Insuring a lock-up garage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanT

Car
W210 320CDI
Right, I've found a local lock up garage for sale and am pretty much ready to buy it, but I don't know how to insure it.

All I want is buildings and presumably 3rd party insurance, as I'll probably only keep a car or other relatively worthless items in it.

Has anyone else done this and what were your conclusions? Of course the internet sites can't deal with properties that have 0 bathrooms and 0 kitchens, so presumably it's a case of going to a high street broker and seeing what they can offer?

Cheers,

Ian.

Thanks Jon, exactly the same results I turned up with when I searched. The question remains though, as there are lots of posts in various forums and few answers, mostly relating to contents insurance that I don't need. Thought I'd try here as it's far more likely to find people with nice weekend cars in purpose-bought lockup garages, presumably also needing insurance.

Ian.

are u buying freehold or lease, if lease is not included (insured) under freeholders insurance

Sorry, I know I wasn't particularly helpful, the trouble is with this kind of thing - where do you start?
(oh and by the way I wasn't intending to be flippant or as sardonic as that may have seemed)

Last edited:
LOL, that's OK. :)

Should have said it's a freehold garage that was separated from the deeds of another property in about 2001. As such it would neither be attached to the deeds of my house nor any other and my concern really with it being part of a (albeit a new) block of garages, if something were to happen, even if someone were to fall over outside it on snow I hadn't cleared, I'd like to either have cover or understand the limits of any loss I'd have to settle myself.

I have also put a post up on the MoneySavingExpert forum as there seem to be a few insurance company employees on there, but I'm guessing it's an unusual request.

Ian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom