Installing While led lights - underneath

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dj_factor

One of my mate has a 2001 CLk 320 and we are thinking of installed 3 (4leds each) lights underneath the car on both left and right side.we were thinking of having them lit up when he presses the unlock key on the remote and they would lite up along with the headlight.

Is it possible and if so, where would I need to connect it to and would it be a good advice or would drain my battery down. (we just want them to be on when he presses the unlock button and then they switch off, or if he can switch them off when not running the car)
Thanks

thanks stevey but i hope i didnt undermine your electrical intelligence with that question. I asked for led light not yellow bright light :p

i'd connect em to something inside the car, if you have a light to illuminate the auto gear selector for instance that comes on with the headlights, or even an instrument light, LED's use very little power so i cant see them draining the battery.

I think a better plan is gonna be to fit lights in the bottom of the doors and wire em to the courtesy lights though, cant see why you'd need lights under the cars floor unless you park right next to a pothole, which i think you'd notice when you got out.

Well I like the idea.
How about connecting them to the interior light circuit, as that comes on when you press the unlock key?

we are trying to get something like this -
dubaibmw.jpg

Thanks Ian, we are looking for puddle led lights just like on the bmw in the picture. The only thing we are stuck is, where to wire it, so they are on with interior light or like how the lights come on, when you unlock the car with your remote rob. any suggestions

Open the door, and in there you will see a door switch, this will control the light coming on and off with the door opening. See fitting iluminated door sills for more details.

If you want to take it off the interior light, it will be controlled with the key.

Take out the interior light and run a wire from there I would say to the sills. Not easy, but will get the right effect.

Ian

As popuptoaster says wire them to the interior light (pop it out, connect up and run the wire across the headlining and down under the A-pillar capping to the floor).

If you just want puddle lights (and not Barry neons) why not just fit the standard MB puddle lights (wired into the door controller - pin 4 or 5 from memory). You can get brighter LED bulbs for these easily enough.

im liking that , id maybe do them a bit whiter than that but the idea is good.

remember to do them on the boot area too.

Thanks Ian, will give it a try. Fuzzer if you do it before me, post up a DIY plz ;)

Dont think it looks too bad personally on the SLK in the eBay link you posted.

All the other versions didnt look quite as nice.

Dont think it looks too bad personally on the SLK in the eBay link you posted.

All the other versions didnt look quite as nice.

The ones on the SLK look like the brabus ones. They look really good.

We are looking for 3 -3 led light capsules/puddles on each skirt. I think it would be nice to have 3-4 Max leds in each puddle to give it that special or exotic look. and white leds would be the best, Blue or any other color would look racy and cheap. The main thing is the exact fitting and light emiited + a professional wiring.

I'd pick up the live feed from the interior light fuse. Depending on where the fuse is mounted in your car, running a wire down to the sills won't involve removing too much trim (probably just the kick panels in the footwells.

You are going to have to drill at least one hole in each side of the car to get the wires outside so make sure you put a grommet in and seal the final installation with silicone to guard against leaks

Done right, I think it should look OK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom