Installing HD box using sky dish

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gollom

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
Picking up a Grundig GUFSDTR500HD satellite receiver tomorrow which I will connect to an existing Sky dish using a new quad LNB. Knowing the wealth of knowledge on here thought I'd ask a couple of questions:​
  • I have a part reel of RG58 cable from the days when I did thinwire ethernet networks (bet that takes some people right back!!!) can I use that internally?
  • Can I also use it to come from the dish to the inside or will I need RG59?
  • Are replacement LNB's easy to fit?
  • Any other Top Tips!
As always, thanks a million :thumb:

Not in order.
Replacement LNBs ARE easy to fit. I replaced a single with a quad on my dish without having to re-align, as it just fits into the same fixing as the original.

Is RG58 the same impedence as the correct cable. If so, I'd guess it would give no (or negligible) attenuation, but is it ok for exterior use?

Dont forget to allow a loop below the entry point to the house to allow water to drip off without entering the house.

And yes, I remember thinnet/thicknet. You can't use a vampire tap!!

Picking up a Grundig GUFSDTR500HD satellite receiver tomorrow​

Hey Gollom,

nice machine, I recently got the very similar Goodmans GFSDTR320HD and haven't looked back. Our ex-Sky mini-dish already had a quad LNB so I probably had an easier transition than you.

RG58 should be fine for internal use, I'm not sure for external use though.

Good luck with it - and wait for the ice to thaw before going up a ladder to change the LNB!

Cheers,
Eddie

Picking up a Grundig GUFSDTR500HD satellite receiver tomorrow which I will connect to an existing Sky dish using a new quad LNB. Knowing the wealth of knowledge on here thought I'd ask a couple of questions:​
  • I have a part reel of RG58 cable from the days when I did thinwire ethernet networks (bet that takes some people right back!!!) can I use that internally?
  • Any other Top Tips!

If the dish is an oval Sky dish make sure the LNB is designed for that shape.
WF100 is a better choice of cable, try Satcure satellite dish LNBs digital TV aerial information for loads of good information.

• Any other Top Tips!
RG58 is unsuitable being 50 ohm impedance.
RG59 is suitable for short lengths only (1.8m max) due to high frequency losses.
Recommend WF100 which is a double copper shielded coax with foam dielectric, suitable for external / internal use. You can run this directly from LNB to the Rx.

Make sure you also duplicate the existing LNB "skew" or rotational position. Don't skimp on the cable spec- the cost is far outweighed by the hassle of renewing a poor quality cable initial run/ installation.

As an amature I changed a quad lnb to an octo lnb (bought off ebay) with no problem. I agree with the cable spec though - go for the best as I understand the signal loss with coax cable increases with length

I looked into this recently for my own house/system.

I bought this. From my research, I believe it is the best quality currently- it's triple screened..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom