Insurance for an import

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frenchchaz

Car
E240 Estate - dead! Now E220 Estate
I need to arrange some insurance for my 2004 E240 Estate which is currently on a French registration while I re-register it with the DVLA. Its previously been UK reg'd and is UK spec & RHD - it will need insuring on the French reg or VIN while the DVLA re-issue the old number. Anyone know who arranges this as I expect to get nonsense from the Meerkats and a friend who did the same recently got charged £240 for 10 days cover!

TIA Chaz

If I remember correctly I managed to insure both our Jersey registered cars (which we imported into the uk in 2015 when we moved back here ) on the Vin number for 28 days with Direct Line

Was the car originally registered in the UK ? - If so, give any of the usual insurance companies/brokers a call to confirm that they will cover it. They should be able to insure it with the French plate currently on the car, and you would need to contact them again when you put the UK registration number back on the car. (Just like you would if the current [French] registration plate was a personal/vanity plate).
You could run a Meerkat quote based on the vehicle [without using the registration number], and then call any of the companies that offer a reasonable quote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom