Install software twice on one HD?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

esox

I want to install camera software on my PC for a second time - leave the original install in place,but have a second install on the same HD.
Is this possible?

When i load the disc into the drive it does not give me the option to install it;just options to `modify`,`install other options` or `remove`.

Don`t want to do any of that ,just install it again in another HD location - but the software obviously recocnises that it is already installed.

Any way around this?

Not that I know of, there will be various entries in the Registry that the installer will look for(and find in this case). The catch 22 is that if you change any of these entries then the second install may work but the first won't. May I ask why you want to do this?

Maybe he thinks about cluster? :)
Failover cluster.

We are using LifeKeeper but I'm confident that Linux/RH solutions will do just fine!

Cheers
Chris

Well - if you let us why you would want to do that or what you are trying to achieve the members on this forum would no doubt come up a working solution.

Each installation of a software package (most!) will have an entry in the WIndows registry, which will point the to a certain installation location. Therefore for a package to install twce, you need to be able to install it in a new location and have a unique registry entry for it - sounds like this package you are installing does not give you the option to install it in another another location, or have multiple instances.

What package are you installing?

Yes you can provided the installation allowed you too choose the directory to install to otherwise it installs by default to Program Files.

But you have to understand the logic when you invoke it, it got to know where to look for it. Then you created another problem, why my camera software does not work? :D

Yes you can provided the installation allowed you too choose the directory to install to otherwise it installs by default to Program Files.

But you have to understand the logic when you invoke it, it got to know where to look for it. Then you created another problem, why my camera software does not work? :D

Hmmmmmm. I'm learning stuff here - so how does the Registry cope with 2 different entries? :confused: One will overwrite the other surely?

Hmmmmmm. I'm learning stuff here - so how does the Registry cope with 2 different entries? :confused: One will overwrite the other surely?

Can have different entries in the registry, depending on the type of software you are installing. With dot net, ie, firefox and drivers etc you can't.

I can install Natwest bookkeeping in different directories because only one is allowed.

I can install Natwest bookkeeping in different directories because only one is allowed.
I was going to write a sensible reply - but I just realised that sentance doesn't make any sense. Can anyone translate for me?

I was going to write a sensible reply - but I just realised that sentance doesn't make any sense. Can anyone translate for me?

:crazy:

Here again. The UK bank called National Westminster provide free book-keeping software. During installation of the software you can edit the default directory name. In the copyright note, it says only one copy can be install on a PC. To bypass this restriction, you can specify different directory names so more than one copy can be install on a PC.
Then you can set up a book-keeping account for youself, one for your wife, one for you mistress, one for your daughter, one for your son, one for your dad, one for your mum and one for anyone you wish to grant. :D

Is this long winding enough? I nearly fell asleep.

Here again. The UK bank called National Westminster provide free book-keeping software. During installation of the software you can edit the default directory name. In the copyright note, it says only one copy can be install on a PC. To bypass this restriction, you can specify different directory names so more than one copy can be install on a PC.

To bypass (that is not appropriate word) this restriction, one must obtain RIGHT to use software! That means BUY license.
What you are saying is illegal and you were told that by License Agreement.

Also, I'm fairly confident that on this forum PIRACY WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.

Enough said.

Chris

Well, I might be banned but... [EDIT]
Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Columb is quite right in saying software Piracy can not be condoned on this forum...

To bypass (that is not appropriate word) this restriction, one must obtain RIGHT to use software! That means BUY license.
What you are saying is illegal and you were told that by License Agreement.

Also, I'm fairly confident that on this forum PIRACY WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.

Enough said.

Chris

Utter rubbish and total bladder. Natwest book-keeping software are given away free. You certainly have nothing to do but stir up trouble. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Utter rubbish and total bladder. Natwest book-keeping software are given away free. You certainly have nothing to do but stir up trouble. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

You said yourself that the copyright notice that came with the software stated that only one copy should be installed onto the computer.

So the only person stirring up trouble here Dragon here is you.

You continually post nonsense and recently you've started insulting forum members. This is a polite warning to calm down on both fronts.

Last edited:
OK thanks chaps - it doesn`t look like theres an easy way of doing it - at least,for a PC numpty like me...

So,plan B...

Is there a way to undo a software update on one piece software only,rather than doing a whole PC `system restore`?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom