Insurance Repair Advice / Horror Stories

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T5R+

SUPPORTER
Any advice appreciated………

Wife’s car scraped down nearside whilst parked at supermarket – rear door. front door (needs replacement) and front wing.

Other driver merrily parked and went off. Fortunately, 2 people passing by noticed and alerted security, who kept an eye out for my wife to return. Security were fantastic and had a camera homed on both vehicles…….whilst wife in the lodge, offender got into their vehicle and set off until Security stopped her. Details exchanged at scene and luckily photos taken.

Local bodyshop estimated………….£1500, which probably means £3K at MB. Needed an estimate in case the offender was okay to self fund.

Car is a 4 year old C Class with full FMBSH in great nick (well it was!)

Wife and other party agreed that their respective insurance companies needed to be informed. Within 2 hours she got a call from the other party’s insurer but they do not have MB on their approved list of repairers and use Thrifty (car rental). So what to do?

Ultimately, any pitfalls to avoid, any items to insist upon, which mistakes to avoid.

You're covered for uninsured losses, although that may take further action to recover.
I had an issue with one of these intermediary companies dealing for the other parties insurance. I provided a quote, they wanted to collect the car and take it over 80 miles away to repair. I wasn't interested with their proposal.
After 12 months and I re providing the lost quote that they lost again I rang my local MB and asked them to come and collect for repair.
MB exchanged for a suitable alternative on my drive and returned mine repaired a few days later. Less hassle and that cost the other idiot company much more as 12 months previously I had no need of a courtesy car.

Just ring MB it's easier for you.

Pretty certain you can choose who does the repairs, you don't have to go with the insurer's approved shop. You may forfeit their (the insurer's) guarantees or warranty on the repairs though

Pretty certain you can choose who does the repairs, you don't have to go with the insurer's approved shop.

^ I can confirm this is correct. It is good the third party's insurer has contacted you. Let them arrange everything but dig your heels in over your choice of repairer.

I had a similar scenario 5 years ago and there was no loss of NCB or premium increase as it was a non fault accident. I am aware this isn't always the case and some companies do regard you a higher risk although I don't know why if you are not to blame.

Reactions: Ted
Pretty certain you can choose who does the repairs, you don't have to go with the insurer's approved shop. You may forfeit their (the insurer's) guarantees or warranty on the repairs though

Yup. Assuming you are claiming off the other party's insurer (i.e. not your own). I did this. The other party's insurer was Direct Line. I told them I'll have the car repaired at the dealer and nowhere else. They had to agree, and even paid the garage directly (plus funded a similar replacement vehicle while the car was in the body shop).

Just insist that you want it repaired at an MB dealer. As you are 3rd party (and not the policy holder), they have to accept anything that's not unreasonable, no ifs or buts.

And yes, if you choose your own repairer, then the insurer will wash their hands off once they paid for the repair. You can of course check carefully with the dealer what warranty they provide for their work, and rely on that instead.

As has been said you can choose who ever you want to repair the car, I had a similar incident on a Golf some years ago, and I insisted the repair was done by Volkswagen as the car was only 2 weeks old.
Wish I hadn't bothered in the end as the paint match was shocking, but thats another story.

...some companies do regard you a higher risk although I don't know why if you are not to blame.

This has been covered here before. Me too I wondered about this... but I know the answer now.

You could be involved in a no-fault accident which a careful driver would have been able to avoid.

Did you check the rear view mirror before braking hard at the traffic light? Did you check the junction was free before sailing-in blindly just because you had 'right of way'? Did you slow down before passing the stopped bus in case a child runs out to the road? Do you slow down to make a gap in front of you for a driver overtaking dangerously, or do you force the reckless driver to push you into the verge while he's trying to avoid a head-on collision? Do you give cyclists a wide berth? Do you choose your parking place carefully so that the car is not damaged by other careless motorists? I could go on...

'At fault' simply implies legal culpability. But a good driver will drive defensively and avoid both at-fault and no-fault accidents.

Ergo, if you are involved in a no-fault accident, from the insurer's point of view you are statistically a higher risk.

And before you give examples of completely unavoidable accidents... yes, this can happen, but statistically the careful driver will be less prone to both at-fault and no-fault accidents. And what insurers, like bookies, do for a living, is calculate odds and assess risk. It's all about probabilities.

Thanks All. Will follow the advice.

Suspect that thread will now die as in an obscure part of the forum.

Premium increase - "just know" that this will happen ACROSS ALL 4 VEHICLES (unless do not add the wife to "my" policies), that we own, irrespective that 25years without a claim AND vehicle perfectly parked in a spacious car park bay on a bright sunny day..................off to do my breathing exercises before I go off on a rant.

Appreciated.

Just to say that not all insurers increase the premium for reporting a no-fault accident.

But you need to make sure that you only INFORM your own insurer, while making the actual claim and dealing directly with the other party's insurer (and not claiming off you own policy).

Premium increase - "just know" that this will happen ACROSS ALL 4 VEHICLES (unless do not add the wife to "my" policies), that we own, irrespective that 25years without a claim AND vehicle perfectly parked in a spacious car park bay on a bright sunny day..................off to do my breathing exercises before I go off on a rant.

Seems to be very random. You do hear some horror stories but daughter just renewed her insurance and advised of her husbands at-fault accident. They (Aviva) added a fiver. Taking him off the policy would have increased the premium £30.

This has been covered here before. Me too I wondered about this... but I know the answer now.

You could be involved in a no-fault accident which a careful driver would have been able to avoid.

Did you check the rear view mirror before braking hard at the traffic light? Did you check the junction was free before sailing-in blindly just because you had 'right of way'? Did you slow down before passing the stopped bus in case a child runs out to the road? Do you slow down to make a gap in front of you for a driver overtaking dangerously, or do you force the reckless driver to push you into the verge while he's trying to avoid a head-on collision? Do you give cyclists a wide berth? Do you choose your parking place carefully so that the car is not damaged by other careless motorists? I could go on...

'At fault' simply implies legal culpability. But a good driver will drive defensively and avoid both at-fault and no-fault accidents.

Ergo, if you are involved in a no-fault accident, from the insurer's point of view you are statistically a higher risk.

And before you give examples of completely unavoidable accidents... yes, this can happen, but statistically the careful driver will be less prone to both at-fault and no-fault accidents. And what insurers, like bookies, do for a living, is calculate odds and assess risk. It's all about probabilities.

Thanks for this, have always wondered myself. That makes a lot of sense :)

So .........my guesstimate at £3K was correct ( MB actually quoted £2980 excl hire/loan car).

Vehicle went in to their body for 2 weeks (f/ns/ door to be replaced + minor repair on front wing with half panel sprayed + rear door minor repair and door sprayed in ie did not touch rear quarter nor the sill .........£3K :eek:).

Turned up to collect but had to reject the finish. Bodyshop manger called over and I had to show him the poor quality and finish. To be fair he accepted my comments and agreed.

So we return next week.

Will the other-party's insurer be paying the dealer directly?

Or are you paying the dealer on the premise that you will be reimbursed by the other-party's insurer?

Will the other-party's insurer be paying the dealer directly?

Or are you paying the dealer on the premise that you will be reimbursed by the other-party's insurer?

Elected to go with MB for the repair.

MB appoint Bristol & London who "manage" the claim. B&L have been pretty good. (Essentially, we informed our insurer of the incident and made it clear in writing that we are not making a claim on our policy). Appointed B&L to support us in the claim with the 3rd party's insurer. Given the horror stories, ensured everyone was clear that I would not be parting with any cash inc when B&L suggested that we put their loan car onto temporary insurance cover through our own brokers.

The wife has been essentially leading the charge, as it her car that is in the shop for repairs, with my 2pence worth as we go eg check and clarify and then get it in writing on email. She has been great but wanted me to check the repair before we accepted the car back............ as it was a 3rd party claim the "guilty party's insurer's" will wash their hands of it once we accept the car back, as we went to "our preferred repairer" rather than "their preferred repairer".

Fundamentally, MB/B&L are claiming and will be reimbursed by the 3rd party's insurer.

Recently got our car back after a £4700 repair by an MB approved body shop. They (Hilton Coachworks near Stansted Airport) did a fantastic job that I couldn’t fault in any way. Just as importantly, I received a certificate from MB to say that because the work was done by their approved shop, the corrosion and paintwork warranty remains in place. Presumably it would be lost if the work wasn’t done by an approved place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom