Insurance query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MissyD

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E200 1993, E300 Coupe 2019
Today my neighbour drove her car into my wall and knocked the end pillar off and half of the wall next to it. The main pillar luckily missed the back of my CLK, but part of the wall did catch the rear bumper and left a small 2 inch scratch. My neighbour's husband called round to say about getting it sorted and to give my insurance details. Ive never had to claim anything or give my details before, is this the correct procedure, will it affect my insurance?

He should report the incident to his insurer and they will call you to sort it out. All he needs to give his insurer at this stage is your phone number.

Alternatively you can ask for his insurance details, then call his insurer and make a claim against his policy as third party.

Said that, there's no harm in giving him your insurance details (and you will need to report this to your own insurer anyway). But given that your car was legally parked at the time of the accident, you don't have to give him your insurance details if you don't want to.

Today my neighbour drove her car into my wall and knocked the end pillar off and half of the wall next to it. The main pillar luckily missed the back of my CLK, but part of the wall did catch the rear bumper and left a small 2 inch scratch. My neighbour's husband called round to say about getting it sorted and to give my insurance details. Ive never had to claim anything or give my details before, is this the correct procedure, will it affect my insurance?

Technically you don't need to go through your car insurance - just claim off theirs.

So they need to inform their insurer and provide *you* with their insurance details.

Technically you do need to inform your insurers. Though chances are they won't be bothered as long as the other party's insurers deal with it.

Will it affect your insurance. Possibly. Some insurers will bump a premium even for an incident that wasn't your fault. But it should affect no-claims.

What about your wall? That should be claimed from them as well.

You can give your neighbour your insurance company details but you will be claiming from her insurance, not yours.
She is at fault and your insurance NCB or premium should not be affected.

Personally I would refuse to give my insurance details in said circumstances, the only reason for them to want it is to try and claim from you or they may be looking for an angle, if you were uninsured they could use that as leverage against you....

They messed up they pay simple.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Unfortunately if your neighbour is going through their insurance then you will need to inform your insurers for car and home as well. This will likely result in a slightly increased premium on your renewal but like all conscientious buyers i am sure you will shop around come renewal so the impact may be negligable.

Check your policies closely, most state you are obliged to inform them of any incident that "may" lead to a claim or effect your insurance. This should not lead to a claim as you have another party responsible...

Thanks guys for your comments, I appreciate them. I'll let you know how it goes.

To comply with section 170 of the road traffic act, you must exchange details with the other party, this will include insurance details. The insurance companies will then sort out blame and payments, and arrange vehicle repairs, regarding the wall, as it was caused by an RTC (even if off road, law states that "due to presence of a motor vehicle", it will and should be paid for by their insurance company as well as damage to your car.
Let them sort it all out, thats what we pay them for, it should not have any affect on your policy or NCB discount.

To comply with section 170 of the road traffic act, you must exchange details with the other party, this will include insurance details. The insurance companies will then sort out blame and payments, and arrange vehicle repairs, regarding the wall, as it was caused by an RTC (even if off road, law states that "due to presence of a motor vehicle", it will and should be paid for by their insurance company as well as damage to your car.
Let them sort it all out, thats what we pay them for, it should not have any affect on your policy or NCB discount.
This only applies to motor accidents involving 2 or more vehicles, e.g. if you are asleep in your bed at night, a non driver and a car ploughes into your house how can you be expected to have car insurance to exchange, common sense guys please...

Read post.
Car hits wall, wall damages other car, hence two cars involved. The car that hit the wall caused damage to other car it does not matter that cars did not touch.
If your car parked, and another car hit a lamp post which fell on your car you would seek damages from car that hit the lamp post, not the council who owned said lamp post.

And if a car ploughs into your house you would still exchange insurance details, but it would be your buildings cover insurance.

And if a car ploughs into your house you would still exchange insurance details, but it would be your buildings cover insurance.
Our bin men actually hit my wall and damaged a light, do you think I rushed out and said "hey you hit my brick wall here is my buildings insurance I am so sorry you can't drive properly please do feel free to claim on it as I love it when my premiums increase" or do you think I got the drivers details and reported him to the council and received an apology and compensation?

I realise I was a practicing lawyer at the time but hey I wouldn't let that dictate my actions

Our bin men actually hit my wall and damaged a light, do you think I rushed out and said "hey you hit my brick wall here is my buildings insurance I am so sorry you can't drive properly please do feel free to claim on it as I love it when my premiums increase" or do you think I got the drivers details and reported him to the council and received an apology and compensation?

I realise I was a practicing lawyer at the time but hey I wouldn't let that dictate my actions

I'm surprised you didn't submit a claim for the emotional distress caused, loss of earnings while resolving the issue, potential reduction in the value of your property, the fear of dustcarts you developed as a result etc, etc. What kind of lawyer were you?

Someone I know (good few years back) had a car written off when the kids next door managed to start their parents' car and knocked over the (tall) dividing wall!

Well my next door neighbour who was in his 80's put his C 200 on his front grass and then selected drive and his foot slipped off the brake onto the loud pedal and he ended up in the front of my lounge extension,bow window collapsed radiator off the wall oak floor ruined and dirty great cracks all over the place,he called his insurance LG and got a claim number he gave that to me and I got onto my house insurance and gave him my details,all was eventually sorted ,at the time I said you stupid old git,SWMBO said are you all right Ron you have had a shock:wallbash:

The point i am trying to make in this case is that we/you pay a decent premium to insurance companies, whether house or car, and its their job to sort out claims and do all the running about contacting other companies etc. I suppose it goes back to the old saying, why have a dog and bark your self !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom