insurance variations day to day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wemorgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
A205 C220d
SLK insurance is due. 2 weeks ago the best quote was from Admiral for £280, today the quote from Admiral is £377, with the cheapest being £350.

The renewal isn't for another 2 weeks, so I'm destined to play daily roulette re-quoting, hoping for a quote nearer the original £280.

I've not noticed this before, or maybe the variations have been too small to notice. Curious to know why their algorithms do this. Middle aged married man no claims/convictions etc etc I'd hoped for low quotes from quite a few companies. Seems not.

Don't profess to know why the price varies day to day, but most online quotation systems allow you to save the quotation which is then valid for 30 days. If you've done that and the price tomorrow (or next week) is higher you can always revert to the earlier, cheaper, quote; likewise if the later quote is cheaper you can save that too.

I made mistake with the first quote and gave the wrong start date. 2 weeks later and starting 1 week later than previously and Admiral charge £100 more. Maybe they've hit their month sales target and don't need any more policies on their book.

Insuring my daughter for her 17th birthday, I found if I waited until one day after her 17th birthday it was £200 cheaper. Their explanation was it is because she isn't 17 now... "she is more than 17".

def90cars said:
Insuring my daughter for her 17th birthday, I found if I waited until one day after her 17th birthday it was £200 cheaper. Their explanation was it is because she isn't 17 now... "she is more than 17".

Sometimes you just despair at companies. Would you risk relying on a company like this?

I found with Admiral, if you try an online quote, make sure you leave a contact number then don't take the insurance they phone you and can offer a lower price, my multi car quote went from £950 to £500 !!

Don't profess to know why the price varies day to day, but most online quotation systems allow you to save the quotation which is then valid for 30 days. If you've done that and the price tomorrow (or next week) is higher you can always revert to the earlier, cheaper, quote; likewise if the later quote is cheaper you can save that too.

My wife did an online insurance quote form Go Compare 4 weeks before her insurance was due for her BMW X1, the cheapest came back as Tesco, with a quote of £135, with only 2 weeks left she went into her emails to select the 'Buy Now', when she was forwarded to the Tesco site, the new price was £170.:mad:

She complained to Tesco and stated the 'valid for 30 days', their excuse was that the quote was only valid on the day it was issued.:dk:

After several emails and complaints to their customer service department, she was covered for the £135 premium.:thumb:

I'm afraid the call centre staff don't have the first idea, their training is rudimentary at best.

Many years ago I was interviewed on a R4 money programme about insurance. They had been told by some pillock (not one that worked for me!) that they didn't insure pilots for home insurance because 'they could drop something on their house!

I don't know the minutiae of direct insurers rating algorithms but I do know that one factor is their ongoing conversion ratio of prospect to customer. If they sell a lot their prices increase and as sales slow they reduce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom