Instrument cluster dead but car drives fine

• Thread starter Deleted member 134751
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi All! I've had nothing but problems with my C180 CDI W204 from 2013. First the coolant started leaking then the motor oil did. Then the car died because my alternator died on the highway. And now i have the same problem that has been described in this forum. Basically the car didn't show any problems. When i started it up, i did not even notice till like 5 minutes later, that only the lights of the instrument cluster was on. I shut off the car to check if the cluster would start normally if i started it up again, but it did not. I then thought there might be some kind of electrical error, so I detached the battery for a minute or 2 and attached it again. I hoped the cluster would work after this. This time it was even worse. Everything of the car is started up like normally and works fine as well, it drives and everything but the cluster is totally dead, no lights nothing. I also noticed that when i go to the clock screen it says to crank up the car to show the clock, while i am driving. So somehow it thinks the car is off while it is running. I also noticed the lights going off right after shutting of the car, while this is not normally the case. When you open the car it also normally lights up but this does not happen either. I also noticed a squeaking shrieking sound whenever i started the car lately for the first time in the day, maybe this is also related? I checked fuse number 28, this was fine so it is not the fuse either. Does anyone have the same? Or has had the same? Could you tell me how you fixed it? Or how it got fixed again? I am hoping it is not the cluster itself since i can not afford replacing that at the moment..

Last edited:
That shrieking sound is the alternator belt slipping due to the extra load after a start.
I would get the charging tested and the belt tension checked before anything else.

That shrieking sound is the alternator belt slipping due to the extra load after a start.
I would get the charging tested and the belt tension checked before anything else.
Probably the alternator pulley clutch needs replacing

Reactions: Ted
It could also be a failing 12v battery. This can cause the instrument display problems and an undercharged battery would add load onto the alternator on start up. Either charge the battery up or replace it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom