Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mepster

Car
C200 Kompressor
Hello Folks,

I've recently gotten a C-200 (02 plate) and the stereo in it has developed a fault, and need to replace it, so decided to take the plunge and purchase a Sony XAV-601BT as it looks a solid unit, with plenty of connectivity!

I plan to install it myself, but thought I ought to seek some advice before doing so, now I'm fairly adept at technical things, though mainly i specialize in computing problems and hardware.

anyway to the point!

through reading various posts here and other google searches, I understand the device may need to tap an ignition feed? is this the case with the w203?

also it has a connector for the foot break, that needs to be connected... is the foot break switch difficult to locate?

any help regarding this would be greatly appreciated. I'm really keen to do this myself, but dont want to dive in and get swallowed up and ruin the car!

Welcome to the forum :)

I am not familiar with the W203 but most likely you will need a true ignition feed, best place is cig lighter

The connector for the foot brake is so the headunit knows you are stationery. This is so you can watch dvd's, program sat nav etc. You can connect it to a ground so it will be active all the time, but it is not legal to watch anything whilst driving. On mine, I find it easier to punch into my sat nav (or get a passenger to do it) without having to stop the vehicle and put the foot brake on, choice is yours though, as long as you are aware of the implications

I want to install it right, and have absolutely no intention of watching a DVD or anything whilst the car is moving! is it difficult to feed off of the cig lighter?

if there's a CAN-BUS adapter for your car, which there probably is, that will give you an ignition feed, auto lights/dimmer signal, steering-wheel volume control and, I think, a speed pulse message?

one of THESE in fact! :)

Other's are available that may be better, do a search :)

Heroic!! I'll have a look when I get home tonight! I'm really adverse to handing the car over to any pleb at halfords! Cheers for the help!!

I want to install it right, and have absolutely no intention of watching a DVD or anything whilst the car is moving! is it difficult to feed off of the cig lighter?

I didn't think you would, but I was pointing out how it can be installed and what the outcome would be.

I don't watch DVD's at home, let alone in my car :)

Not sure about the foot brake, but on a regular car with a handbrake, you need to connect the wire to the handbrake switch. Normally this is fairly easily accessible but I'm not sure what the MB has in place

You really need to buy the steering wheel adpater, around £35, as this will make it truly plug and play, you will also get the signal for illumination so it all dims down when your lights come on and doesn't blind you at night, speed signal so if you use the Nav on your phone it will carry on even if you loose signal, and it will give you the 12v switched that is needed.

Plus of course you will be able to use your steering wheel controls with it for vol etc.

Car Audio Systems, Car Stereo, Car Radio DAB Stereos, Car Speakers Amplifiers Head Unit can supply it, they also do the double din facia you need as well. Remember to buy the patch lead that hooks the adapter into the head unit, only £5.
Total will be about £50 but trying to do it without these is just annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom