Inlet port shut off motor ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gooner1971

Car
Mercedes-Benz CLS 2006
Hi i removed the inlet manifold on my 2006 CLS 320 CDI and found this plug unplugged decided to plug it back in refitted the inlet manifold only to find it would rev beyond 3000rpm i done a scan and came up with the following Inlet port shut of motor position fault. reset the fault removed the inlet manifold unplugged the plug again refitted the inlet manifold and found to be free reving again ?

the following photo shows the location of the said plug marked by a star

What exactly does the inlet port shut of motor do ?
can i be done away with ?
how do you go about doing this ?
is there any detrimental effects to the engine by having this unplugged ?

thanks guys
inlet manifold.jpg

Hi i removed the inlet manifold on my 2006 CLS 320 CDI and found this plug unplugged decided to plug it back in refitted the inlet manifold only to find it would rev beyond 3000rpm i done a scan and came up with the following Inlet port shut of motor position fault. reset the fault removed the inlet manifold unplugged the plug again refitted the inlet manifold and found to be free reving again ?

the following photo shows the location of the said plug marked by a star

What exactly does the inlet port shut of motor do ?
can i be done away with ?
how do you go about doing this ?
is there any detrimental effects to the engine by having this unplugged ?

thanks guys
View attachment 113041
Yes , you can get away without using the inlet motor , it controls the swirl flaps in the inlet manifolds , when the manifolds gunge up over time , the swirl flaps hit resistance and stick or the orange turbo inlet seal above leaks an oily gunge onto the motor and packs it in .
The cheap solution is to put a 4.7k ohm resistor into the middle two terminals of the plug to the inlet motor to trick the car into thinking it’s all working .
Ive had one in for 2 years .
Plenty on the tinternet if you search” om642 swirl flap motor resistor fix “ or similar

Yes , you can get away without using the inlet motor , it controls the swirl flaps in the inlet manifolds , when the manifolds gunge up over time , the swirl flaps hit resistance and stick or the orange turbo inlet seal above leaks an oily gunge onto the motor and packs it in .
The cheap solution is to put a 4.7k ohm resistor into the middle two terminals of the plug to the inlet motor to trick the car into thinking it’s all working .
Ive had one in for 2 years .
Plenty on the tinternet if you search” om642 swirl flap motor resistor fix “ or similar
Thanks for your reply i have ordered 2off 4.7k ohm resistors (1 spare)

thanks
Jon

Thanks for your reply i have ordered 2off 4.7k ohm resistors (1 spare)

thanks
Jon
Tape it up well so it doesn’t touch metal after it’s fitted buddy. Also bend the wire ends over before you fit it .
Some people I think try and pull the cable around so that the resistor is more accessible from the top in the future (that’s on my list next time I remove the batwing )

Inlet flaps are made for improving air swirl at certain conditions. OM642 turbo is notorious for dropping oil on motor and seizing it. Like above, resistor will do the trick, if flaps are still on their place, and actuator is keeping them open position.

Tape it up well so it doesn’t touch metal after it’s fitted buddy. Also bend the wire ends over before you fit it .
Some people I think try and pull the cable around so that the resistor is more accessible from the top in the future (that’s on my list next time I remove the batwing )
Thanks I will do
Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom