Inspiration for Prospective W211 Pre Facelift Buyers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GeoffWestWales

Car
Mercedes E Class
A lot of people only tend to post when they have a problem so thought I would add a positive side to the forum of my life with my 05 S211 E27.

I will try not to send you to sleep :D. I had always wanted an E Class Estate and like to buy older cars as I can look after them myself, in my price range was the pre facelift cars with the scary SBC Braking, after doing lots of research and finding a place that refurbs them (ecu-repair.co.uk) for not a lot of cash I took the plunge, picked up our Helga as she is affectionally called a 2005 E270 Estate in slate grey with 157K up her bits, I had plenty of time to make friends on the drive from Sheffield to Aberdeenshire and what a motor, since July when I got her she is already on 160k last week we did a road trip house hunting from Aberdeenshire to South Wales (600 miles) got out fresh as a daisy and averaged 45 mpg, then we toured up to West Wales overnighted in North Wales then back up to Aberdeenshire again she purred away and just swallowed the miles.

So I suppose the inspiration for my post is to new prospective owners of the pre facelift, they really are a cracking car and what you get for the price you pay would be very hard to beat, so be brave put the big boy/girl pants on and dont be affraid if buying on a budget you will not regret it.

I'm so glad I came back to the Mercedes fold after a few years of Volvo's but all my next cars will defo be E Class Estates, amazing motors and stand the test of time like us on the inside understand.

I had a pre facelift 320 Cdi. Myn was a full spec including the SL55 AMG Wheels. I loved it. Great car.

Here

Attachments

• ED0FFDDB-1AB5-41C9-8291-830FD94BEB96.jpeg
    ED0FFDDB-1AB5-41C9-8291-830FD94BEB96.jpeg
    337.6 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: 219
Nice looking car HB, enjoy the load space of the estate, ideal for my fishing tackle, when I first passed my test all them years ago I used to have vans as I needed them to ferry around my Road racing bikes, so suppose being able to cram stuff in must come from that, anyone who had a van in my old village became very popular can you just pick up this fridge/sofa you name it lol

I couldn’t stop laughing one day as I had my son and his 5 friends in the car at same time taking them to football practice. The look on other parents faces when I opened the boot and 2 popped out from sitting in the rear facing seats.

Do the 7 seat s211 have a spare wheel. Curious to where it would be, if they do?

A superb all-rounder the S211. Ours is a 5 seater. Ample of room, just wished my Dad didn't like it so much :wallbash:;)

Do the 7 seat s211 have a spare wheel. Curious to where it would be, if they do?

A superb all-rounder the S211. Ours is a 5 seater. Ample of room, just wished my Dad didn't like it so much :wallbash:;)

Space saver :thumb:

The s210 with 7 seat option has a full size spare wheel housed vertically in the near side inner rear wing. Just like the s124. Always assumed the s211 would be the same.

Last edited:

The W123 and W124 estates all had the spare wheel sitting vertically in the nsr well regardless of whether 5 or 7 seat version ; my first one also came with the emergency fuel can which fitted inside the spare wheel ; I kept it and transferred it to each subsequent car .

The s210 with 7 seat option has a full size spare wheel housed vertically in the near side inner rear wing. Just like the s124. Always assumed the s211 would be the same.
Strange they took that step backward.

I never get the point of these space savers : if there’s room for a full size wheel that is what you should have , and if there isn’t , where do you put your Full sized punctured wheel after you have a flat and you have either luggage in the boot or passengers in the rear seats .

My S203 came with one and within a week I had bought a proper spare wheel and threw away the stupid skinny thing .

Last edited:
The W123 and W124 estates all had the spare wheel sitting vertically in the nsr well regardless of whether 5 or 7 seat version ; my first one also came with the emergency fuel can which fitted inside the spare wheel ; I kept it and transferred it to each subsequent car .

My Dad had the W124 280TE. Was a beautiful machine.

No spare in my S211, not even a space saver. The arm for the seat takes up the centre of the well. Plenty of room for spares, tools etc but not for a wheel.

No spare in my S211, not even a space saver. The arm for the seat takes up the centre of the well. Plenty of room for spares, tools etc but not for a wheel.
Bad design then

I wonder why they stopped storing it to the side , as with every previous model ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom