Instrument Cluster from km to miles for the first MOT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

juwe01

Car
Sprinter 316 CDI
I do need some help with getting my newly imported Sprinter LHD 2017 906 NCV3 ready for its first MOT. There are 3 things I need to do.
First is change my headlights for driving on the left. This I have already done.
Second on the list is changing my Instrument Cluster from km to miles and that seems to be a problem as my instrument cluster is the Low Line Model and it can not be changed to miles.
I can buy a second hand High Line Instrument Cluster from an Sprinter that has been scrapped in the UK. The problem there is getting the right parts number so it could be programmed to work in my van.
Would anybody here know if any Clusters would be programable to work in my van? And where could I get the programming done. There are so many Diagnostics out there but some of them do not even return my calls.
And I really need someone reliable and that knows what he is doing.
And the third thing is just getting my second rear fog light activated which should not be a problem.
I a looking forward to some help.

I don't think it has to read in MPH. Unless the regulations changed recently. I have seen many imports where the MOT registers "mileage" as KM. It has to have a speedo with no obvious defect but they dont actually check it works.

As above, the tester can register as miles or kilometres when carrying out mot, just make sure he's aware it's km's when you drop the van off. There should also be an option to change the readout via the dash settings.

I remember when a lot of used Japanese motorcycles were being imported in the early 90's stickers were available in MPH and were just stuck on the outer glass on the speedo. looks carp but passed MOT, No idea if such stuff is still available , might be a cheap option 🤷‍♂️

Some years ago we imported a brand new Toyota Previa from Europe.

It had the front headlamps replaced, and I think also a rear fog light added.

As for the speedo, they changed the mechanical pick-up in the gearbox, but didn't change anything on the dash.

The result was that the speedometer said 'Kmh' but was actually reading in mph. So we had a car with a speedometer showing up to 180 mph.........

I remember when a lot of used Japanese motorcycles were being imported in the early 90's stickers were available in MPH and were just stuck on the outer glass on the speedo. looks carp but passed MOT, No idea if such stuff is still available , might be a cheap option 🤷‍♂️

That’s exactly how it is on my bike.
Hasn’t failed an mot in the sixteen years I’ve owned it.

Don't think it matters in KM or Miles. British Trucks have KM as dominant guide on speedo and also mileage is taken from Tacho in KM to fuel up etc, so assume MOT'd in KM.
You can always show miles via a few button presses but don't know if a left hand drive can show Miles. EU gave us KM 😷😳

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom