Inlet Port Shut off Motor again?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Harrythedog

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
GLC 250 Sport Premium+
Had the inlet port shut off motor replaced last November and it looks like it's gone again. The dealer told me to switch the engine off and restart it and this seems to gave cleared the problem. Unfortunately the car will be stuck on Southampton quayside for a couple of weeks as I'm on a cruise. The question is if it is the IPSM will I be able to drive home 350 miles without damaging anything. Advice required

That's not very good, and a 350 mile on a limp mode would make it a frustrating journey. If it was done by Mercedes I thik there is meant to be a 12 month warrenty on repairs. You would wonder whether a local dealer could do it while you are away?

When it went on ours, (a C class) it seemed fine, just slow to accelerate.

ETA If you are looking for a local indie there is Olly at PCS not that far away.

Last edited:
If it is the shut off valve - MB warranty all parts for 2 years and therefore they will replace this. It needs to be put on Star to diagnose this. My third failure had just the problems you mention - turn off engine and voila ok again - until it fails completely then you are stuck in limp mode.

When are you leaving for your cruise? It needs to be done before you set off to the docks in case it goes en-route and you have to limp there. Shouldn't take the dealer more than 15 minutes to diagnose if its this motor or not. Twice Mobilio put their star on and told me straight away what the problem was.

Last edited:
I'm on board now and the car is in secure parking. The work was done by Merc and there's a two year warranty but I'm not back until two weeks on Sunday and they want to do the obliquitory diagnosis first so I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed. They did offer me mobile recovery but unfortunately the last service was an A ( oil & filter) somy localindy did so I won't be covered

I'm on board now and the car is in secure parking. The work was done by Merc and there's a two year warranty but I'm not back until two weeks on Sunday and they want to do the obliquitory diagnosis first so I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed. They did offer me mobile recovery but unfortunately the last service was an A ( oil & filter) somy localindy did so I won't be covered

Well all we can say is Bon Voyage and have a good holiday!

UPDATE;

Got off the boat this morning and as suspected car in limp mode. Drove 350 miles home and looking forward to visiting the dealers tomorrow!

Took the car to the dealers today and after their diagnostics it would appear that the inlet manifold has siezed and needs replacing at a cost of £1100. As the car is over 5 years old their is no chance of any goodwill and I've been told that the probable cause is the low mileage I do, about 5K a year.

Anybody got next weerks lottery numbers.

Took the car to the dealers today and after their diagnostics it would appear that the inlet manifold has siezed and needs replacing at a cost of £1100. As the car is over 5 years old their is no chance of any goodwill and I've been told that the probable cause is the low mileage I do, about 5K a year.

Anybody got next weerks lottery numbers.

Please share - currently waiting to pay a bill not to dissimilar!

Did you not say that it had been repaired recently? What about the warranty?

Failing that, I paid £450 to an MB indie for the port inlet shutoff.

ETA - Inlet Manifold - is this different to the shutoff motor?

I had the inlet port shut off motor replaced last year but apparently that's fine.

They also said that they may be able to free it off but can't guarentee that it wont seize up again.

Presumably the shutoff motor drives the flap that is seized? Might explain the early demise of the motor in the first place.

Guess there is not much more you can do about it, but suffer the pain.

We always do the inlet manifolds too as the inlet port shut off rods always seize. We have NEVER done the job twice.

Just changing the motor is not enough IMO.

I just wished they had of done that last November Olly when they originally changed the motor. What I can't understand is that I had drove it over 300 miles and it went whilst I was driving.
Anyone out there know the success rate of manually free the manifold?

Freeing it off is just a temp fix.

To prevent it form happening again you need to drive it harder and higher RPM to keep the manifold clean.

Thanks Olly, looks like a new manifold inlet is the order of the day then:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

We always do the inlet manifolds too as the inlet port shut off rods always seize. We have NEVER done the job twice.

Just changing the motor is not enough IMO.

Agree as can be borne by my situation. So a good Italian tune up is required every month or so?

Agree as can be borne by my situation. So a good Italian tune up is required every month or so?

I would say once a week if not more a good hard drive to keep her in order.

Easy for me up in Scotland...

PS thread to follow, the shed has been back on tour!!!

Every week. High RPM up a hill so she has to work hard. 1st to 2nd then third to the red line.

I do this with the ML every day I drive it (when hot) and so far no inlet port shut off issue at125k.

I like a daily Italian Tune up myself :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom