instrument cluster on r129 500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

demetrios

Car
R129 500SL
Hey ladies and gents.
I need some advice and help with the mystery of my instrument cluster.

My car is a genuine UK car which is confirmed by log book and Daimler gentlemen I spoke to who looked up the vin number
The mystery is that the odo is Km and also where a normal sl has a MPG reading in the top left mine has some kind of 0-20 meter that moves up and down as you drive. It could very well be MPG meter but I don't understand it at all.

Also I have 8yrs of receipt and Motor and also the service stamps with around 5 missing somewhere near the start and it looks like all mileage readings were taken in Km judging from this odo.

As it stands it's on 99000 km which corresponds to the services and receipts I have. So in miles thats roughly 62000

Question is does anyone know why and has anyone seen these instruments before?
Can I change them and get a standard instrument panel to be fitted with the odo matched to what I have now? Even if it's to go on as 99000 miles so as not to complicate the history if I come to sell it on.

Thanks folks
ForumRunner_20140818_135620.jpg

I expect the car was used in Europe quite a bit.

Just swap it with a UK one. Plenty on ebay usually.

Thanks guys.
Had a quick look on ebay most for sale are the later digital versions. I need analogue dials.
How expensive and who could fit it to my car and match the odo readings up to what I have?

Reported.

Are you sure that the odometer is actually in KM and not miles? Easy to test drive a set distance on a map and see what the odo does.

Reason I say is that its possible someone swapped the face plate only as its obvious its a different colour to the rest.
Either that or they swapped the entire centre section.

Are you sure that the odometer is actually in KM and not miles? Easy to test drive a set distance on a map and see what the odo does.

Reason I say is that its possible someone swapped the face plate only as its obvious its a different colour to the rest.
Either that or they swapped the entire centre section.

It's got the consumption in L/100 km too, so it looks like a whole metric cluster.

Is the car LHD or RHD? RHD with this cluster would be an odd combination. If it had been specced for continental driving you'd expect it to be LHD.

Republic of Ireland is RHD with distances in KM??

Well the odo is definitely in KM.

Also the car is RHD
The V5 states It was first registered on 05-08-1992 in the UK.
Would it say if it was Ireland?

The V5 states It was first registered on 05-08-1992 in the UK.

Does it say it was new at first registration?

I think the M-B datacard will say whether it's a UK model or not.

Post VIN and maybe someone can pull the data card . Also, any ideas on previous owners ? This may explain where the car spent some of its life .

Last edited:
Northern Cyprus is another of the places where you would expect right hand drive and metric displays. An owner who exported, changed the clocks for ease of use and brought the car back perhaps? Or simply a Brit who used the car mostly for continental driving but didn't want LHD?
It is unusual though.

The Russian EPC says it had instruments in miles originally (code 461), so looks like it may well have been a UK car which had a different cluster fitted for some reason. If anyone can bring up the datacard that should confirm the country.

Northern Cyprus is another of the places where you would expect right hand drive and metric displays. An owner who exported, changed the clocks for ease of use and brought the car back perhaps? Or simply a Brit who used the car mostly for continental driving but didn't want LHD?
It is unusual though.

Northern cyprus....sore subject.. Our part of Cyprus is also RHD with metric not just northern part

Well hopefully the datacard will help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom