insurance question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
German oil burner
My brother needs a car for the weekend and i've told him he can use mine, but the problem is when i add him as a temporary driver to my policy even if its for a week, our insurer charges what I believe to be an unreasonable amount of money + the usual BS admin fee.

Is it legal for me to get him temporary insurance using another company on my car? effectively having 2 insurance companies insuring the same car but for 2 different drivers? its only for a day.

Not an answer to the question you're asking sorry but......

some week-end car rentals are very cheap these days (£25/day) and may be similar cost to the extra premium.

edit: http://compare.carrentals.co.uk/

may be cheaper to add him permanently?

how much do you think is unreasonable ?

Is it legal for me to get him temporary insurance using another company on my car? effectively having 2 insurance companies insuring the same car but for 2 different drivers? its only for a day.

Most policies say that they will not pay out if another policy already covers the car.

But if the other driver would not be covered under your policy then I fail to see any problem.

You could of course just ring your insurance company to check. They may realise they are about to loose out on some money here and play the game instead.

You would need to check with an insurance company but I was always under the impression that it was illegal to insure a car with two companies, Although the principle of having two insurance policies covering the same item is common, my house insurance covers my watch, but i also have a separate insurance policy for the watch!!!

I also believe an insurance company will say you can't claime twice for the same lose, but if two insurance companies take my primium why shouldn't I claim off them both? By the way if my insurance company are reading this I have not lost, misplaced or had my watch stolen so do not intend making a claim off ether of them (this week)

One thing is for sure the insurance companies will have all angles covered in their favor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom