Installing SAP v4 in W209

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Codger49

MB Enthusiast
Car
W209 CLK500, W168 A190; E46 325i; SPA2 XC60
I wonder if any more knowledgable members could tell me if I am trying to do the impossible?

Car is 2006 W209 coupe with NTG2 Comand and w386 phone prep.

Car is new to me, and looking at all the phone options (Viseeo MB4, HFP, SAP etc) I thought SAP with a SIM card would suit me best. I use a Lumia Windows phone and am very short of power sockets (only 1 in front). The plan is to use a dedicated SIM (Vodafone PAYG) in the car and divert my mobile to it when driving.

So I acquired a SAP v4 (A212 906 53 02) as listed on the Mercedes-Benz mobile website against a W209.

However, the instructions for it address Bluetooth phone connectivity in some detail, but do not cover authorising the connection to Comand when using a SIM card inside the SAP.

I managed to get some connection as the phone book on the SIM card did load into the Comand unit, but I seem unable to locate the authorisation code that the Comand unit is asking for.

It doesn't help that the SAP unit came from Germany with a Dutch manual. I have downloaded the Mereceds-Benz mobile site instructions for SAP v4 (which are headed v3 by the way), but they only talk about Comand generating a code for entry on a mobile phone.

Is there anyway to set this up?

I've done much the same as you - I think it was the V4 SAP, rather than the V3. I acquired a Tesco PAYG SIM for exclusive use in the SAP module. I agree that the instructions are not quite 'idiot proof'.

My recollection is that using the internal SIM doesn't require any form of Bluetooth registration - put the SIM in the module, switch on & it all just works. You may have to dis/reconnect the SAP module from the connector in the armrest to reset it; the SAP module is still powered up with the ignition off.

Ian.

Thank you IanW for your reply, at least the theory is sound then.

Tried again this evening, but still no joy.

I removed the SAP v4 and reset the COMAND unit, then started afresh.

Connected the SAP v4 and inserted the Vodafone PAYG. Then turned on COMAND and pressed TEL.

COMAND seemed to recognised SAP v4 as the phone book entries on the SIM appeared in COMAND. However, no network id nor any signal strength bars appeared and on trying to make a call the message 'NOT LOGGED IN CALL NOT POSSIBLE' appeared.

I did get a message stating 'Please activate phone' and then 'Please wait' in between call attempts.

Could someone tell me if I am leaving out some basic steps?

My SAP is v3 - A212 906 8600 - so there might be some differences.

However, I've just run through the process again without any problems. I get the messages "Pls insert SIM card", then "Insert phone", "Please wait" then finally "TESCO", with 4 bars showing on the COMAND display.

At no point does the internal SIM require an authorisation code - the code is only required for Bluetooth pairing, and the internal SIM is a wired, not radio, connection.

Having re-read your post, it appears that the connection between the SIM+SAP+COMAND is working fine: the list of contacts is downloaded into COMAND OK, so the connection must be working. Your problem appears to be on the radio side - the radio in the SAP is not able to find and log on to the Vodafone network.

1. Does this SIM work in a normal mobile phone at this location?
2. Can you borrow a wired cradle+phone (e.g. Nokia 6310) to check the car GSM antenna & wiring?
3. Check that the SAP module is not in Bluetooth mode. The blue LED should not be flashing on the SAP. The pairing range is quite impressive.

Ian.

Problem (mostly) solved.

Its all down to where I live and signal strength.

I went for a drive around this afternoon and as soon as I reached 'A' roads, the dash displayed '2G Vodafone UK' , then '3G Vodafone UK' and phone calls from SAP/COMAND worked.

On returning home (from the other direction) signal lasted until 100 metres from my house.

The only issue I may look into was that I thought the car's aerial was meant to outperform a mobile's signal reception. But I can live with it as I really only need communications when away from home.

Thanks to IanW for replying with some sound problem resolution steps.

The external car aerial should be much better than a phone inside the car (not to mention a phone in your pocket). You should check at least the amplifier (antenna feeder loss compensator) and all connectors. It should be better even if the amplifier was bypassed.

Thanks Diesel Benz,

Could you point me towards its location on a C209?

The ECP diagram on vin17 just shows all the phone units over an outline of the rear half of the car.

Last edited:
Should find it from the carrier at the front part of the trunk floor.

There is one more thing that you might need to look at, if I remember right, the antenna system is built for 900 & 1800 MHz, not sure how well it works for 3G or 4G coverage. I guess the BT SAP V4 adapter does not even support 4G but does 3G? Someone who knows this detail or has personal experience, could clarify.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    194.1 KB · Views: 27
Many thanks Diesel Benz for the picture.

I will check the connections and test reception with the compensator bypassed later today.

I know the previous owner parked the car outside as it showed up on Google Streetview and his garage looked too small to use. Maybe a little humidity has affected the connections?

Regarding the frequencies, I only wanted voice communication, so I didn't bother too much about data. But I know the v4 supports UMTS, which is used for 3G, and in the UK, O2 and Vodafone 3G use both 900 and 2100, whereas 3, Orange and T-Mobile use only 2100.

Spot on Diesel Benz.

Reseated in and out co-ax connectors on the compensator and got a marginal improvement in reception - signal obtained to 10 meters of my gates compared to 100 metres.

By-passed compensator by connecting in and out co-axes together (some forethought on somebody's part to fit appropriate male/female connectors) and good strength 3G Vodafone signal obtained right by my garage.

Will now see how recption is w/o compensator for a few days, and then probably replace compensator (211 820 08 85, although 17vin.com indicates 4 later versions).

Many thanks for your guidance and diagram.

Quick bump of this thread to say that this sounds like exactly what I needed to know!

It's an almost identical situation; I've put a SAP v2 adaptor with a SIM card in it in my C209. - COMAND can see the handful of numbers I saved to the SIM, but so far hasn't found any networks. The SIM does work (and is a duplicate of the one in my new phone) because I pulled it out of my old phone.

I'll try bypassing that compensator tomorrow (if it's not pouring down).

No joy. - Can someone confirm that I've done this correctly?

Bypass the amplifier module like so:
HjjFA-2xGmI4Q0_e0gnv-uvGPtGE0jYO5obvlVmaO55YhrrEqYEwVuOuZC0_EFNTkVnd6jpYkC1AEpM=w1280-h1024-rw-no

...but the dashboard still gives me this message:
ySZey6cP9uQrUIeO3-uAHInYSj-a3UV_zyQCEibwj8shROFP7YDi7AHHOSXX1nsP8cdhaXflfLrEFB0=w1280-h1024-rw-no

Do I need to buy a new compensator, or is there some other troubleshooting to be done (like checking it has power)?

Pobody: Can't see any images in your last post.

Errr... let me see if I can fix it. - They must be set as private.... and I can't edit the post, so try again?

This is my bypassed amplifier module:
fGRlxw7wrf2jZYNQD-oi7VTRNXbl9KKrQAwpbvkXLdnvZu6lHtXVmXqrFqZhipZWwwJNxQYtkYQ_IHrLNCxGBMHnxPtbap_PrzChNij-lzqO0RHsWjTFjrxXthYb8wyd0C-zVFm2a9Ap1m-kfHu4_Q6GKf74R0Ux3V2uwCdpw8-bl_clnMYue71Z25EEH9bqTqwBhoAYVTqmGKYfZB-jz1-fKsgi4eZ1DSSeOcwAZh5Bv82ZlXCXvsJypKVM2JjUQnGPIjpYrMS9-bje7AWkjjU9a48S358ZTocLC6WK6Z217ahnYLFQcqjvmaZ0j4twetbuXxlvrinlfVXyefV4X5235QJ4kyS8u12Wu3KDudV7Bj4vCU8XnPnaphPt8isJ8i0tKVvr7U8JCGdDeF6t03mp_3WJkuA36jNcZGZgy87YZkdZFklleh_cVVoWv-sEW8yTwHAMhFslegd7efJDEfQIe2oliEnhhdK9g23AJPJtu6lrKz0XlxVJOcWS2tDzCHMxcIWsglBj-O-032aXgCQkORFF8n-_ZDERykOFUj_ENlWOrdgNuuDDsqnY_FQkX2vyqpTMdHtGS_L-jXu5xj4KI51-ltkudrZiqhyqr2DoKT4soQ=s862-no

This is the dashboard message. - COMAND can see there's a SIM card, but it can't find any networks:
eiCsIP1110aHzmIT86ocLyZMN-KXiUWv2kFnPtDUS1J9Qdadiepj4PnDInE9-51o21KjReFFljAbbAUuSuCjF0RglWNCFSAM6iw4QX9fSrTTG1eRowdG1slSbQS7RrNQlxY1HTiiizOHGilVAy1ZUNvGJBlB9Ec7b12QQvMlJ5WKcFmvVZ87Av3ZQ979qIpzw7gOuRazkJlLLM25_JHcd2MLLTW9z7evVmeBPPXs1ZM_XI1-nW5hYk9lfS2QeMDYF-OeIRCBqD0PJQu2BQF_Pw-BpTfwsN2IE8LOTPyu39AJTyrLB-7M3TbM6n5f6IqbrCq6P_OodQOvSYN7ee6tlXk9P2s2FhvPxY_IScG8fKFfkGIrm9PgELi5q7qEQTromJjmtQTuVKEgcU13UXbTHUzKeHL3xHLxJuSmYLNRKE8zaM4T96jJlS5h6O6nNZxBSsC-GrniklzBYzpBJ0wGvPKF3I7iDVKyngY03nDxddfxziR-yEIMh6mw8v9yxSfXHj_zkQKKT0YMjsYmlHLfc97dxen0KYFsE62SiAtHDQIRw-xC1DzjuZKIS6Zs-4-cxhALDSxGREmff3xKKuz7I-QdlVjbBhti8EVYGjcImMPEq14xzw=s862-no

Last edited:
Yes, that's how I bypassed my compensator.

Maybe suspicion starts to fall on the antenna itself?

Might be worth driving around for a while with the compensator bypassed just to see if you get a signal anywhere else - mine varied wildly as I live in a pretty rural backwater.

PS Have you checked your sim card's service provider uses 900 or 1800 frequencies?

I think the SAP module uses these 2 frequencies (and the compensator boosts these 2), as other posts upthread mentioned several providers have moved away from these frequencies nowadays. (I am using a Vodafone payg sim card in mine.)

Last edited:
Any one here got the SAP v4 working with android 6.0 or later?

I cannot get the thing to pair with my phone (Samsung Note 5) but with a S4 mini it pairs, get cell network, but cannot do call's!!!

Any directions?

Also W209 and got the SAP v4 because my viseeo MB4+ is a piece of sh... it connect's only some times, as many people are complaining about!

I use a SAP V4 with Samsung phones the best so far is Samsung A3 (2017) this uses Android 7.0
Sorry to answer over a year late. I feel I’m the only one who loves the convenience of exceptional
call reception by using the external antenna.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom