Insurance renewal time ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Timster

Car
Currently Merc' Less.
Hi There.

It's that time of year again - can anyone recommend a broker who can get me a good deal on a E reg W124 250 TD please?

Cheers in advance.

Tim

Hello

Its not as easy as that, depends on age, location, car, convictions, your job etc..

I've just renewed my wifes A210 AMG and it was £410 with the Halifax and using gocompare.com website go it for £320 with protected no claims.

Its worth trying these sorts of sites

Confused.com
Gocompare.com
Moneysupermarket

Good luck

I've started to be a little cautious with getting insurance quotes.

It was very shortly after running around all the comparison sights (and providing lots of personal info) that both my and I both became victims of identity fraud.

We are both extra extra careful bout this kind of thing and there was nothing else we had done for moths and months that could have triggered this sort of thing.

By all means shop around but some of the lesser known comparison sights blast your personal details to anyone who happens to be willing to receive them.

Have you thought about getting a classic car policy? The main disadvantage is that you can't accrue a no claims bonus, but I've always found they are pretty cheap to start with -- basically because insurers must think people with an older car will be more careful with it. Because I live in central London and have always had old cars I've always insured on classic policies -- most classic car insurers accept cars as "young" as 15 years. My old 1977 Daimler was 192 quid fully comp, 8,000 miles a year mileage restriction and RAC recovery thrown in. When I got my 1995 W124 they charged me 372 quid -- not so great, but also not so bad considering the cheapest "modern insurance was about 700 pounds. As for AA insurance they "offered" me cover for 1,300 quid and one insurer was nearly 2,000 pounds!

How old are you Bluevenetian if you dont mind me asking?

Some of those quotes are crazy money. :eek:

For some reason, W124's do seem to be an expensive car to insure. My thoughts regarding the the high premiums was a possible loading thanks to the gangs stealing them to order for west Africa.

Dont most classic policies demand that the car is a second vehicle and that they are kept off the road?

Direct Line for me. :)

For my latest acquisition my broker quoted £555.00 I got it for £292.00 from the online version of the same firm he was quoting!! Brokers!!

It must be a young age thing.;) My first year in this car was £1600..

I would also be aware that when you need the insurance we sometimes find out that the cheapest company all of a sudden is badly letting you down. :eek:

Directline might not be the cheapest but I personally have no hesitation in recommending them.

Good luck with the decision

Regards
John

You asked for a broker - try Adrian Flux - they can usually get some good deals amd will look at what it is that you need.

I went with the people with the big red phone this year for my W124 300e.

I got fully comp for 235 and could have got it cheaper elsewhere but opted for the quality of cover and service plus the benefits offered on second car.

If you go throught the big 4 comparison sites you will get 98% of all insurers, but Direct line aren't on these.

I've alwasy found certain insurance companies do better deals for certain circumstances...
e.g. Diamond for the ladies, sage and esure for the 'more experienced'.
I've found Tesco are cheap for youngsters with little or zero no claims bonus years. Direct Line, Churchill and Norwich Union are good for policyholders with a very good No Claims history.

I've mentioned the big name brands, as I've had experience with a few lesser known companies and getting a claim settled was a horrible experience.

The above companies will usually sort everything out over the phone, no paperwork, which for me, is worth paying for. If I did have to make a claim, I'd want it sorted promptly and without hassle, to get me back on the road asap.

I didn't bother shopping around this year and renewed more than 2 months in advance - on both our cars.

I always pay for insurance up-front because I don't like paying interest, but Directline are doining interest free at the moment, and their quotes were even cheaper than last year.

Shop around and find an insurer who favours your kind of personal circumstances.

Not sure who I would recommend, but I would say avoid Hastings Direct or Norwich Union. Went with both because they were cheap, had bad experiences with both, particularly Hastings Direct.

Might be worth trying a classic insurer like Footman James bearing in mind the age of the car think you need to be 25yrs old though

Not sure who I would recommend, but I would say avoid Hastings Direct or Norwich Union. Went with both because they were cheap, had bad experiences with both, particularly Hastings Direct.

I've used NU quite a bit over the years, and do so currently, I have to say they've been fine when I needed them to be.

Cancelled with Direct Line

I recently took out a policy with DL mainly to benefit from their multi car policy, my MB and Mrs O's newly aquired MX-3 import.

Not the cheapest policies around but not a bad combination for both. When I called them to inform them that the Mazda was in fact a 1.5 not a 1.6, as given on the online form, they quickly changed it to an import status and upped the price by 150quid. Fair enough, I go along with that as I want to be totally legal.

However when I asked if I should forward both letters from both policies asking for proof of NCD I was told I couldn't have NCD for both cars. Only if I was the sole driver of both vehicles and removed Mrs O from the policies. :eek: Furthermore, I would have to provide a certificate of the immob\alarm system currently fitted otherwise it wouldn't be covered for theft. They couldn't advise me on how, or where, to obtain such a document. :(

Today I called NU. The call took 35 minutes, mainly due to the car being registered as a Mazda MX-3, badged as a Eunos Presso, and listed on the NU online form as a AZ-3. But we got it all sorted, thanks Nicky, :) and at a reasonable cost, and will probably switch the MB to NU next year.

I later called DL to cancel the policy on my, now 1.8L, Mazda, only to be told that the info I was given yesterday was incorrect and would I like them to requote. Er... no thanks. :crazy::crazy: A full refund was offered (still within the 14 days cooling off period) for which I thank them.

So we're now with DL and NU and I hope we don't have cause to use either. Next years quote time should be interesting. Maybe I'll take a week off and stock up on the aspirin.

Won't argue with that!:D
For some reason, W124's do seem to be an expensive car to insure. My thoughts regarding the the high premiums was a possible loading thanks to the gangs stealing them to order for west Africa.

Dont most classic policies demand that the car is a second vehicle and that they are kept off the road?
When I ran 2 cars...ah those blissful pre-credit crunch days;) ...the insurance was certainly a bit cheaper, but not massively....and yes I have off-road parking

I went with Privilege this year. Quote obtained through confused.com
Fully comp, protected on Audi A6 1.9tdi - £187.
Took out policy through Rpoints as recommended by the guys here, & got a £30 rebate!!!
Just had to update the policy for the ML, with 7 months to run on the policy they charged an extra £18.90 which i thought very reasonable.

to add my two pence worth, mine was with mercedes insurance, just had renewal quote-£870.....for a c200cdi!!!!! at 38 years old, go-compare.com, went down to £290, same cover, worth shopping around!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom