Insurance view on changing tyre sizes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ReggieGasket

Car
W204 C320 CDI Sport
The standard tyres on my C320 CDI Sport are 225/17 front and 255/17 rear. I've changed to 18" wheels and informed my insurance company. But what is theri attitude to changing tyre sizes? Do I have to stick to 225 and 255? I'm mainly concerned with what would happen if I went narrower on the back (from an insurance point of view).

Look in your handbook for the manufacturers recommended range of tyre sizes for each wheel combination and as long as you are using one of those I cannot see a problem or just ask your insurance company to confirm, in writing, that what you are proposing is in accordance with their policy requirements.

I absolutely agree. Providing you stick within MB combination guidelines then the insurance company can't argue it's a modification.

Yep, what has been said above is correct. You have to maintain the car in a safe and roadworthy condition. Providing you fit tyres in accordance with the manufacturers specifications then there wont be an issue.

Except at claim time they can be slippery.

I'd make the call, just to be sure.

Again i have to agree with the above... It should cost nothing to log any change in tyre/ wheel configuration providing it's within MB parameters but and there's always a but, the change should be cataloged because we all know any insurance claim is subject to a potential cop out given the opportunity.

Interesting.

Do insurance companies have access to data which isn't shown on the vehicles Date Card?

Wheel diameter and width doesn't show as far as I know.

P.S. ReggieGasket, you've omitted the width ratio (second figure) from your tyre size. Did you get an acknowledgement / reply from your ins co?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom