INSURANCE CLAIM ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spider10

MB Enthusiast
Car
c63 amg w204 now w205 c63
Im confused
How is it possible to have a cat N due to engine failure?
I have seen a few for sale now (M157) bottom end failure
I understand that its a big cost to replace or repair but claim on insurance ,I've never heard of it before

No just the engine, both I've seen the crank had seized
Flood damage I can understand,no damage at all just the engine?
So basically from what I'm seeing is that if your engine let's go you can claim on your insurance

Might have been nicked and screwed into the ground ?

No it hasn't been stolen, recovered either

Well that advert suggests to me that whoever owned it went for a ride over rough ground at speed and ripped the sump off and damaged the engine and so it was recorded as a accident.

Ive just received the story it wasn't recorded as an accident he hit something and damaged the sump which damaged the engine and a claim was made I find it bizarre that you can claim for an engine

Well no matter what I would not buy it.

Ive just received the story it wasn't recorded as an accident he hit something and damaged the sump which damaged the engine and a claim was made I find it bizarre that you can claim for an engine
It's accidental damage, so why not?

"Oh dear I've had a excessive cheapo remap and it's fooked my engine. In a strange coincidence I then managed to completely accidentally drive into a ditch ripping off my sump necessitating a large insurance claim,"

Hmmmmm :)

You may find it bizarre, but the claim was obviously paid out. Presumably the loss assessor was perfectly well aware of the possibility of a remapped engine and would have checked it out, unless of course the engine had been remapped and the owner had actually declared it to the insurance comnpany; some of us do, you know.

It was recorded as an accident; that's why it is a Cat N. If the engine had grenaded itself, the insurers would not have paid out. If the failure had not been due to an accident - whatever that accident was - the insurers would not have paid out. I'm sure the insurers will have tried very hard not to pay out.

Many years ago, my wife damaged the gearbox of her Mini by running over an unlit traffic island in twilight conditions. The insurers paid out on that too.

In a similar vein.

A few years back my dog managed to fall down the stairs and mash up her teeth and the vets bill was over 2 grand. The insurance company refused to pay out saying they didn't cover "dental". My argument was it was accidental damage. I took it all the way and was paid out in the end.

I do not find the claim bizarre, it`s the fact that the Insurance Company accepted it that bothers me.

I'm sure the company will have done its best not to...

It seems pretty clear to me . There was nothing wrong with the engine (it did not seize or blow up) it carried the car to the scene of the accident and then was rewarded by having the bottom smashed out of it by a piece of immovable terrain. It's not just the engine that the insurance is paying out for

It's a crashed car , the insurance paid out for the damage. NOTE: highly unlikely that the only thing damaged is the bottom of the engine , im thinking front sub frame and various other vulnerable bits under there.

I'm not sure that's entirely correct. If there had been structural damage, surely the car would have been a Cat S and not a cat N? Of course, it could be that bolted-on components like the front subframe are not regarded as structural.

I can't see the problem, if a pole went through say the front of a car and smashed the engine causing a write off because of the cost of replacement engine. It was in an accident, and insurers pay to repair the car including and mechanicals involved. I would imagine with the number of speed humps and theur varying heights all over the country, there are many similar claims on cars. My old W245 B class found it hard to clear some speed humps.

In a similar vein.

A few years back my dog managed to fall down the stairs and mash up her teeth and the vets bill was over 2 grand. The insurance company refused to pay out saying they didn't cover "dental". My argument was it was accidental damage. I took it all the way and was paid out in the end.
Love hearing how people beat insurances!

It’s all good information for future claims just incase a lot of people just get pushed around by their insurers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom