Insurance questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C180CGI

Car
C180 1.8 CGI 2012 ELEGANCE
Hi I have a quick question. On average how many times will a insurance company let you add new car to the policy. Like for example if the car is no good and keeps breaking down and I need to change car. I may be changing my car maybe 3-4 times a year so just wanted to know. I dont mind any charges but will they cancel my policy?

that's definitely not a problem. you would be classed as one of their best (most profitable) customers. they can sting you with admin charges each time and normally you forfeit a minimum of one month insurance. For example, if you pay £120 for one year and after 6 months and 2 days you cancel then you will get 5 months back, returning you £50 before admin charges. But that's the best case scenario. Some agreements may leave you forfeiting 3 months or more.

But why would you do that unless you buy cars for £50 and run until the Mot runs out or it dies??

that's definitely not a problem. you would be classed as one of their best (most profitable) customers. they can sting you with admin charges each time and normally you forfeit a minimum of one month insurance. For example, if you pay £120 for one year and after 6 months and 2 days you cancel then you will get 5 months back, returning you £50 before admin charges. But that's the best case scenario. Some agreements may leave you forfeiting 3 months or more.

Why do you cancel and refund it? Surely just change the car on the policy?Pay admin plus any differences - same renewal date.

Everyone is different. Are you borrowing cars or buying cars? If your No1 pride and joy is unreliable why not simply have a single reliable back-up?

Simple, I am 17 and I buy and sell cars. Taking out my first policy is not easy with seeing quotes in the 1.5k+ range. What I would like to do is take out a policy with each car I have (normally 1 car takes at least 2 weeks to sell and I buy another 2-3 after one has sold). I heard there is a cooling off period which is 14 days. I have come to the conclusion of taking out a policy, while paying monthly. They will take a deposit of maybe £400 per car and if I cancel within 14 days I will receive my deposit back and will only have to pay £5 per day maybe for what I have driven and used. However I will not be able to collect no claims bonuses. I just wanted to know if what I am doing is right and dont really want to break the law or anything so just need some clarification before I even do this.

If you was over 25 I'd say traders, have you not got a mate or anything at the correct age that can sort traders for you in their name and take care of the cars?

I'd say short-term insurance would be better, then again as you're 'trading' I'm guessing you'd need business insurance built into it too (I'm not clued up on motoring business insurance, only contractors insurance)

If you was over 25 I'd say traders, have you not got a mate or anything at the correct age that can sort traders for you in their name and take care of the cars?

I'd say short-term insurance would be better, then again as you're 'trading' I'm guessing you'd need business insurance built into it too (I'm not clued up on motoring business insurance, only contractors insurance)

I have a trade policy and it is restricted to over 21's only. Even Mercedes Benz dealers' policies are over 21 - which I found out when my 20 year old daughter's brand new Smart was in for work and they couldn't give her a courtesy car - lots of arguments had there!

def90cars said:
I have a trade policy and it is restricted to over 21's only. Even Mercedes Benz dealers' policies are over 21 - which I found out when my 20 year old daughter's brand new Smart was in for work and they couldn't give her a courtesy car - lots of arguments had there!

Really I always thought it was 25, wish I knew that at 21!

Yeah companies are real tight with courtesy cars, I don't see the problem in under 21's having a courtesy

Simple, I am 17 and I buy and sell cars. Taking out my first policy is not easy with seeing quotes in the 1.5k+ range. What I would like to do is take out a policy with each car I have (normally 1 car takes at least 2 weeks to sell and I buy another 2-3 after one has sold). I heard there is a cooling off period which is 14 days. I have come to the conclusion of taking out a policy, while paying monthly. They will take a deposit of maybe £400 per car and if I cancel within 14 days I will receive my deposit back and will only have to pay £5 per day maybe for what I have driven and used. However I will not be able to collect no claims bonuses. I just wanted to know if what I am doing is right and dont really want to break the law or anything so just need some clarification before I even do this.

You must have started trading aged 13 then. Well done.

I don't see the problem in under 21's having a courtesy

Especially when the new car is in for warranty work and they tell you they give you a free courtesy car while its being fixed..... right up until they found out she was 20.

To be fair the dealer principal sorted it (Thanks Marc from MB-Derby) Especially as I've had 3 AMGs from them. :)

def90cars said:
Especially when the new car is in for warranty work and they tell you they give you a free courtesy car while its being fixed..... right up until they found out she was 20. To be fair the dealer principal sorted it (Thanks Marc from MB-Derby) Especially as I've had 3 AMGs from them. :)

Going o/t do you prefer your w205 or w204 c63?

Going o/t do you prefer your w205 or w204 c63?

I should say is an S205.

I have only done 600 miles in the new one and I have not driven the W204 for nearly 5 months, so no direct comparison.

My daughters tell me the S205 is a much "prettier" car.

I think you will never beat the noise from a 6.2litre n/a, but the popping exhaust (I opted for the Performance System too) on the S205 is something to nearly match it.

I'll let you know after I have driven both near each other.

The W204 is never being sold. The S205 - tbd.

May I ask, which company is the trader insurance with which provides 21 year olds?

Im really baffled right now on what to do. Called Tesco insurance up (they always give me the cheapest quote) and they said when I cancel policy they will charge £20 admin charge BUT will charge £50 box cancellation even if they dont get round to putting the box in (they take up to 3 weeks to install and my plan is to cancel by 12 days latest) which makes 0 sense to me.

will charge £50 box cancellation even if they dont get round to putting the box in (they take up to 3 weeks to install and my plan is to cancel by 12 days latest) which makes 0 sense to me.

Your policy is with a telematics box? You can't be swapping and changing that between cars, they have to pay someone to come and fit it. They're not going to repeat that process often.

Also the boxes are usually non removable without breaking them. They deliberately snap off the backing plate (which has electrical contacts so that it knows it's been removed).

Surely you need a non-telematics box policy if you intend on swapping cars regularly?

The box is apparently just a small plastic chip which is inexpensive. They said they will not be coming to remove it or anything, you can sell the car with it and they will not charge me. In regards to your question of them fitting it, they will fit the box within 3 weeks of the policy starting and I will have the option to chose what date to fit it in. I will put the furthest date possible and will cancel the policy before they get a chance to come down and fit it in. They also mentioned that the policy will start the same day even if they dont fit the box which is great.

All this seems like a huge headache IMO, would be so much easier setting up a business properly and employing/getting someone old enough to carry out the traders policy. Don't know about you, but these cancellation fees are just a waste of money when you're trying to make money? Kapeesh?

Ashley

Im not allowed traders insurance until 25 :( sadly its the minimum age from all providers although I heard someone got theirs at 21 but even then its 4 years for me.

How can customers test drive cars if you have no proper traders insurance??

Is this a wind up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom