Intake port shut off motor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think i'm next-
would you reccomend me changing just:
the turbo gasket & the intake port shut off motor?

Any help is appreciated. :)

Yesterday my car lost power on the motorway and could not accelerate took ages to overtake lorries. No engine light. When I got home plugged it into the Icarsoft MB and checked fault code on engine. It game me "Intake port shutoff actuator motor is faulty". Tried to clear the code, but came on as soon as I drove off again. Spoke to the dealer and the parts are:

Diagnostics: £130 ( They have to run diagnostics as they will not guarantee the work without their own diagnostic ).
Motor: £206.40
Gaskets: £29.58
Labour: ( Still waiting to hear )

I also asked about the turbo seal and they are cheap:

Main Turbo intake seal: £5.40

Anyone knows a good mechanic in Cambridge area who can do this work at reasonable price.

Yesterday my car lost power on the motorway and could not accelerate took ages to overtake lorries. No engine light. When I got home plugged it into the Icarsoft MB and checked fault code on engine. It game me "Intake port shutoff actuator motor is faulty". Tried to clear the code, but came on as soon as I drove off again. Spoke to the dealer and the parts are:

Diagnostics: £130 ( They have to run diagnostics as they will not guarantee the work without their own diagnostic ).
Motor: £206.40
Gaskets: £29.58
Labour: ( Still waiting to hear )

I also asked about the turbo seal and they are cheap:

Main Turbo intake seal: £5.40

Anyone knows a good mechanic in Cambridge area who can do this work at reasonable price.
You could do the “om642 resistor fix” for £1 , put a 4.7k ohm resistor into the middle two terminals of the electrical plug to the shut off motor and fit a new orange seal to the turbo .
If not , I’m sure someone will recommend a garage soon

You could do the “om642 resistor fix” for £1 , put a 4.7k ohm resistor into the middle two terminals of the electrical plug to the shut off motor and fit a new orange seal to the turbo .
If not , I’m sure someone will recommend a garage soon
Hi W1ghty,

Thanks for the suggestion really appreciate it. If I do the OM642 resistor fix. Will this cause any issues with the car later on? What if the flaps are jammed and this caused the motor to go. By doing this will this still be ok and not cause any damage to to the car?

I spoke to a few garages about the motor and they advised that they need to check the cause of the issues as it could be the motor of maybe oil leak or the flaps could be jammed. Until they check they are unable to tell me what the cost would be, however worst case scenario if it's the flaps then this will cost around £1800.

Thanks

Hi W1ghty,

Thanks for the suggestion really appreciate it. If I do the OM642 resistor fix. Will this cause any issues with the car later on? What if the flaps are jammed and this caused the motor to go. By doing this will this still be ok and not cause any damage to to the car?

I spoke to a few garages about the motor and they advised that they need to check the cause of the issues as it could be the motor of maybe oil leak or the flaps could be jammed. Until they check they are unable to tell me what the cost would be, however worst case scenario if it's the flaps then this will cost around £1800.

Thanks
My car has had the resistor fix for a couple of years with no noticeable difference . You are right though , the resistor only works if the swirl flaps and arms are still connected and in the sprung open position .
It’s a cheap test to do though , which either works or not .
If it works , you can then decide whether to leave the resistor or pay hundreds for the new motor .

My car has had the resistor fix for a couple of years with no noticeable difference . You are right though , the resistor only works if the swirl flaps and arms are still connected and in the sprung open position .
It’s a cheap test to do though , which either works or not .
If it works , you can then decide whether to leave the resistor or pay hundreds for the new motor .
Hi W1ghty,

Thanks for this. I'm willing to try this before I decide to pay hundreds to get the motor fixed. Do you know where I can get these resistors and do you have any instructions on how to get it done. Sorry but my knowledge of doing this is very little. All your help is appreciated..

Thanks

Mosman

Hi W1ghty,

Thanks for this. I'm willing to try this before I decide to pay hundreds to get the motor fixed. Do you know where I can get these resistors and do you have any instructions on how to get it done. Sorry but my knowledge of doing this is very little. All your help is appreciated..

Thanks

Mosman
You can get them from eBay , just search a 4.7k ohm resistor .
On the car remove that black air intake “batwing” that goes into the front of the turbo . Below this and behind the fuel filter you will see an electrical connector that plugs into the ilps motor , undo this connector .
Bend the end wires of the resistor over on themselves so they fit better into the electrical connector . Put the resistor wires into the middle two connections (there are 4) . Tape up with electrical tape to cover it all .
Put the batwing back and that’s it

Hi W1ghty,

Thanks so much for this. really appreciate all you help. I have ordered the resistors from ebay and will try this over the weekend. If it work it will be great and I can use the car. I might get the motor replaced at some point, but at least for now it will give me a bit of breathing space and not pressured to getting this done now. I had the EGR valve replaced just over a month ago and that was expensive. I'm glad I can get this sorted at nothing.

Thanks again for all your help.

Mosman

Hi W1ghty,

Thanks so much for this. really appreciate all you help. I have ordered the resistors from ebay and will try this over the weekend. If it work it will be great and I can use the car. I might get the motor replaced at some point, but at least for now it will give me a bit of breathing space and not pressured to getting this done now. I had the EGR valve replaced just over a month ago and that was expensive. I'm glad I can get this sorted at nothing.

Thanks again for all your help.

Mosman
Let us know how you get on . Good luck with it .

Just had this resistor fix (bodge) done on my w204 c320cdi, also had the turbo seal and new breather connector replaced. Car is driving fine at the moment, no issues.
My car has only done 77000 miles, there was only a very slight misting from the seal but this was obviously enough to fry the motor.
As this is such a common fault and is due to an inherent design fault, surely Mercedes should have had a recall for the seals to be replaced? It really is pretty poor to say the least!

Just had this resistor fix (bodge) done on my w204 c320cdi, also had the turbo seal and new breather connector replaced. Car is driving fine at the moment, no issues.
My car has only done 77000 miles, there was only a very slight misting from the seal but this was obviously enough to fry the motor.
As this is such a common fault and is due to an inherent design fault, surely Mercedes should have had a recall for the seals to be replaced? It really is pretty poor to say the least!
There is I believe updated orange seals over the originals , they just need changing every couple of years .

There is I believe updated orange seals over the originals , they just need changing every couple of years .
I just got the seal and breather from the dealer, they were around £8 and will replace them myself once I do the resistor fix. BTW I ordered the resistor/bypass from ebay. Decided to go with this, hopefully it works.

Will let you know once it arrives and I install it.

I just got the seal and breather from the dealer, they were around £8 and will replace them myself once I do the resistor fix. BTW I ordered the resistor/bypass from ebay. Decided to go with this, hopefully it works.

Will let you know once it arrives and I install it.
So I had the resistor fix done over the weekend and unfortunately this did not work for me. Car was still on limp mode and engine light still on. I decided to take it to the garage. They did a diagnostic and yes the motor needed replacing but also the intake Manifold was also blocked and jammed. So they wanted to replace the manifold as well, but I asked if they could clean this rather than replace it. All in all they managed to get the manifold cleaned and freed to move and also replaced the motor, gaskets and seals. All came to around £850. The car is back now and seems to be work ok fingers crossed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom