Insurance question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB Club Veteran
Car
Not always
Some of you may remember that I bought a little white Polo as a stopgap while I was rebuilding the back axle of my 190e ; it was a nice little car with only 19K on the clock and had belonged to an elderly gentleman from new with history proving use of approx 1000 miles each year .

It was a great little car and it did me well for the few months of the summer I needed it , once I got my 190e back on the road , I gave the Polo to my unemployed nephew who has no money and had recently passed his test .

Long story short , the daft lad antagonised someone else on Facebook , who then put in all the windows on the Polo , police attended and have lifted and charged this boy who did the damage .

My nephew is gutted about the car , which is now up the drive under a tarpaulin , was talking about claiming on insurance but I pointed out might be written off as a 1997 Polo , even with , now , 25K on the clock and near mint condition , won't be worth much on the books . Also with this being his first car , he has a £650 insurance excess which he can't possibly afford to pay ; I already gave him the car for nothing , so I'm not giving him any more .

My only thought was , that notwithstanding this being an act of vandalism , criminal damage , and that all the windows were smashed , there was no other damage , so it would be a claim for glass damage only , so would the windscreen excess of £100 or whatever perhaps be all he would need to cough for ?

If it was only that then he might get it fixed .

I hate the thought of it being scrapped , and will advertise it on the VWOC as Im sure someone would want it otherwise , since its such a genuine , low mileage and unmolested car , apart from the broken windows .

Should be a glass only claim

Doubt it as an act of vandalism, sue the oik and make him pay it even it it takes the rest of his life!

Winscreen/glass damage clauses usually only cover accidental damage/stone chip and general clauses exclude deliberate vandalism but worth reading the policy.

I have a friend who works for AA Autoglass, could ask him for an estimate next time I see him, funnily enough he drives a Polo himself!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Yes , two conflicting replies - I wasn't sure myself as , arguably , either might be correct ...

Doubt it as an act of vandalism, sue the oik and make him pay it even it it takes the rest of his life!

Winscreen/glass damage clauses usually only cover accidental damage/stone chip and general clauses exclude deliberate vandalism but worth reading the policy.

I have a friend who works for AA Autoglass, could ask him for an estimate next time I see him, funnily enough he drives a Polo himself!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Said Oik lives in the same street and similarly hasn't got two pennies to rub together , exists on benefits , and paying damages off at 50p/week is hardly going to help my nephew get his car fixed .

I'm now sorry that I gave him the car , thought I was doing him a favour , but now I feel sorry for the car , not for my nephew .

@Pontoneer

A member who has since been banned, had the same happen to his Merc. All windows smashed and it was a glass only claim IIRC. Worth a go. :)

1IMG_0977.jpg 2IMG_0978.jpg 3IMG_0979.jpg 4IMG_0981.jpg 5IMG_0982.jpg 6IMG_0983.jpg 7IMG_0984.jpg 8IMG_0985.jpg 9IMG_0986.jpg

Pictures sent me the other night

Reactions: 219
There's a police van in the pic - give them their due , they came right round and lifted the boy within half an hour , then he had a weekend in the cells before being up before the beak - haven't heard the outcome , but I think he was 'known to the police' .

Doing something like that was my first suggestion too , and the night it happened I looked on eBay and found a breaker with one of these cars in Dumfries without any hassle .

However , despite my brother in law supposedly being a mechanic ( or at least was in the Army some years ago , they don't want to do any DIY and want to have it either repaired or scrapped .

The only stumbling block for me would be if the windscreen is bonded then not a DIY job , but Id change all the other glass myself without difficulty . However the fact that my idiot nephew brought this on himself by arguing online about politics with some bampot , and that he , despite being family , is a lazy **** who hasn't even as much as said thank you to me for the car I gave him for nothing , and I really don't want too much more to do with it .

That I've fallen out with and disowned my sister over something completely unconnected with this ( but had been brewing for a while , basically her interfering in my personal life which is no business whatsoever of hers ) and I really don't need to have anything to do with the bunch of them .

You can choose your friends ....

Doing something like that was my first suggestion too , and the night it happened I looked on eBay and found a breaker with one of these cars in Dumfries without any hassle .

However , despite my brother in law supposedly being a mechanic ( or at least was in the Army some years ago , they don't want to do any DIY and want to have it either repaired or scrapped .

The only stumbling block for me would be if the windscreen is bonded then not a DIY job , but Id change all the other glass myself without difficulty . However the fact that my idiot nephew brought this on himself by arguing online about politics with some bampot , and that he , despite being family , is a lazy **** who hasn't even as much as said thank you to me for the car I gave him for nothing , and I really don't want too much more to do with it .

That I've fallen out with and disowned my sister over something completely unconnected with this ( but had been brewing for a while , basically her interfering in my personal life which is no business whatsoever of hers ) and I really don't need to have anything to do with the bunch of them .

You can choose your friends ....
Get it back to your place, get it under cover, and fix it when the right parts become available. Side glass and tailgate might be fairly inexpensive secondhand. Get a new screen, so it includes fitting, and you could sell it on at a profit easily. Just do it when the right parts come up at the right price.

Claiming for a single window would only incur the windscreen excess.
Claiming for 6 windows at the same time may raise questions from the insurer, and the claim would possibly be registered under the Vandalism (rather than Windscreen) section of the policy. In which case the relevant section of your nephew's policy would be applied by the insurer.

Get it back to your place, get it under cover, and fix it when the right parts become available. Side glass and tailgate might be fairly inexpensive secondhand. Get a new screen, so it includes fitting, and you could sell it on at a profit easily. Just do it when the right parts come up at the right price.
I have nowhere here to keep it under cover , and no space for more cars , already have three , and the extra one for the duration of the 190 repairs was a constant nagging point from her ladyship , so sadly not an option .

Not my car anymore , so I don't want to have anything more to do with it .

Reactions: 219
Sorry got to ask (I’m nosey like that), what did he say on Facebook that made someone smash his windows?

Could your nephew try flogging the reg number to pay for the windows?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom