insurance for a 300td

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nick.ged

Car
mutty the nail; wide body amg 124 coupe
brought a 300td yesterday, for use of my partner and I, its a 1998 and was 850 quid.

insurance for this is being quoted at between 500 and 1000 pounds, third party, I am amazed, why so high, we are both uk citizens, have clean licenses and have been driving for twenty odd years.

Have you tried a comprehensive quote? Sometimes, third party can be more expensive.

I am paying just under £400ish comprehensive with full NCB unprotected for my W124 on street parking, with one SP30 and 28 years driving. Yours seems very high indeed - have you tried a price comparison site, saved me a lot.

Last edited:
As above. Strangely, and because of lack of demand, third party is usually (nowadays) dearer than comp..

I can't see 3rd party being more expensive, it wasn't when I insured a car a month ago, but the difference once windscreen and legal cover were added in made it not worthwhile.

Nick, how much n-claims discount do you have? The 300TD is a fairly high group car.

Just to add my agreement to the above, just sold a 300TD and replaced with a V6 petrol 190 bhp MG ZT which i thought would be a jump in insurance and got £19 pound back even after admin fees.
Remember in their early days the 300 was the fastest accelerating and top speed diesel car, maybe that info still counts for something...

establish your annual mileage and consider classic car insurance. If you think that your partner is going to do less than 8-6k a year it might be worth checking.

peter best agreed value 5k w124 diesel £250 full comp

ended up paying 485 for it, third party f/f.

I know insurance has gone up but our alfa at £11,000 value and fully comp is less than the 300td?

it really is a joke, the car is a nice old smoker, but its performance is very lack lustre to say the least, maybe they have a lot of accidents due to being so slow, owners get caught out on roundabouts or overtaking ect and have loads of accidents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom