• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Insurance for France Holiday

Eddy77

SUPPORTER
Car
2008 CLK 350 Sport Cab and 2021 BMW 520i M Sport Saloon
Hi there,

Just booked a holiday in southern France for august. Driving down. I note my insurance no longer covers European travel as standard. I will need to add it on I guess. Question, have we gone back to green card etc and is there anything else insurance wise to be aware of. I’ve driven all over France for years as my family used to live there but since 2017 they moved back here and I’ve never been back since brexit took hold. I’m fine with all the rest of it; but the insurance situation has changed now so thought I’d ask what I should expect to need in the summer.

I use a Nationwide account that has Health cover and European recovery as a benefit . Never used it though

the insurance situation has changed now.
It hasn't changed at all, some companies have always allowed you to go abroad, some never have without you paying for the privilage.
I was with Hastings many years ago, never thought about Europe until I discovered I wasn't covered outside of the UK. A quick phone call and I was told they wanted an extra £88 for 10 days in France, if I wanted to go again later in the year, that would be another £88. When I protested I was told I should have bought their dearest insurance package as it covered going abroad.
Some companies which are fully comp in the UK only cover you for 3rd Party in the EU, some will not cover you at all.
You need to check your policy, but if going abroad the cheapest policies are rarely the best. Nothing to do with Brexit, it's always been like this.

Just noticed this, France, August?
The whole country shuts down in August and they all head for the m/ways and toll roads, be ready for long queues everywhere.
That's one of the reasons I never use the tolls.

Hi there,

Just booked a holiday in southern France for august. Driving down. I note my insurance no longer covers European travel as standard. I will need to add it on I guess. Question, have we gone back to green card etc and is there anything else insurance wise to be aware of. I’ve driven all over France for years as my family used to live there but since 2017 they moved back here and I’ve never been back since brexit took hold. I’m fine with all the rest of it; but the insurance situation has changed now so thought I’d ask what I should expect to need in the summer.
Nothing's changed. It's all outlined in your policy.
You've "probably" got third party cover abroad, but not automatically got comprehensive, repair and recovery.
Aviva do a simple online "tick box" addition which adds it in. And then print the pages showing it.

On a separate point, For me it's far cheaper to use the insurance company's repair and recover option, rather than AA.

French bureaucracy being what it is, the stated requirement is that you must have proof of insurance and your V5 owner's document in your glovebox, but no-one ever checks.

If you've still got valid "in-date" EHIC health cards they're just as valid as ever. If you haven't, just apply for the new GHIC card which gives you just the same health cover as ever. (i.e. it re-bills the NHS with any emergency and on-holiday work you might need)

One bit of good news is that we used to expect to see at least one crash on the side of the road during any two week holiday. For some reason there aren't so many visible any more.

And remember to take your patience. August traffic is horrendous, especially on the weekends. At least you've got better air con and in car entertainment than we used to have. Being able to listen to podcasts and UK radio all the way makes a world of difference compared to NRG and Eurobeat.

Maybe there are less crashes seen on the side of the road because (I hear) the French police and judicial system has come down really , really heavy on speeding motorists recently.

That includes drivers from other countries.

Maybe there are less crashes seen on the side of the road because (I hear) the French police and judicial system has come down really , really heavy on speeding motorists recently.
That includes drivers from other countries.
And on alcohol: far lower limits than the UK.
That said, as the OP knows, the French do love to drink and drive at lunchtime, but they drink nothing like our volume.
Another factor is that the police are much more visible than the UK. A leftover, maybe, from the days of Vigipirate and the War on Terror.

I’m fine with all the rest of it; but the insurance situation has changed now so thought I’d ask what I should expect to need in the summer.

It's a bit variable - as regards getting full cover on a comprehensive policy.

With Aviva a few years back the add on to provide comprehensive cover for Europe on my policy was surprisingly low (something like £16 extra for the remaining part of the year).

With LV I was surprised to find I have cover as standard for driving abroad in Europe for up to 180 days on a comprehensive policy.

So you need to check with your insurer. You may be lucky enough find you have the cover you need already.

NFU standard european cover except the Nurburg ring now , but for only about £20 extra you get european breakdown cover as well. I have taken that but not needed it but a friend driving a Jag XK alongside me broke at the top of the Stelvio and the response was outstanding, car collected on a flatbed fixed and returned 24 hrs later for absolutely no extra.I had mobilo at that time but was so impressed that I have paid the extra with NFU ever since.

Thanks all! Turns out I do have comprehensive cover as standard. Glad I checked! I’m aware of the traffic situation. Been there many times over the summer so know what I’m in for. We’re staying inland for this reason and when we do want to venture to the coast we will leave early doors and get there before the crowds.

It hasn't changed at all, some companies have always allowed you to go abroad, some never have without you paying for the privilage.
It has.....

Until BREXIT All UK vehicle insurance legally had to provide cover to drive in: the EU (including Ireland) Andorra. Bosnia and Herzegovina.....the only issue is that some reduced that cover to Third Party for European travel.

It has.....

Until BREXIT All UK vehicle insurance legally had to provide cover to drive in: the EU (including Ireland) Andorra. Bosnia and Herzegovina.....the only issue is that some reduced that cover to Third Party for European travel.
And they still do the same, nothing has changed. Andorra isn't in the EU and some companies do not insure you to drive there.

Hi , just received from LV our annual multi trip policy quote.

Quote has gone up from £330 to £450.00 ! ( I was told nicely take it or leave it )

Rang up LV and asked for the same cover as above policy but on a single trip policy.

Quote £1045.00 and that's with a 10 % discount.

Hi , just received from LV our annual multi trip policy quote.
Quote has gone up from £330 to £450.00 ! ( I was told nicely take it or leave it )
Rang up LV and asked for the same cover as above policy but on a single trip policy.
Quote £1045.00 and that's with a 10 % discount.
Struggling to understand what's being said here.
I'm with Aviva multi-car, adding foreign cover when a trip's coming up, and removing it when that trip is over.
That's car collision insurance as well as repair / recovery while in Europe. (I use AA for UK cover the rest of the time)
In a normal year I spend 4-5 months in the EU during 2-3 trips.

Extra cost: definitely no more than £100 a year. And I've been doing this for years. But then I don't have collisions or claims.

European cover, including repair and recovery hasn't been "expensive" for a long time. (More than a couple of decades?)

European cover, including repair and recovery hasn't been "expensive" for a long time. (More than a couple of decades?)
Really? I was with Hastings a few years ago and found out I was not covered in Europe, enquired how much extra to go to France for 10 days and was quoted £88, I told them I was going a second time later in the year and was told it would be £88 each time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom