Instrument Cluster Safety Recall S and CL Class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve.D

Car
S320 CDi
Received letter from DaimlerChrysler UK today offering to replace my instrument cluster as part of a safety recall. Bit pissed as I paid a grand to have it replaced in March and tried to get Mercedes to acknowlege that it was a worldwide problem and should be a recall. Anyway will now try again to get them to reimburse. Thought some of you may be effected and persue if no letter received shortly.

Steve.D said:
Received letter from DaimlerChrysler UK today offering to replace my instrument cluster as part of a safety recall. Bit pissed as I paid a grand to have it replaced in March and tried to get Mercedes to acknowlege that it was a worldwide problem and should be a recall. Anyway will now try again to get them to reimburse. Thought some of you may be effected and persue if no letter received shortly.

How old is the car? Did they make any contribution to the repair/replacement as goodwill.

Definitely worth a go, trying for a reimbursement. I've been quite impressed with Customer Services at DCUK when I've dealt with them, albeit I got passed around a lot between departments. Pleasant and come up with the right results for me.

Good luck, and keep us posted. ;)

Steve.D said:

What was the reason you had the cluster changed?

What does the rercall say is the problem and is it CLS as well?

ps Is it this one http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Mercedes-Benz/1162540800000_1163491200000_2006080004A/index.html

Last edited:
Brian WH said:
What was the reason you had the cluster changed?

What does the rercall say is the problem and is it CLS as well?
Far be it for me to gossip but a certain moderator thought it a good idea to make a certain site referring to recalls a 'sticky'? :) :)

This particular recall refers to the 220 and 215 series.

2006080004 refers. :) Looks like you finally found it :)

Regards
John

glojo said:
Far be it for me to gossip but a certain moderator thought it a good idea to make a certain site referring to recalls a 'sticky'? :) :)

Regards
John

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D Thanks for that John, go back to sleep.:rolleyes:

Brian WH said:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D Thanks for that John, go back to sleep.:rolleyes:
Zzzzzzzzzzz Whilst I'm sleeping will you fix the notification thingie please? :D Zzzzzzzzzz

Gud night
John

glojo said:
Zzzzzzzzzzz Whilst I'm sleeping will you fix the notification thingie please? :D Zzzzzzzzzz

Gud night
John

Sorry ask an ADMIN, not on my job-spec mate.:D

If you read through the recall document it clearly details reimbursement for owners already out of pocket.

As a matter of interest what was the fault?

Wully said:
If you read through the recall document it clearly details reimbursement for owners already out of pocket.

As a matter of interest what was the fault?

"The problem with the instruement cluster is caused by the failure of electronic components which affects the background illumination. Under certain lighting conditions, it may become difficult to read numbers on the fuel gauge, engine temperature, tachometer and speedometer. If this is not remedied, the instruement cluster may fail entirely."
Also
"This work will, of course, be free of charge. Whilst your vehicle is with us, we will take the opportunity to ensure that any additional technical upgrades or outstanding service measures are completed"
There is no mention in this letter of reimbursing owners already out of pocket.
Jay

From the alldata website:-
"If the customer has already paid to have this recall campaign repaired and provides adequate documention to support their claim of a non-warranty repair the may be eligible to receive reimbursement"

Just been talking to my local dealer. They still want to check cluster that was installed in March 06 as it may be from batch pre fix/modification. They will also support case for reimbursement but I have to initiate with Mercedes UK to get a case number.

Problem back in March was failure of backlight in cluster, understand from some other sites that two semiconductor components overheat, melt solder and drop off pcb. Mine happened whilst in third lane on motorway at speed and was a little disconcerting. Whole display blank and some functions such as auto headlights did not operate. Fuse F5 blown.

Will update later on outcome.

Car in to dealer today and confirmed cluster installed in March 2006 is in range being recalled. Apparently no new stock in UK right now and on order. They want the car back for a day to replace when new cluster avaiilable.

Have also raised a fault/claim with DCUK and now making the case for claim back of original repair in March, will let forum know result.

glojo said:

Regards
John

Could this be a sticky? Threads disappear so fast now. Important.

John what does "2006080004 refers" mean please???

hawk20 said:

Hi,
It is simply a reference coding for each recall. There is an Issue date then this reference number. Issue dates might be years before the TSB reference number although the issue date of this particular query is Fri, Sep 1, 2006

Merry Christmas,
John

hawk20 said:

He was referring to my post with this service bulletin mate.

Brian WH said:
He was referring to my post with this service bulletin mate.

Thanks Brian I should have posted the link.

Regards,
John

Had instrument cluster replaced today. Also fixed the drainage problem and door seals under recall notice. Only took a couple of hours. Great service by local MB dealer:bannana: .

Thought I would close this off by reporting that dealer finally got hold of a new cluster in early January and changed year old cluster whilst I waited (2 hours). Attempted to claim back the £1k I'd spent last year replacing failed instrument cluster from Daimler Chrysler but as somebody earlier in thread suggested it had to be settled between dealer and me. Got my cheque today so happy result in the end.

Can I just warn folks that when the cluster is refitted it is very important that they reset all the codes correctly. !0,000 miles after my cluster was changed, it kept asking for a second A service. BUT it should be a B service. And it should not just stick to 10,000 miles; it should adjust that by observing how the car is driven, type of journey etc. It didn't. Turned out there is a code to say whether high grade or low grade oil is being used and that was not correctly reset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom