Inside Rolls Royce - CH4 Thurs 20/03/14

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Harrythedog

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
GLC 250 Sport Premium+
It'll be interesting to see if they are still made with the meticulous attention to detail they once were

I'm pretty sure they are, just a shame all that talent & effort is spent making such monstrously fugly cars.

Saw the trailer for this last night on something or other.

Looks like it will be interesting, especially the bit: "We tried to get something that looked like Gold, so we used Gold"

Apologies for the misquote but it was along those lines...

I'm pretty sure they are, just a shame all that talent & effort is spent making such monstrously fugly cars.

I used to think so too, but they have really grown on me, and even more so after watching this one being ragged around. I just love that a big car can have such quiet power and performance, along with classy little touches such as a power reserve gauge, rather than a rev counter (how common!!!).

I'm looking forward to this programme.

I saw a program a good few years back (may have been an old Top Gear) and it stated that the leather came from a specific hide in a Scandanavian country where barbed wire is banned thus there are no deep scratches on the hide, love things like that.

PS forgot to add that it's on a 9pm

I was RR factory on PH Sunday Service ..

fascinating, super high tech, and all hand built, with leather and wood shop.

I saw a program a good few years back (may have been an old Top Gear) and it stated that the leather came from a specific hide in a Scandanavian country where barbed wire is banned thus there are no deep scratches on the hide, love things like that.

That was certainly the source for Connolly leather which was used in RR (and in lesser grades Jags etc) but nowadays I believe it comes from Bavaria, where it has to be soft and long lasting to be worn close to the naked skin in Lederhosen (which I believe should be worn in the same manner as kilts, but without sporrans, obviously, as you wouldn't want a sporran on your Royce upholstery).

BMW quality aspirations are very high - other than irony of being owned by the Germans (don't mention etc...) Rolls will continue to benefit from their funding and ownership.

As an owner I can confirm that they are still beautifully made.

…….the leather came from a specific hide in a Scandanavian country where barbed wire is banned thus there are no deep scratches on the hide…….

And bulls, never cows - so no stretch marks - though they should see my beer belly…..

It's an odd market sector. The Maybach wan't easy on the eye either.

Looking back I never thought of the Sliver Shadow or Spirit as pretty cars. In their day they had presence. The current Phantom probably sits in that same category. It definitely has presence. It's just rather more challenging to look at.

Charles Morgan said:
but without sporrans, obviously, as you wouldn't want a sporran on your Royce upholstery).

And why not may I ask? Some of us have sporrans that are softer than an auld baw-bag and would positively benefit from a mutual rub with a nice bit of hide.

They only use hides from bulls as well as cows have stretch marks after calfing.

This programme is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo boring bunch of old fuddy duddies moaning about tenths of millimeters and people that know nothing about cars spending needlessly quarters of millions of pounds just so that they can look cool down the local Golf club.

And before anyone says it, I am not jealous. If I had a spare quarter mil lying about, I would do something useful with it, like feeding people who havent eaten in weeks, clearing my old mum's mortgage, and putting a nice deposit on a second home

Interesting programme

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom