Insurance surprise - I must be getting old

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanT

Car
W210 320CDI
This week I enquired with Admiral as to the cost to change from my previous Group 5 car to my new Group 16 conveyance, expecting the cost to prompt me to look elsewhere.

Long story short, but a few years ago I rebuilt a Mk2 Astra GTE and to make it more interesting, fitted a V6 engine, and a number of other mechanical modifications (body, interior etc stayed standard). At that time, insurance was pretty difficult to get for a car so far from it's standard spec without paying through the nose so I transferred my 13 years no claims to Adrian Flux to get a nice £350 premium on the Astra, and then ran a lower risk car as my daily driver, initially with no NCB.

That second policy now has 3 years NCB and I was expecting to feel the impact of a change to a much higher grouping.

So what's the point of all this? Well the cost to change up 11 insurance groups for the remainder of my term (6 months) is... wait for it... £50.44

Given all I hear is that premiums are rising, that really surprised me. Maybe I'm finally getting old in the eyes of the underwriters??

Ian.

You're not alone Ian, I got my renewal through for the Speed Triple last week. Despite having "lost" my NCB (it'll be reinstated once the non-fault claim is completed) it was still £200 cheaper than last year.

I guess that all this meerkat jazz and Confused.com advertising may be putting the insurers under some pressure.
I argued it out with my insurer at the last renewal time and got a better deal than they were first offering.

Cheers.
Johnsco

Admiral's multicar policy is great! When I changed to Admiral from separate insurers for our cars, the total premium for all was the same as the previous policy for one!!! How about that for a result! :D

My renewal came this morning, £407.40 with Privilege. So, went on line to Privilege, entered all my details and quote given was £326.55 :dk: then entered details for the soon to be here W212 (just another four weeks!) and premium goes to £343.35 RESULT !

The only good thing about getting old is cheaper car insurance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom