Insurance which is lenient on kids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
I've been meaning to start a thread on this subject for a while, but a typo in someone else's thread (whereby "lenient on mods" became "lenient on kids" :) ) finally prompted me to start a thread.

Junior D is 14 years old now and forever asking me how much her insurance will be when she learns to drive. It started years ago when she wanted us to keep our W163 ML so she could have it as her first car, but that's no longer with us, so then she said she wanted our W164 ML.

I've tried to help her understand that although I would for her to be able to have it the insurance will be too expensive if we could even find an insurer to cover her in it, and I think she gets that now, but I have to guess wildly when she says "How much would it be insure an Xyz".

I know there are many variables which will mean that you can't directly compare insurance premiums but I would be really interested to find out how much the first year insurance cost was for your children, and which car it was for, especially if it has been in the last couple of years.

PS Baby D told his sister that he wanted the W164 ML, to which Junior D made it very clear that he couldn't, as she had first dibs on it, and he couldn't have it because it's the only car she would want. Quick thinking, he asked if she was sure, before saying that he'd have the W166 ML then! The look on her face was priceless! :D

All with a clean licence and a PA1 postcode and me as a named driver as that seemed to reduce it slightly.

Three years ago - Daughter 18 - Clio Campus 1.2 - £1300 with a box fitted with Direct Line.

Two years ago , she gave her brother her Clio and got a 107 which was £500 to insure with one years NCD and no box still with Direct Line.

Two years ago - Son 18 - Clio Campus 1.2 - £1600 with a box fitted through Adrian Flux.

Last year he was £700 for the Clio taking £900 off with Churchill still with a box fitted , which is a good thing for us anyway as we can keep a tab on his driving score.

A lot of insurance companies refused to quote my son for the Clio and some were around the £5k mark, the excesses for the policies was ridiculous and some of the T+C`s some companies wanted to impose were just crazy - £500 xs before 23:00 , £1000 after , £1500 if after 23:00 and there were people in the car under 25.

However you look at it price wise it cost us around £5k each to get them on the road , by the time you factor in an average condition Car / Insurance / Tax / Lessons / Tests (both parts) and any other "things" required . Both my kids have friends who want to drive but they , or their parents , are not in the fortunate position at present to fund what is needed.

Kenny

Last edited:
17 year old girl, Southampton on TPFT cover

A £500 52 reg 1.0L Corsa was £950 or so on Admiral Multi car (no black box, so I fitted a dash cam)

It's a lot, but (well) under £100 a month which was my target price - and we started online well over that.

All we have to do is add our two cars on renewal in Feb (and they have bettered current prices, so it was an easy decision)
As the QQ has a remap they won't insure her on that nor on the CLK (thankfully :eek:)

When my son started four years ago, insurance on something like and old Corsa/Fiesta/Clio was at least £2400 in his name.

A six month old Polo 1.4 was £1600 (FC) in his name as part of a new multi-car policy we started. When he then moved to a new, new A-Class about five months later but still in his first year as a licence holder, his premiums dropped again....to about £1200, if memory serves. That's no 'black box' and included commuting.

The point is, to the insurance companies, some car and driver combinations seem to be flagged as high risk in themselves. The trick is to find the car that is not associated with young drivers and newer seems to be a better prospect than older......there was a post some months ago, I THINK from the guy who runs the annual meet down south whereby his newly licenced son had a large (E-Class?) for ridiculously small premiums.

Step Daughter,

2006 Renault Clio 1.4 Dynamique worth circa £3K (at the time).

Postcode RH1 (Surrey)

Tesco box insurance

year one £1200
Year two £600
Year three £800

No accidents, but appears insurance went up a load last year as we couldn't get a quote anywhere else any better.

Junior D quite likes the A-class so if that is seen to be a lower risk combination then that could be good news.

There really is no rhyme nor obvious reason to it. Our son passed on an old 94 Polo 1.05l and went straight on to a 1990 300e-24 aged 17 which Direct Line covered for around 1200 fully comp. They would not quote for a Polo 1.4 16v!

Hi Bobby, why not try out some scenarios using hypothetical details on Comparethemarket or Go Compare? You can type in all the details that you expect your kids to have when they are new drivers, add yourself as named driver, etc, etc. If you want to see how small changes to the variables affect the price, you can go back and amend the details as much as you like. I use this approach to fine-tune my own insurance quotes. E.g. this year it was cheaper for me to have a 1000-mile business allowance on my policy that it was to have the car insured for SDP and Commuting only. No idea why, but I'll take that!

You could try out various combinations of drivers and cars until you see something that might work for you and your daughter.

If you will have several cars, an Admiral multi-car policy might end up cheapest for you, so you could also use their website to run some scenarios.

Hi Bobby, why not try out some scenarios using hypothetical details on Comparethemarket or Go Compare? You can type in all the details that you expect your kids to have when they are new drivers, add yourself as named driver, etc, etc. If you want to see how small changes to the variables affect the price, you can go back and amend the details as much as you like. I use this approach to fine-tune my own insurance quotes. E.g. this year it was cheaper for me to have a 1000-mile business allowance on my policy that it was to have the car insured for SDP and Commuting only. No idea why, but I'll take that!

You could try out various combinations of drivers and cars until you see something that might work for you and your daughter.

If you will have several cars, an Admiral multi-car policy might end up cheapest for you, so you could also use their website to run some scenarios.

Good idea, thank you!

Just re-read this thread as Junior D will be 17 in little more than 18 months. By good fortune rather than good luck, I renewed our two main cars with Admiral last week, so this may work out well if we renew with Admiral next year.

Since I posted this thread, have any other parents got any recent information on young driver premiums?

Come across any surprisingly inexpensive vehicles for young drivers to insure?

Son, 17, £1800/year TPFT on 1.0 Corsa
Added both his mum and dad as additional drivers, quote down to £1500.
Always check this option out.

daughter number two 18 just passed test insured on my 1.2 Corsa(don't laugh I'm in this so she can use it) cost me about £1200 more on our multi car policy than it would just for me - high risk postcode BL1 (one of the worst) - sunny Bolton

Son 17yo, 2011 Corsa Limited Edition 1.2, Marmalade £1800 with black box, Mrs Tango as a named driver.

Something to watch out for that wasn't made clear at time of purchase (although I'm sure it will be in the small print) was that after he had a few 'Red' journeys for slightly excessive acceleration and braking, he was required to pay an extra £125 and went on probation for a month. This was hard to swallow because his overall score was still 94% at the time, which was after 6 months of driving. If he would have had X amount of 'Red' journeys in his probation period, he would have needed to pay an extra £250 and a 2 month probation period, anymore 'Red' journeys after that and his insurance would have been cancelled. Luckily he changed his driving habits and is now coming up to his renewal date in a few weeks so this thread will come in handy for him.

A dreinds son and his mates (some studying Higher and applied maths) have worked out the algorithms used.

Do a few longer journeys (getting paid to take mates into town on an evening), don't drive to the shops, drive motorways occasionally, and a few other tricks really boost scores

The yoof of today eh?

I’m going back about 12 years now when my daughter , now 32 , started driving - she initially just drove the driving school car , then on passing her test her mum ( my ex ) had her put on her Ford Focus as a named driver on her policy with the Co-Op; the cost of this was NOTHING .

Neither my daughter , or her mum , drive much so they were quite happy just sharing a car and this went on for about 10 years , with no claims or convictions occurring.

I also added Gill to one of my 190Es a while back and it was only something like £25 extra , I can’t remember which insurer - I’ve been with various ones : Aviva , RAC , Direct Line , Adrian Flux , Carole Nash , usually shopping around when I change cars or if a renewal comes in a bit higher .

Gill drove my 190 once and announced that it was ‘too big’ then never drove it again , so I never bothered putting her on subsequent cars .

She moved out from her mum’s about this time last year and decided after a couple of months that she needed her own car - she wanted an automatic Mini , like what her mum now drives , but I persuaded to start with a cheaper car and found an automatic 1.4L Polo 9N for a grand , of which I paid half and she took out a policy with the Co-Op, with whom she had been a named driver on her mum’s car all these years , and is paying around £240 with an introductory 20% NCD . The car just passed its MOT a couple of weeks back with no advisories and she was beaming that the mechanic had said it was a wee gem of a car for its age - so she plans to keep it now .

Gill is in Falkirk.

From that experience, Co-Op insurance seem to be quite good with new drivers , and it certainly worked well that for so long she didn’t need her own car and just drove her mum’s , then had her claim free years taken into consideration when getting her own car and policy .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom