Insurance companies refuse to insure Range Rovers after spate of thefts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
my neighbour secures his x5 with lorry steering lock after having another stolen 2 days after purchase

Do the companies actually refuse to cover or do they simply up the premium until no one accepts the cover?
Pretty sure they could get quite a few owners paying massive premiums, for a while anyhow...

So the manufacturers wash their hands even though they have built easily breakable security and no-one questions why Ebay is promoting the general sale of items for commissioning a crime. Am I being naive in thinking that it is about time companies and businesses were held accountable for their actions or inactions?

It used to be the case you had to prove you had a legitimate need for anything to do with lock picking, even as a major motor manufacturing company, back in the 80's we had to prove who we were before we could buy the "gear" to start the vehicle security section.
Now any Tom, D1ck or Harry can meet Mr Slim Jim and his pals Scanning Sammy and Digital Dave.

"BMWs, Range Rovers, Audis, a Porsche, Scania trucks and a Komatsu Excavator were among the 44 vehicles recovered that are worth over £1.2 million. They were destined for African countries, Cyprus, France, the USA, Malaysia and Burma.

Eighteen had been stolen from members of the public in locations such as London, Surrey, Hertfordshire, Northamptonshire, Germany and the Netherlands. The remaining vehicles belonged to companies and had outstanding finance on them."

?Stolen vehicles including Hyundai Veloster, Scania and Mercedes Trucks seized at North Lincolnshire port in £1.2m operation | Scunthorpe Telegraph

Note the bulk of the 44 cars found had outstanding finance, so perhaps cars aren't as easy to steal as people are making out?

So the manufacturers wash their hands even though they have built easily breakable security and no-one questions why Ebay is promoting the general sale of items for commissioning a crime. Am I being naive in thinking that it is about time companies and businesses were held accountable for their actions or inactions?

Your statement is a contradiction; how can a company be held responsible for a thief? The main problem is that Land Rover vehicles are highly desirable.

This Keyless issue has been on the RR Sport forum since the new model came out, but if there is someone absolutely determined to find a way to steal your car then they will and the most extreme version is carjacking.

And it's a BMW system they're using that's a supposed weakness...

Your statement is a contradiction; how can a company be held responsible for a thief? The main problem is that Land Rover vehicles are highly desirable.

This Keyless issue has been on the RR Sport forum since the new model came out, but if there is someone absolutely determined to find a way to steal your car then they will and the most extreme version is carjacking.

And it's a BMW system they're using that's a supposed weakness...

As I understand it, the signal from keyless go is blocked so the car doesn't get locked; the alarm and immobiliser are therefor not active. It was some years ago now when the government put the screws on manufacturers because their locks could be operated with a butter knife and it was costing us/insurance companies fortunes.
Now, there are security systems where the signal can be blocked by a gizmo costing a few quid off Ebay.

Of course they are responsible for making their vehicles easily taken; it's not a secret how it is done and it has been going on for quite some time and they have done nothing to combat it, apparently.

It's a difficult task for all (apart from the thieves). I live in a rural area. The concept of hiding your car keys or keeping them in your bedroom is a No, No.

If they really want the car they will hunt for the keys. This is usually achieved by coming into your bedroom and politely asking you and yours to hand them over. No security combats that and the thieves know this.

Also fingerprint or retina technology can lead to kidnapping (as seen in bank/security depot robberies) so not a favourite with manufacturers. We also see the well known "wait for the insurance to replace it, then nick it again" rule coming into play here.

Nobody has ever attempted to steal my AMG. I am guessing this is because they can't afford the bills to keep it on he road or they worry it will break down before they get it off my drive.

Nobody has ever attempted to steal my AMG. I am guessing this is because they can't afford the bills to keep it on he road or they worry it will break down before they get it off my drive.

:bannana: ROFLOL.

Of course they are responsible for making their vehicles easily taken; it's not a secret how it is done and it has been going on for quite some time and they have done nothing to combat it, apparently.

Any *any* vehicle is easily taken, and like Bruce alludes to, just depends which way you go about taking it, that's my point.

There's an absolute epidemic of the cats being robbed off Mercedes Sprinters (the local dealer had £30k's took in one night!) and this is just another incident that is down to how much value a thief places on certain items and will do their utmost to steal it.

Around this way we have a land pennisular which is about 10 miles of winding country roads from one end to the other, and its a strong boating/affluent area in places, a while ago not so local Scrots played the game of calling in a serious road incident or occupied house burglary at one end of the area knowing there is only ever one patrol car available locally, they then proceeded to smash in the door of the house stealing the keys by force or otherwise and know they had a good 10 minutes of clear time before the police were even close to attending, it happened several times before the cops started stationing traffic division police at our local station......it has stopped now.

How times have changed...

In the eighties an nineties it was the 505 Familiale that were being stolen in the UK and shipped to African destinations ..

Best anti-theft device ever was on my old Hillman Minx. The only way to keep the gear lever in place was by pressing down every time you used it. The thieves who stole it one night didn't know this, so I found the car abandoned the next morning just around the corner with the gear lever lying on the floor! :bannana:

In the eighties an nineties it was the 505 Familiale that were being stolen in the UK and shipped to African destinations ..

Yes, they stole both of them :D

Best anti-theft device ever was on my old Hillman Minx. The only way to keep the gear lever in place was by pressing down every time you used it. The thieves who stole it one night didn't know this, so I found the car abandoned the next morning just around the corner with the gear lever lying on the floor! :bannana:
They abandoned it as soon as they drove under a street lamp and realised what they had taken.........:doh:

Yes with all the diverted foreign aid obtained via corruption, they can now afford Beamers, Merc's & RRs...:rolleyes:

My neighbours 4x4 was stolen off his drive. Found abandoned a few days later with a social security photo card on the drivers seat. Police would not interview the owner of the card as they said he simply claim it was planted there. Three weeks later our discovery was also stolen off the drive and found abandoned with a wrecked transfer box in the same spot. No action taken.

Now here comes the funny part. When I got the Discovery repaired and was driving it home. I was stopped by the Police who had not updated their database to show the car as recovered. Could I convince them I was not thief?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom