Installing tablet as ICE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

omega1

Car
E400d 2020 4matic (W213)
Hi all,

I'm back after the reluctant sale of my previous MB to take a company car a few years ago, but I'm just about to take posession of my new (used) MB as I hand back my company car...

The vehicle I am buying is as per the image, does anyone know what model this is (not the model of the car, but the manufacturers model reference?) it's a 2010 C220 BlueEfficiency (saloon). I'll be needing a fascia for the existing head end unit as I was thinking of installing a tablet in its place, as it would give me everything I need:

- Sat Nav (I use Waze).
- TuneIn (for radio/audio).
- Basic Internet and Email.

Has anyone tried this?
Do you have any photos/advice?

Technically I have no problem carrying out the install/wiring, but I'm not very good from the 'cosmetic' point of view, so wondered if anyone has successfully (or not!) attempted this?

Good to be back on here and I look forward to picking up the car over the next week or so. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions!

Thanks in advance.

Edit : Ideally a fascia to replace the outlined part in the second image in order to get a decent sized tablet in there? I could locate a replacement amplifier elsewhere if necesarry, but I guess then I'd have problems with the volume controls on the sterring wheel...

Attachments

• mercedes-c-class-c220-saloon-diesel_19402971.jpg
    mercedes-c-class-c220-saloon-diesel_19402971.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 106
  • merc-c220.jpg
    merc-c220.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Yip the Ipad mini thread gave me the idea to do it with my current Mondeo taxi as the head unit in it is crap...

Wife wont let me do the Merc and I am more than happy with the current NTG4.5 in it..

The time is taken with building the surround just right

I made mine unremovable from the taxi which did help and just used a cheap generic 7" tablet rather than an Ipad

Yip the Ipad mini thread gave me the idea to do it with my current Mondeo taxi as the head unit in it is crap...

Wife wont let me do the Merc and I am more than happy with the current NTG4.5 in it..

The time is taken with building the surround just right

I made mine unremovable from the taxi which did help and just used a cheap generic 7" tablet rather than an Ipad

PICS!!!:bannana::bannana::bannana:

Thanks for the replies, I was expecting email notification on replies, but didn;t get any so I thought no-one had answered!

Not really wanting an iPad, I'll be going for an Android based tablet, so I'll have to see what I can find out there...

If anyone else has any thoughts on this I'd be happy to hear them.

Thanks again.

Don't go anywhere near that mate, you'll only be disappointed. I had a slightly older version of one of these and it was absolute pants. Everything worked on it but nothing was slick, it felt and looked cheap. The menus lagged etc etc.

Don't go anywhere near that mate, you'll only be disappointed. I had a slightly older version of one of these and it was absolute pants. Everything worked on it but nothing was slick, it felt and looked cheap. The menus lagged etc etc.

Thanks for the feedback. I wonder if the newer versions are any better, they claim to have a faster processor, so maybe that could address the menu lag...
Any other issues with it?
What was the sound like?
Did you get the steering wheel volume to work with it?

Thanks!

Hi all,

I'm back after the reluctant sale of my previous MB to take a company car a few years ago, but I'm just about to take posession of my new (used) MB as I hand back my company car...

The vehicle I am buying is as per the image, does anyone know what model this is (not the model of the car, but the manufacturers model reference?) it's a 2010 C220 BlueEfficiency (saloon). I'll be needing a fascia for the existing head end unit as I was thinking of installing a tablet in its place, as it would give me everything I need:

- Sat Nav (I use Waze).
- TuneIn (for radio/audio).
- Basic Internet and Email.

Has anyone tried this?
Do you have any photos/advice?

Technically I have no problem carrying out the install/wiring, but I'm not very good from the 'cosmetic' point of view, so wondered if anyone has successfully (or not!) attempted this?

Good to be back on here and I look forward to picking up the car over the next week or so. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions!

Thanks in advance.

Edit : Ideally a fascia to replace the outlined part in the second image in order to get a decent sized tablet in there? I could locate a replacement amplifier elsewhere if necesarry, but I guess then I'd have problems with the volume controls on the sterring wheel...

Just bought mb c200 does anyone know if you can have daytime running lights on wigh main lights at night

Thanks for the feedback. I wonder if the newer versions are any better, they claim to have a faster processor, so maybe that could address the menu lag...
Any other issues with it?
What was the sound like?
Did you get the steering wheel volume to work with it?

Thanks!

There was an issue with it but I can't remember what it was as it was a while ago, I do remember the aftersales being poor though.

Sound was passable but thats all.

It was in a previous car that didn't have steering wheel controls so can't help there mate.

I do remember at the time wishing I had just spent the extra money and got the Kenwood unit.

Thanks again. I'd happily but a better known brand, but I can't find one that offers the freedom of a fully Android based system but at the same time incorporating a head end unit, which is why I was looking at installing a tablet and an amplifier myself.

Does anyone know if there is a better known brand that offers a similar product?

So... I decided to dump the idea of re-inventing the wheel and trying to mount my own tablet, etc... and I have gone with one of these

Eonon G2110 Android 4.2.2 Operation System 2 DIN 6.2 inch Car DVD Player GPS SAT NAV System Bluetooth Touch Screen: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Fingers crossed it will do the job, I liked the full Android capabilities, etc... It will give me Waze (for SatNav) and TuneIn for radio and standard music players, etc... everything I needed from a head end unit...

I'll be doing a step by step guide and will post it once all the bits arrive.

Attachments

• eonon.jpg
    eonon.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 18
I still think you might be disappointed with this mate, I'm fairly sure its another chinese one... I'm certain the one I got was slightly bigger than double din too which caused me problems.

Hopefully everything will be fine with the one you've chosen as they certainly do look good on paper.

I hear you... I decided to take the plunge anyway... I'll feed back and will do the mounting guide while I'm at it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom