Injector Seal Replacement - Hole in water jacket help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Car
Various
So my old man has a W210 E220CDI as a runabout, I noticed an injector seal was leaking at the weekend.

Took the covers off and it wasn't too bad, anyway thought I'd change all 4 of them for him as we're quiet at the min so instead of asking my mechanic to do it I thought I'd do it myself.

Injectors came out easy, bolts come out easy, washers came out easy.

One of the bolts was very gunked up etc

But I ordered new bolts with washers so it wasn't a huge problem.

There is a reciept in the handbook pack for injector replacement 4 years ago, during which it looks like they have managed to puncture the head into the water jacket and bodged with sealer.

I found sealer surrounding the bolt and obviously now the bolt has been removed there is water coming through.

Looking at Autodata it looks like a 10 hour job to remove and refit cylinder head, for what the car is worth this job is out of the equation!

Are there any other ways to repair this?

I have just ordered some M6 Grub Screws which I aim to fit coated in plenty of sealant.

Is this the right way or do you guys have a better suggestion?

Thanks

A detailed picture would help? You may be able to repair it with one of the Belzona products Products - Belzona Being optimistic the last "bodge" lasted 4 years?

Hi Grober,

Thank you for your reply.

It would be very difficult to photograph as the hole is at the bottom of a deep thread in the cylinder head.

The last bodge indeed looks like it's done the job for 4 years but it's fairly crude and basic, I'm happy to attempt a better fix just wondering what to use.

I will have a look at those Belzona products.

Thanks

Using sealant on the bolt will be fine, others, in a similar situation, have reported success using that method to seal the leak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom