Intake Grill Mesh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

daveenty

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S63 Coupe
Some people are aware that the intake area around the front of the current Mercedes range leave several radiators/intercoolers etc. a bit vulnerable to road debris being thrown up into them.

When I had my W213 E63 I found a solution to this from a company called Zunsport, details on THIS THREAD.

I received the email below yesterday so thought I'd share it as it may help someone on here: -

I am not sure if you are still active on the Mercedes forums, if you are I would appreciate if you could make the members aware of the following

That we wish to produce .

Mercedes-AMG GT - 2015 - Present

Mercedes-AMG GT Roadster

Mercedes-AMG C63 Coupe

A reminder of the offer available and what is required .

We are based in West Midlands our address is as follows :

Zunsport Limited
Unit 13 Morgans Business Park.
Bettys Lane
Norton Canes.
Cannock
Staffordshire.
WS11 9UU .

If you are interested you would need to attend on two occasions :

( 1 ) to establish feasibility and produce working templates - Time 5/6 hours.

( 2 ) to establish Fit & Finish -Time 1/2 hours.

If you are interested the " Grille Set " would be on a " Free of Charge basis with £250.00 towards to Travel Costs.

Our working hours are 8.00am - 4.00pm Monday -Thursday and 8.00am -1.00pm Friday.

The offer above is obviously only for the first customer with one of the above cars, basically a guinea pig fee I suppose, though I think it's pretty generous and certainly more than I got when they used my E63.

I will emphasise now that I have no involvement with the above company, only as a satisfied customer. Peter Langston is the man to talk to there and I found him to be a very helpful person.

Will you need it for the S Coupe Dave ?

Will you need it for the S Coupe Dave ?

I don't think so Peter but I'll weigh it up when it arrives and make a decision before I do any distance stuff with it.

To be honest it won't be doing much for a while as I need to get my fitness levels up first, this is currently taking priority over everything.

Shame CarbonWurks weren't so keen to expand their stone guard range like these guys

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I am sat at Brooklands, waiting for them to check to see if my spoiler is affected by the safety recall. BUT they are also installing several updates one of which are new grills to improve protection of the intercooler.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I am sat at Brooklands, waiting for them to check to see if my spoiler is affected by the safety recall. BUT they are also installing several updates one of which are new grills to improve protection of the intercooler.
And the grills are not in stock so I will need to come back again..

they are also installing several updates one of which are new grills to improve protection of the intercooler.
I'd be interested to see if this grill protection is the same as what Dave had installed by Zunsport. They have done a great job and will protect perfectly. It's a shame it has took Mercedes this long to take responsibility for the poor design flaw.

W213 E63s Air intakes/Intercooler/Radiator protection

Could we see some pictures when you have them done please.

Could we get the bulletin/reference number or anything please?

Whats the spoiler safety recall all about then?

Last edited:
Could we get the bulletin/reference number or anything please?

Whats the spoiler safety recall all about then?
The spoiler recall is SRPC 1940 Something about some spoilers having the wrong threaded connections so they might come away at high speed. It talks about tailgate so I assume it's just the estate.
I don't have the reference for the other things including the grills but I will ask when they get them in for me. It may be worth a call as, when I booked it in, the central booking people added all the service updates. They also updated the Ecu and some other software. It does seem better in C now - from just a short drive back it's more eager to switch to 4 cylinders, it also seems like some of the low speed throttle hesitation has gone.

Did you also get a cover for behind the front grille?

Ok so finally got around to having them installed today. Reference looks like 4998 Retrofit protective grill for additional cooler.

@JBD
Any chance you could look up the details on this please, and tell us whether its chargeable or not?

Ok so finally got around to having them installed today. Reference looks like 4998 Retrofit protective grill for additional cooler.
View attachment 90388
That's how both sides of mine were from factory. Although not long after I collected mine, I did see an E63s Estate at the Dealership with this plastic mesh over only the RHS cooler and nothing on the LHS.

FcQaT7O.jpg

That's how both sides of mine were from factory. Although not long after I collected mine, I did see an E63s Estate at the Dealership with this plastic mesh over only the RHS cooler and nothing on the LHS.
Do you have anything protecting your radiator behind the front grille?

Do you have anything protecting your radiator behind the front grille?
I have no protection on the upper half, behind the front grille, same as everyone I guess. Just the deflectors on the underside of the grille.

OCfZQ3L.jpg

Zero protection for the lower oil cooler below the number plate, which as you know is the area most vulnerable.
1FCpjyH.jpg

I have no protection on the upper half, behind the front grille, same as everyone I guess. Just the deflectors on the underside of the grille.

Zero protection for the lower oil cooler below the number plate, which as you know is the area most vulnerable.
1FCpjyH.jpg

I am the same for the upper rad BUT they have added similar protection to the lower cooler:
Rad.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom