall.

M-B recommend that the those injectors are replaced (not cleaned) @ 60,000 miles from what I recall.

Mine is the 104.980 engine with injectors about £50 each. Yours may have the other injectors that are about half that price.

Mine lasted for 200K miles and we changed them - excellent €500 spent, including guides and seals.

Either way, save your £120 and put it to new injectors.

RayH

In theory you should test the injection pattern of each injector after cleaning them with the sonic cleaning device, but I am not sure if every garage does that.

Alternatively, you can get some limited cleaning effect using premium diesel (e.g. Shell V-Power) or just by using additives (Forte / Redex / Millers etc).
Not as effective as removing and cleaning the injectors, but cheap and easy to apply.

Just purchased a sonic cleaner .As i know it will come in for other projects .So i will let you all know how it goes. I think its the injectors, or the seals ,When i start it stumbles a little ,it did start on all six when i had it first. It runs fine it just every start up it like all cylinders are not together.

No harm in cleaning injectors, though on a general note, clogged injectors usually show up more at high rev / heavy engine load than at idle.

No harm in cleaning injectors, though on a general note, clogged injectors usually show up more at high rev / heavy engine load than at idle.

On one of my KE-Jet equipped engines had rough idle and poor starting, this was due to worn/clogged injectors but seemed to perform o.k. at any speed above idle. I think this was down to the fact CIS injectors are constant flow, unlike normal injectors. Anyway, fitted new injectors (cheap, about £30 ea) & importantly the seals too, the engine performance everywhere was transformed but most noticably at idle.

If you want to check the spray pattern on those, have them fire into 6 plastic bottles. You can inspect the pattern and check if they produce equal amounts of fuel.

You only need to bypass the pump relay, then control them via gently depressing the air metering flap.

Some years ago now, but I replaced the injectors on my 103 as it had a stumble at idle....new injectors helped but never cured it. Turned out to be the metering head...expensive. Lesson on that one, was never run injector cleaner through the system on an older car with a metering head as it just scours the crud off the fuel lines which then ends up clogging the metering head. Kicked myself on that one

Some years ago now, but I replaced the injectors on my 103 as it had a stumble at idle....new injectors helped but never cured it. Turned out to be the metering head...expensive. Lesson on that one, was never run injector cleaner through the system on an older car with a metering head as it just scours the crud off the fuel lines which then ends up clogging the metering head. Kicked myself on that one

...this is why I use premium fuels on both my petrol and Diesel cars.

You can of course just add fuel detergents yourself.

Either way it's the regular use that makes a difference .

Thank you for your help. I to have the stumble before it runs on all cylinders .. Works like a dream after its started ,and on the road. Noticed this after the MOT so i am not sure if the mechanic adjusted the mix to make it pass the test or not .But after 26 years i think a clean up will help the injectors . Looking for 6 seals now to replace after cleaning them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom