Insurance discounts ? !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cheffy

Car
W211 280 CDi Avantgarde
My insurance is coming up for renewal, currently with AA, both my wife's Mondeo, and my CLK, now heres the thing ! both our renewal costs with AA was higher than last year, so I did my usual, shopped around, getting cheaper quotes, etc etc etc.
Now, on here, and also on detailing world, which I am a member, Adrian Flux offers discounts for members of both MB club & detailing World, so I gave them a call yesterday, go through all the usual, giving every piece of information that has happened to us both (my wife and I) since we were born !! and ofcourse all info re both cars ! Then I inform the chap I am a member of both MB Club & Detailing World, and he says, Oh ! that should give you a good discount !!
Now, AA renewal for my car was £238.odds - my new shopping around price - £201.odds - Adrian Flux price - £449.odds ! that is with discount applied for MB Club & Detailing World !!! more than twice the price of my lowest quote, would hate to see what it would have been without the discount.
The price difference for my wifes Mondeo was similar.

And yes, ALL details given to each, re us, the cars, annual milage etc etc were exactly the same.

In the end it was Chaucer Direct that got our business, which was around £90-odd cheaper than staying with the AA, and a HUGE £338 cheaper than going with Adrian Flux.

So, it pays to shop around. :D and take copious amounts of salt with any discounts that may be offered !

Insurance is a crazy market with lots of factors causing prices to vary even day to day with the same company.
Just doing the SLK - renewal with LV £339. Best price I could get was £186 for exactly the same cover with Saga. Saga must be really after market share because they also quoted £126 for comprehensive cover on the 124.

Adrian Flux are a stupid joke! When I phoned up asking for a quote for my car, also mentioning that I am a member of the MB Club.. the price they quoted was just unreal, well into the 4 figure numbers! The chap on the phone was just an arrogant fool, saying after he's just told me the price "so.. you want it or not?". Before the phone call I was really looking forward to having my car insured with them, as "Adrian Flux" had a certain aura about it. Now I just look at them as complete trash, even renamed my desktop trash icon as Adrian Flux.

Ended up staying with Cornhill as they gave me a pretty surprisingly good discount for being loyal with them since I have had my car. I explained the whole scenario with the lady on the phone about AF, she just laughed and said why she is not surprised. She had a word with her manager and quoted me happy :)

Aye - they are a bit of a joke, they advertise in a quite a few car mags with what I know realise "may" be false statemenst ! claiming discounts etc etc. I too the name had a certain ring to it ! I was almost shcked got their quote to be more than double my original AA renewal, and like I said, that was AFTER applying discount for MB Club & Detailing World membership.

I've tried Chris Knott a couple of times on different cars and had stupid prices. Had the same with another one, Adrian Flux, too. I think they have minimum premiums which were higher than we getting elsewhere anyway.

My younger daughter has always struggled compared to her older sister to get decent premiums and this year the renewal with Admiral jumped up. Normally a bit of shopping around and competitive quotes and Admiral will drop their price to be there or thereabouts. But this year (couple of months ago) they just weren't interested.

Best price we could find by miles was Aviva, with their 15weeks free offer (which I just looked and is still on). I expect that'll leap up next year, so that means another search.

The only company I know who don't bump up the renewal price vs a new quote is LV=.

I've tried Chris Knott a couple of times on different cars and had stupid prices. Had the same with another one, Adrian Flux, too. I think they have minimum premiums which were higher than we getting elsewhere anyway.

My younger daughter has always struggled compared to her older sister to get decent premiums and this year the renewal with Admiral jumped up. Normally a bit of shopping around and competitive quotes and Admiral will drop their price to be there or thereabouts. But this year (couple of months ago) they just weren't interested.

Best price we could find by miles was Aviva, with their 15weeks free offer (which I just looked and is still on). I expect that'll leap up next year, so that means another search.

The only company I know who don't bump up the renewal price vs a new quote is LV=.

I've just had the identical problem. Admiral was ALWAYS the Cheapest for me, this year they don't come close and aviva are their replacement!

I've just had the identical problem. Admiral was ALWAYS the Cheapest for me, this year they don't come close and aviva are their replacement!

Just got a couple of quotes for a C350 CDI Sport+, 35yo, 3y NCD, 1 Accident.

Admiral - £694
Aviva - £3140

I was with RSA who only recognise a maximum of 4 years NCD, so one prang and I was back down to 2 years!

I've got three cars insured with Flux now. The main reason for going with them in first place was when I bought my Hilux pickup and they were the only company who would insure it.

Each time a renewal comes through it's ridiculuously expensive. I find the the cheapest quote online, call Flux, and they match the price! Easy!!

Just got a couple of quotes for a C350 CDI Sport+, 35yo, 3y NCD, 1 Accident.

Admiral - £694
Aviva - £3140

I was with RSA who only recognise a maximum of 4 years NCD, so one prang and I was back down to 2 years!

The Aviva 15 weeks free offer is only available to people with 4yrs NCB. Odd how it's so much more than Admiral though. I always find it frustrating that most of the recognised major names are fairly similar prices.

We were very 'quote me happy' with £268 for the E-class this time around. Aviva (the same company) were quoting £330 when we went through the HPI / 7 days free insurance malarkey. Both were cheaper than Admiral who we had previously been insured with.

It always seems to pay to shop around.

Hi

Unfortunately we can’t be competitive on every single quotation, however if possible can you PM your details to me so we can look into the customer service issue. Whilst we might not always be competitive our staff should always be professional and helpful.

With Thanks

Dan

Adrian Flux are a stupid joke! When I phoned up asking for a quote for my car, also mentioning that I am a member of the MB Club.. the price they quoted was just unreal, well into the 4 figure numbers! The chap on the phone was just an arrogant fool, saying after he's just told me the price "so.. you want it or not?". Before the phone call I was really looking forward to having my car insured with them, as "Adrian Flux" had a certain aura about it. Now I just look at them as complete trash, even renamed my desktop trash icon as Adrian Flux.

Ended up staying with Cornhill as they gave me a pretty surprisingly good discount for being loyal with them since I have had my car. I explained the whole scenario with the lady on the phone about AF, she just laughed and said why she is not surprised. She had a word with her manager and quoted me happy :)

We were with Admiral on a multi car policy. Renewal notice came through & youngest sons price was £750 ish. He had found an individual price on-line about £75 cheaper so didn't want to continue with the multi car policy.
I did some checking of individual prices, and the wife's would be £25 cheaper and older son about the same as the multi car.
Then I tried Aviva, don't usually bother as last time I tried they were pricy.
This time:-
Wife - full protected ncd, Volvo C30, business use - £201
21 yr old son, 2 yrs ncd, Citroen C2 - £317
20 yr old son 2 yrs ncd, Skoda Fabia - £343
Overall £600 cheaper than Admiral!

Last edited:
Nice one Moonie - Admiral just quoted me £396, cheapest yet - would be handy if Axa hadnt gone up by 80%!!!!!! Yes you read that right 80% increase on last years price!

I have had several different modified cars with Flux in the 90's and they were always bang on - saddens me to hear they seem to have lost that edge. I had a modified Capri and modified Sierra and they used to quote me cheaper prices than normal insurers quoted on un-modified cars!!

Hi

Unfortunately we can’t be competitive on every single quotation, however if possible can you PM your details to me so we can look into the customer service issue. Whilst we might not always be competitive our staff should always be professional and helpful.

With Thanks

Dan

Do these companies ever advertise or tell customers just what percentage discount they offer on any Club Memberships. :confused:
I suspect it's just a marketing ploy to fool some of the people some of the time.
Logic says that any broker has to pay wages and overheads, so any quotation has their charges included, whether it be in the way of cheaper premium to them from the underwriters than we are offered or by other means.

A year or so back, I received a letter from the company I was insured with , saying that my vehicle had been involved in an accident (it had not) and that a claim had been made against me. I immediately phoned the broker who I had used (no names mentioned, but a well known one who advertise on many motoring club forums and offer discount for club members (not Adrian Flux)) and asked for more details of the alleged accident. They duly contacted the insurance company for more information. The only details they could find out were a) my vehicle turned into a road and into the side of another vehicle. b) the name of the driver of my vehicle, surname only and a person I didn't even know, let alone allow to drive my car. So I asked, 'where did the accident happen', 'Don't know'. 'what was the make and registration number of the other vehicle', 'Don't know'. 'what is the other drivers name', 'Don't know'.

The irony of it all was I received the original letter 5 months before my insurance was due for renewal and as is normal (they told me) they couldn't close the claim for 6 months. Hence at renewal time I was logged as having an on going claim, which I had to declare when obtaining quotes from other companies. :eek:

I never did get to the bottom of it, but did eventually manage to get the additional premium, due to the alleged accident, refunded. (Without admin charges too) :p
So me having a suspicious mind.......... wonder :confused:

Last edited:
Do these companies ever advertise or tell customers just what percentage discount they offer on any Club Memberships. :confused:
I suspect it's just a marketing ploy to fool some of the people some of the time.
Logic says that any broker has to pay wages and overheads, so any quotation has their charges included, whether it be in the way of cheaper premium to them from the underwriters than we are offered or by other means.

A year or so back, I received a letter from the company I was insured with , saying that my vehicle had been involved in an accident (it had not) and that a claim had been made against me. I immediately phoned the broker who I had used (no names mentioned, but a well known one who advertise on many motoring club forums and offer discount for club members (not Adrian Flux)) and asked for more details of the alleged accident. They duly contacted the insurance company for more information. The only details they could find out were a) my vehicle turned into a road and into the side of another vehicle. b) the name of the driver of my vehicle, surname only and a person I didn't even know, let alone allow to drive my car. So I asked, 'where did the accident happen', 'Don't know'. 'what was the make and registration number of the other vehicle', 'Don't know'. 'what is the other drivers name', 'Don't know'.

The irony of it all was I received the original letter 5 months before my insurance was due for renewal and as is normal (they told me) they couldn't close the claim for 6 months. Hence at renewal time I was logged as having an on going claim, which I had to declare when obtaining quotes from other companies. :eek:

I never did get to the bottom of it, but did eventually manage to get the additional premium, due to the alleged accident, refunded. (Without admin charges too) :p
So me having a suspicious mind.......... wonder :confused:
Hi,
Just to let you know the we offer genuine discounts of up to 15% for clubs members with a wide selection of our schemes. Unfortunately we are unable to be competitive every time and of course there will be cases when a standard screen type product with no club discount is out most competitive option.
Regards,
Dan.

I had a policy lapse with elephant once because I was away for a while, when i called up I was given a higher price then the renewal quote, since they said it would have to be a new policy; they then told me to buy it from Go compare, I looked on Go compare, and the price with Elephant was cheaper then their own renewal!

Of course I then got lots of letters from them asking for proof of ncb despite the fact I told them several times they should just post it to themselves!

If anyone offers a discount I first check the price online, or get a price over the phone, then ask for the discount to be applied.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom