Injector tool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Greenthing

Car
e300 diesel
Hello, I`m new to this site and have recently bought a 1995 e300 diesel estate, v.g.c. and only 115000 on the clock, I think!. It drove faultlessly on the 3 1/2hr journey home but could smell fresh diesel and found the return line from no.1 to the pump to be wet so changed all return lines. It soon filled up around the injectors with diesel again and after looking more closely this time I found that there is bubbling around the bottom of four injectors.

Is this common?
Where can I buy an injector removal/refitting socket from in this country?
I`ve been told there are copper washers which seal the injectors, might they just need pinching up or do they need removing, annealing and injectors checking?

There are a couple of other issues, the gearbox(4 apeed auto) when cold is slow to change through 1st 2nd and 3rd, it always takes about 3-5 seconds to engage reverse and when warm there`s an uncomfortable clunk/jolt when engaging drive. There seems to be plenty of clean oil on the dipstick. Also when warm, because the 1st and 2nd gears are so short, it revs high before changing and i can hear what sounds like a bit of cam noise for a few seconds.

Does all this sound normal for this car with a mileage of 115000?
Is there an alternative gearbox for it with better ratios?

I also have a 1998 c250 td and the ratios seem well spaced giving about 800 rpm less at 80mph.

Any help or advice will be much appreciated.

Welcome.
The injectors are retained with a stretch bolt (torx) so you need to remove this and pull the injectors out. If you are lucky, they will come out with a bit of force. If not, you may require a slide hammer type puller or similar. Clean the seat and the injector face PROPERLY and replace the washers and bolts. Search for 'black death', there are lots of posts on how to do this.

With regards to the gearbox, if there is no evidence of an ATF change, get it done

Welcome.
The injectors are retained with a stretch bolt (torx) so you need to remove this and pull the injectors out. If you are lucky, they will come out with a bit of force. If not, you may require a slide hammer type puller or similar. Clean the seat and the injector face PROPERLY and replace the washers and bolts. Search for 'black death', there are lots of posts on how to do this.

With regards to the gearbox, if there is no evidence of an ATF change, get it done
Thank you for your reply. But my engine is the 606.910 with twin cams and the injectors are set in the head between them. I haven`t been able to find any specific ytube videos or web pages on how to remove them, but from what I can tell so far it looks like they screw in and the tool is like a deep reach socket with a slot cut in the side.

Welcome.

Bob, it's a 606 not a 613.

Thank you for your reply. But my engine is the 606.910 with twin cams and the injectors are set in the head between them. I haven`t been able to find any specific ytube videos or web pages on how to remove them, but from what I can tell so far it looks like they screw in and the tool is like a deep reach socket with a slot cut in the side.

Yep, that's it. I got mine off Ebay many years ago. Possibly 22 mm. Slimmer than the 616 / 617 / 601 to 603 injectors.
Easy job.

Maybe check the atf level again, could be low from what you describe.
The 722.6 5 speed box is far superior to the 722.4. As you've noticed.

Yep, that's it. I got mine off Ebay many years ago. Possibly 22 mm. Slimmer than the 616 / 617 / 601 to 603 injectors.
Easy job.

Maybe check the atf level again, could be low from what you describe.
The 722.6 5 speed box is far superior to the 722.4. As you've noticed.
Thanks, I can`t seem to find any for sale in this country, did yours come from america or china?, they look the same in the photos. And is it possible to put the 5 speed box on to that engine?

Can't remember, was about 10 years ago that i bought it.

Yes, there is a custom controller. Home
Good news, thanks again. I`ll start by sorting the injectors and changing gbox oil and filter and look into changing the box when it warms up a bit. If you can point me in the direction of similar conversions so I know whats involved I`d appreciate it, thanks.

Good news, thanks again. I`ll start by sorting the injectors and changing gbox oil and filter and look into changing the box when it warms up a bit. If you can point me in the direction of similar conversions so I know whats involved I`d appreciate it, thanks.

Have a look here:
G Wagen Conversions | Diesel Pump UK

Does anyone have, or know anyone who has the 22mm socket for removing injectors on my engine that they would like to sell. I have ordered one but it might not turn up for over a month. I can`t post on classifieds as I haven`t made enough posts.

Hello, I`m new to this site and have recently bought a 1995 e300 diesel estate, v.g.c. and only 115000 on the clock, I think!. It drove faultlessly on the 3 1/2hr journey home but could smell fresh diesel and found the return line from no.1 to the pump to be wet so changed all return lines. It soon filled up around the injectors with diesel again and after looking more closely this time I found that there is bubbling around the bottom of four injectors.

Is this common?
Where can I buy an injector removal/refitting socket from in this country?
I`ve been told there are copper washers which seal the injectors, might they just need pinching up or do they need removing, annealing and injectors checking?

There are a couple of other issues, the gearbox(4 apeed auto) when cold is slow to change through 1st 2nd and 3rd, it always takes about 3-5 seconds to engage reverse and when warm there`s an uncomfortable clunk/jolt when engaging drive. There seems to be plenty of clean oil on the dipstick. Also when warm, because the 1st and 2nd gears are so short, it revs high before changing and i can hear what sounds like a bit of cam noise for a few seconds.

Does all this sound normal for this car with a mileage of 115000?
Is there an alternative gearbox for it with better ratios?

I also have a 1998 c250 td and the ratios seem well spaced giving about 800 rpm less at 80mph.

Any help or advice will be much appreciated.
There is a 'Black Death' video on youtube 'Legitstreetcars' It is not your engine that is featured and is by no means a blow by blow of how exactly to go about the job but it will give you some insight as to what is involved. Have a look the guy on the film (Alex) is quite knowledgeable and unlike most of the 'home movies' on you tube his videos are quite watchable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom