Install Hard Wired Dash Cam on a CLS (C218)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jasmart

Car
CLS 350 CDI (C218)
Here’s a quick guide giving instruction on how to fit a hidden cable solution to hard-wire your dash cam on a CLS C218 model. I wanted the power to be switched live, so that after turning off the ignition, the power to the dash cam is removed. Therefore I have taken power from the cigarette lighter in the centre console, the front one located below the stereo.

Purchase a Dash Cam Hardwire Kit with Mini or Micro USB to suit your particular dash cam. ( link)

hardwire_kit_5c65681da825520e75849545b4602eaaab28a6b8.jpg

Open both stowage compartments and remove the rubber inserts labelled 3 and 5 below. If you have the drinks holder, slide the two central clips in the direction of the arrow to lift up and remove.
stowage_1_b06a2c9771722384560180e8d76aeea7de43329d.jpg

Remove the torx 10 screws, located at positions 4 and 7 and lift out both stowage compartments.

stowage_2_1f6b459a89c76f172271b041f00f9ec70fe23508.jpg

stowage_3_62ca4b4e37c7c9a7f1981867f16edd5d2f0284e1.jpg

You can then lift out the front part holding the cigarette lighter. Flip this over to expose the wiring. From the picture below, you can see that a 12V feed can be found across the brown (ground) and red (live) wires. (The grey one provides illumination to the lighter surround.)

12vpower_7baae12f2fa082033a91ef7c3f42e15bcba7ccf5.jpg

To tap into the red and brown wires, I used these scotch lock connectors. ( link)

scothch_lock_bc612b67c34667923034e1f0bda65060f7bee543.jpg

Then mount your dash cam behind the rear view mirror. Use a door trim removal tool, or similar plastic tool to gently hide the cams 5V power cable along its route.

door_trim_a623c43a9fd7a75cb2be6f49131f74e6103c9153.jpg

The route runs nicely from behind the mirror, just up into the roof liner where it meets with the windscreen, through to the A-pillar, down the rubber door seal to below the passenger side glovebox. From there run under the glovebox to the centre console. From there it can feed straight into the exposed area where the cigarette lighter sits.

Hope this helps someone.

Hi, I assume this is an accessory power source so that the camera powers when the ignition is on. If this is correct, where can I find a permanent power for the camera as I want to use is as a security camera too when the car is parked? Thanks.

Yes you are correct. It detects the ignition going off and then is set to power down after 10 seconds so no parked car protection.

There are actually two different types of cams with the type of parked car detection you are referring to. Some rely on the cams in-built battery, they will activate when the g-sensor detects a knock and record a couple of minutes clip. Hopefully enough to catch someone trying to leave the scene. Or, the other type which would permanently record but these would rely on having a permanent live. Personally, even though this would be a tiny amount of power draw, I don't feel comfortable having a third party device drawing power from the cars battery.

I understand that its circuit 30 that provides the permanent live, but I can't tell you where to tap that. This other install guide makes good reading and discusses options. Dash cam prep and queries

Thanks for your reply. Very interesting points to consider.

Scotchlok connectors may be easy to use but are not recommended, a proper spliced and soldered connection with heat shrink insulation is a far better way to connect the two cables.

Did you install a seperate in-line fuse to the dashcam?

I can't disagree with that, I admit I went for ease of install there.

Yes, the hardwire kit, first pic above, provides the in-line fuse for the install.

Well only last week I found out that a guy I know who runs a top spec Range Rover had his car damaged while it was outside a school ,can thank his choice of a fully loaded car because he has that 360 degree cameras fitted,a women is now facing a very large bill for damage caused.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom