Insurance Fraud

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

talltrees

Car
GLC 220d, C43 Coupe
Received documents In post for insurance and credit agreement in my name and address for a car unknown to me. Next post is a letter saying they think the insurance is fraud and therfore they have cancelled the policy. I am aware of this type of scam with ghost brokers. However when checking the policy reg no. It comes back as a similar car to the the one I drive (make, colour, engine cc, fuel type) this combination is not common so - it looks like the car they were trying to insure is likely the same as mine.
Just wondering what the scam is and what steps to take.
Thanks for thoughts.

Firstly, I suggest you try and think how they managed to obtain all that information about you, to be able to get as far as they did.

Firstly, I suggest you try and think how they managed to obtain all that information about you, to be able to get as far as they did.
Fraud detection in the insurance industry has become considerably more sophisticated than when I was involved with it decades ago. Insurers share all sorts of info nowadays and I suspect some red flag was found in the application for the policy. It's unlikely that the Insurers will divulge how their fraud detection works. The OP should write to the Insurer involved explaining the issue, to prevent any adverse insurance history being attached to his name, and advise Action Fraud as above.

I'm wondering where the scam is in this particular, er, scam, too...

I'm wondering where the scam is in this particular, er, scam, too...
Could be part of some identity theft scam of course, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility that Insurer/intermediary has simply made a mistake, issuing the documents to the wrong person. A few times I've had documents of all types sent to me, in my name or someone else's name, with a follow up letter apologizing that a mistake had been made , due to a computer "glitch". This has included hospital and doctors appointments as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom