Insurance claim - what to do next

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Be very careful with your insurance company.

I notified my insurer that my trailer had been stolen. They told me on the same call, that my trailer insurance had lapsed (whoops) my fault. So no insurance.

Four months later I go to renew with the same company. I get a massive hike in my premium. Why says I. Well you claimed for a stolen trailer, says they. But it wasn't insured, says I. No but you still made a claim and that is recorded as a claim, even though we never paid out and you never progressed it beyond a two minute telephone call.

It took weeks to get sorted, during which time I couldn't move companies as it showed up as a non-fault claim on the Insurance Data Base.

This is one of the things that vexes me with insurance companies, but with misinterpretation I've found that if you ultimately speak to the right person, common sense prevails. If not, a mention of the Ombudsman helps, if something seems so blatantly unfair.

When someone caught a (rusty) front wing on my parked 88 300CE whilst parking himself (my wife had just parked), I was able to persuade his insurer, armed with the price of a genuine new one, that a replacement was probably as cheap as the labour etc. to repair the damage he had caused. They phoned me back to agree. I don't know how a bonnet would compare price wise, but worth a try, and I wouldn't carry out any work until instructed and agreed by the insurer.

Good luck for pain free outcome.

sry to hear about your mishap, I had the same on my last car when a bucket flew out of the back of a plumbers van onto my bumper. It all got sorted through insurance.

Id definitely aim for a new bonnet - no filler!

also try and get the bodyshop to price up\tidy up\ include any minor work that is needed.

Not six months ago I had the rear wheel arches and tailgate done.....

The price of a new bonnet, in primer, is £557 + VAT. My body shop thinks a new one will be authorised, so I'm leaving them to it. The other driver's insurers (E.R.S.) seem very keen to get on with it, and I expect authorisation for the repairs tomorrow, with any luck. I'm impressed.

Last edited:
The other driver's insurers (E.R.S.) seem very keen to get on with it, and I expect authorisation for the repairs tomorrow, with any luck. I'm impressed.

I think insurers have learned over the last decade that if they get the process expedited they save costs on a clear cut no-fault - particularly if it keeps the claimant onside and avoids involving an accident management company.

One day insurers may play fare. My ex wife had protected no claims and was told "You can have to accidents in a year and keep your no claims in tact" protected no claims is just a con in most cases. Now when you go for a renewal, one thin they ask after how many no claims have you is "Any claims in the past 5 years regardless of fault" Her insurance jumped from £250 a year to £700 a year with one small issue of a door blowing open on a car park and damaging the car next to her. The insurance people said "No claims discount, protected or not is irrelevant if you have a claim" so whats the point of paying to protect your no claims if its going to make no difference come renewal time?

I think insurers have learned over the last decade that if they get the process expedited they save costs on a clear cut no-fault - particularly if it keeps the claimant onside and avoids involving an accident management company.

My first contact was in fact with an accident management company, stating they represented ERS. I smelt a possible rat, so rang ERS, and yes, they were using the claims management company; no rat.

Part of the good service may be down to the fact that I stated clearly that nobody was injured, including undiscovered whiplash, and that no replacement car was required. Even so, I'm impressed.

A lady drove into my parked car last year and kindly left her details. She also called her insurers so when I called her she passed my details on. I got a quote for the repair around £500 and they sent a cheque out that evening.

Obviously not all are like that but some must have a lower limit that they just pay out and be done with it. I never bothered my Ins Comp as I didn't want to confuse them.

A lady drove into my parked car last year and kindly left her details. She also called her insurers so when I called her she passed my details on. I got a quote for the repair around £500 and they sent a cheque out that evening.

Obviously not all are like that but some must have a lower limit that they just pay out and be done with it. I never bothered my Ins Comp as I didn't want to confuse them.

You must still inform your insurance company. They all share information on claims and payments so are likely to find out at some point if you don't.

I think you are legally obliged to inform your insurers after any claim, even when you are not at fault. When you come to renew, you will either have to declare it on the renewal application, or risk 'forgetting' it and hope. If subsequently you, or (worst possible case perhaps...) the ten people you mowed down in a bus shelter queue, then need to make a claim on your insurance, and your insurers find out about the 'forgotten' claim, your insurance will be void. Personally, I wouldn't take the chance.

I think you are legally obliged to inform your insurers after any claim, even when you are not at fault. When you come to renew, you will either have to declare it on the renewal application, or risk 'forgetting' it and hope. If subsequently you, or (worst possible case perhaps...) the ten people you mowed down in a bus shelter queue, then need to make a claim on your insurance, and your insurers find out about the 'forgotten' claim, your insurance will be void. Personally, I wouldn't take the chance.

This is correct. Most people assume they do not need to inform their insurer if they did not actully make a claim on their own policy, and most don't. Even Honest John (wrongly) gave this advise in his column at some point.

The reality is that it all depends on what your policy says and what your insurer asks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom