Insurance Company Logic - Go Figure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
Aviva renewal through the letterbox - £718.

Me
Ring ring - can you better this, it's not competitive (based up MoneySavingExpert quotes)

Them
Sorry Sir, maybe a £50 saving at best.

Subsequent Aviva Online quote - £360,

:dk:

Getting an insurance quote is a strange business. I added another car to my policy, and the cost went down?????

there is a lot of downward pressure on car insurance at the moment - unless you have had a bang or been very naughty then your renewal premium should now be be a lot less than last year, however they do try it on, be aware some comparison sites aren't exactly what they seem as certain insurance companies have muscled in and possibly influence the quotes

Granted, however, a 100% difference from the same company for the same policy is just madness :crazy:.

I had a very similar think with Barclays and house insurance. Net price was at least 40% cheaper than renewal sent to me and when phoned up was told they could not match their own price. I would have to cancel current policy and take net policy out as a new one.
Didn't renew with Barclays.

Aviva renewal through the letterbox - £718.

Me
Ring ring - can you better this, it's not competitive (based up MoneySavingExpert quotes)

Them
Sorry Sir, maybe a £50 saving at best.

Subsequent Aviva Online quote - £360,

:dk:

As soon as you put your reg number in aviva will reject your new quote, well they did for me anyway.

Did your renewal include proof of no claims discount? If so, easy to change to a new insurer.

As soon as you put your reg number in aviva will reject your new quote, well they did for me anyway.

I spoke to an adviser who confirmed the quote is valid and I've secured the price :thumb:.

Rating confusion is not limited to you guys, those of us who work in the industry find individually rated private motor a minefield too. A good broker, especially one that you build a relationship with will be on your side, the trouble is the many poorly trained call centre staff who work from a script. I have loads of concerns about using comparision sites too, knowing what I know, and I hope the FCA uncovers at least half the bad practices that are all to commonplace during their recently announced investigation.

Most provincial brokers are uncompetitive for young drivers (as many of you know, my firm has a multi vehicle speciality) and so I was using all the usual suspects to get a decent renewal quote for my daughter last week. She's 21 and a 3rd year student at Exeter University but currently working an internship year and the quotes I was getting were typically in the £750 - £1200. At the eleventh hour Endsleigh popped up at £420. I spoke to their call centre and I have to say the reception that I got was a breath of fresh air, taking the trouble to gather information that gocompare did not - really excellent service and thoroughly recommended. As always, bear in mind that their deals will not be good for everyone, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom