Insuring New Vehicle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st13phil

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
Just thought I'd ask here in case someone has a definitive answer before I spend time on hold trying to speak with someone at DVLA :rolleyes:

OK, so I have a new motorcycle on order, and will be taking delivery on 5th or 6th April. No problemo.

Salesman phoned me on Friday to ask if I'd help them by having it registered to me on 31st March rather than 5th April, as they needed one more registration in the quarter to hit their Q1 target. I'm happy to do this as they've made it worth my while to do so, and the salesman has assured me that I don't need to insure it until I actually take delivery on 5th or 6th April. However, I'm wary of the Continuous Insurance Regulations and the DVLA's ability to find (expensive) fault in a perfectly reasonable act and, predictably, the DVLA website is silent on the matter so I'm looking for confirmation either way.

Can anyone help (perhaps @JBD who has probably met this scenario)?

Just thought I'd ask here in case someone has a definitive answer before I spend time on hold trying to speak with someone at DVLA :rolleyes:

OK, so I have a new motorcycle on order, and will be taking delivery on 5th or 6th April. No problemo.

Salesman phoned me on Friday to ask if I'd help them by having it registered to me on 31st March rather than 5th April, as they needed one more registration in the quarter to hit their Q1 target. I'm happy to do this as they've made it worth my while to do so, and the salesman has assured me that I don't need to insure it until I actually take delivery on 5th or 6th April. However, I'm wary of the Continuous Insurance Regulations and the DVLA's ability to find (expensive) fault in a perfectly reasonable act and, predictably, the DVLA website is silent on the matter so I'm looking for confirmation either way.

Can anyone help (perhaps @JBD who has probably met this scenario)?

As you haven’t physically signed to say you’ve taken delivery, the liability is still with the dealer, so no need to worry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@JBD - Brilliant! Thanks for that :thumb:

Supplemental question: Will VED have to run from 1st April or 1st March?

I suspect RFL will run from 1st March. (i.e. beginning of month it is registered in) - you can't register a new vehicle without taxing it.

Which Mercedes motorcycle have you bought? ;-)

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I suspect RFL will run from 1st March. (i.e. beginning of month it is registered in) - you can't register a new vehicle without taxing it.
That's my assumption. Not too tragic when VED is £88 for the year, but losing a month on something like an E63 would be more difficult to accept. I remember when you could tax a new vehicle for a year and a week to avoid this... :(

Which Mercedes motorcycle have you bought? ;-)
Ahh, confession time :oops:

It was built the week before last in Spandau, and looks a lot like this:

ntMQT4r.jpg

That's my assumption. Not too tragic when VED is £88 for the year, but losing a month on something like an E63 would be more difficult to accept. I remember when you could tax a new vehicle for a year and a week to avoid this... :(

Get them to tax it for the year as part of the request to register it early to meet their end of year figures.

Blyme, that thing got 50cc more than my C180........ and about 1000Kg less weight!

@JBD - Brilliant! Thanks for that :thumb:

Supplemental question: Will VED have to run from 1st April or 1st March?

They should be able to tax it for a year and a week so you don’t lose out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I meant the full year, not the month. On top of what ever else you have negotiated.
OK, I understand (now!) :oops:

They've already been pretty generous to encourage me to move the registration date forward by a few days and I'd rather not push my luck to the point where it sours the deal.

Nice bike, looks like you might have some nice weather to enjoy it !

Ahh, confession time :oops:

It was built the week before last in Spandau, and looks a lot like this:

ntMQT4r.jpg
I see you are in it for the long (and quick!) haul! Fabulous bike, I've been lucky to have spent a few hours on one and I can't think of a better bike to do serious miles on.
You'll have little problem keeping up with the traffic, that engine is immense.
Do you have to change your user name now, or at least at the end of the month?

Nice bike, looks like you might have some nice weather to enjoy it !
Thanks! One lives in hope...

I need to get it run in and the first service done, then it's off to Germany for a few days, then a month after that a trip to Spain :cool:

Reactions: CJD
I see you are in it for the long (and quick!) haul! Fabulous bike, I've been lucky to have spent a few hours on one and I can't think of a better bike to do serious miles on.
You'll have little problem keeping up with the traffic, that engine is immense.
Thanks.

Pretty much all the mileage we do on two wheels is European touring, and the Pan - whilst still pretty competent - was getting a bit long in the tooth. I've always wanted a 6-pot bike and with Euro 5 reg's coming up for bikes I'm not sure how much longer the K1600 is going to be available for, so now seemed as good a time as any to take the plunge. We took one out for an extended test ride last August and I was very impressed with it. And you're right: the engine absolutely defines the bike, but the chassis is pretty good too.

One thing I would say is that even with the trick Dynamic ESA I don't think the ride comfort is quite as plush and controlled as it was on my Pan which had a top-end Wilbers rear unit and forks reworked by MCT Suspension of Stowmarket. That said, it could hardly be called uncomfortable :)

My only reservation is that after almost 30 years of total Honda reliability, I'm a little nervous about owning a BMW. Angie reckons that the first time it lets us down she'll have to stop me setting fire to it ;)
Do you have to change your user name now, or at least at the end of the month?
Hehe :D

I think I'll stick to what I'm known as - for the time being at least :p

Oddly, my VFR1200 has the best ride quality of any of my current vehicles.
I'd class the BMW as a 'Hyper tourer'. I must say I found the the ride on the big Beemer very good, but it is different from any 'Sport' tourer in the way it handles.
With the VFR you can feel the front end (I come from a diet of sports bikes) With the BMW you just have faith in the front end.
My Norfolk riding buddy (Mr Brundle) has never found a bike he prefers more than the 1600GT for his national and pan European solo trips and I can certainly see why:D

Wow, now I have stop looking at it.
No, I can’t.
Fantastic piece of kit.

Attachments

• DECB159B-E508-4189-9891-07B3CA93FE7C.jpeg
    DECB159B-E508-4189-9891-07B3CA93FE7C.jpeg
    263.8 KB · Views: 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom