Instrument Binnacle Lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Howard

MB Club Veteran
Car
2018 C63 Wagon / CLK430 / A150 / VW Pink Floyd Golf Cabriolet
I have a couple of lights not working in my instrument binnacle ...

It is the one/ones that illuminate the petrol display and the left hand side of the speedo ...

I've had a look at the EPC , but it apprears that there are two bulbs , does anyone know which ones i need ?

I'm thinking #17 , but it could equally be #20 ....

http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...702T095181&CT=F&cat=45Y&SID=54&SGR=585&SGN=18

Anyone ?

Get both they cant be expensive?

PM me your VIN and I will have a look

Might be of use?

Attachments

• Removing and installing bulbs in instrument cluster - CLK 208.pdf
    60.8 KB · Views: 38
Howard,

I've got to do a bulb or two in a mate's facelift CLK 208 at some point, if you need me to check I could try for you?

I've got a couple of spare cluster bulbs anyway, I think there's a couple of types (different colour codes - grey etc?)

Will

That'd be cool mate .

I'm a bit nervous about taking the cluster out to be honest ....

I can get the bulbs from Yates , so no probelms there...

What do you mean different colour codes ?

Looking at the PDF that whitenemesis posted , it is bulb E8 that i need , looks like there are 4 of them , its just one that has failed , the one that illuminates the left hand side of the speedo and the fuel gauge ..

H

Hi Howard,

I'm going from memory of other similar clusters (eg W202 etc), but IIRC there are different wattage bulbs for different parts - and I think MB colour code the plastic part of the bulb so you know what type they are.

The cluster is a doddle to remove, they're only held in by friction (and no speedo cable like the old-school ones), but the LCD bits are very fragile, so I'd naturally be 'nervous' as well.

I'm happy to assist and instruct :), but I don't fancy being responsible for someone elses perfect cluster suffering a faulty LCD panel! :eek:

It's unlikely overall, but you know what I mean ;)

Will

Hi Howard,

I have a bulb out in my 124 at the moment. I was advised to ensure i get the proper one from MB as ones from halfords may be too bright and look wrong + melt the casing!

i'd get both from MB. Cluster comes out easily enough. I had my CLK one out several times. If its been removed already, then you will probably be able to pull it out with your hands - press down on the lower part of the cluster and pull out. Otherwise use the MB tool or modified coat hangers

Agree with silversaloon, get the bulbs from MB.

Numerous reports of melted bulb holders and uneven illumination through the wrong bulbs fitted....

I'd suggest replacing all bulbs of the same type at the same time. The ones that haven't gone will be blackened to some degree so a mix of old and new may well give uneven illumination.

I would get them from MB , no Hellfrauds ones for me ...

Interestingly , i just went down to Yates , my local MB place , to get the bulbs ... they weren't that busy in the workshop , and bearing in mind i have seen Alfie and Olly take my cluster out in the old CLK and change bulbs ( so i know how long it takes :- less than 5 minutes all in ) i asked if they would mind just popping the cluster out and sticking them in ...

' Yes sure , but we'll have to charge a half hours labour ( £35.50 + vat ) '

' But i know how long it takes , couldn't you just do me a favour ? '

' Sorry '

' Ok , fine ' , cue 280 horses scrabbling for grip as i left .....

Its a small independant , Mercedes place , used to be a dealership but is too far off the beaten track . I wouldn't say i'm their best customer by a long shot , but i certainly won't be going there again. I've been there for bits for my w124 and my old CLK.

Not begrudging them the opportunity to earn money , but £40 for 5 minutes work .... that's just taking the p*** ...

It may be a longer drive , but i'll go to Brooklands in future.

Intresting, if MB are to do it they would take the steering wheel of (if they follow their own instructions). Half an hour probably isn't too far off.

Not saying it couldn't be done more quickly and a little goodwill on their part would have gone a long way...

Howard,

No need to remove the steering wheel, just lower it down and cover it with a soft cloth/towel or similar.

It should be able to be carefully removed by hand - just edge it out carefully working from side to side. Once it's out, it's a simple 60 second job to remove the faulty lamp(s) and replace.

Easy job - you might as well try it yourself.

Will

I know the theory , and i've seen it done without removing the wheel ...

You know how it is , i'm just nervous about doing it :eek:

Plus i didn't get any bulbs as i left before that :eek:

Go on, give it a go!

You'll be fine :)

Will

I didn't get the bulbs , got the **** and left :eek:

MB World is open till 6pm ;)

Will

I'm going there on sunday , i'll pick some up then ;)

You'll be lucky, parts isn't open on Sunday AFAIK! ;)

Will

Great :crazy:

I'll order some from inchcape then , i'm in no rush ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom