Insuring a car abroad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markjay

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
2022 Hyundai IONIQ 5 RWD / 2016 Suzuki Vitara AWD
We have a car in Italy which we have just taken ownership of.

We are having difficulties getting it insured in Italy because the local insurance companies do not recognise my wife's UK NCD, thus quoting for new driver's prices which are very high.

Any idea if there is a UK insurer who will insure an Italian-registered vehicle that is permanently located in Italy?

Try this company Italsure | Expatriate Insurance Solutions

Expect to pay around £1000 or more fully comp

Most Italian drivers only have 3rd party insurance due to the very high cost of fully comp.

Thanks, will give them a call.

Not worried about fully comp, the car has been in the family since it was bought new in the continent back in 1997, even had a 10 years spell in the UK with UK reg.... :D

So the value of the car is not an issue, it is just that Mrs. MJ is attached to it and wants to keep it as a holiday car.

You could try Direct Line in Italy. From what I have heard they are more reasonable with foreign NCD. When I looked at registering the 124 in Italy the best I could get was 900 Euros third party or 2800 comprehensive! Even then its not what we consider comprehensive. Only covers own damage if you hit another vehicle, not street furniture or if you just run off the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom