Intake port shut off motor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wildcard

Car
Mercedes E320 CDI
My 06 E320 CDI with 55,000 miles limped home yesterday with little accelleration and the engine management light was on the dash. The garage have advised me that the intake port shut off motor had gone. This is the second time this has happened to me and at £600 a go to repair is becoming costly. Has anyone else had this problem?

Yup. Your right it is a pain.

I believe there is a seal on the turbo which can leak and destroy the motor. Check to see if it's been replaced.

I've had it. Crockers on here had had it I think 3 times. There are others too.

Mine went last October. Car had been sitting on the dockside at Southampton for two weeks, picked it up to drive to Newcastle and it went into limp mode. I think it cost about £350 to get it fixed. Car had 30k on with FSH

Did they change the seals? I think MB bought out a modified seal which stopped oil from seeping into the motor but sounds like they just changed it?

I am having mine done as prevention.

Did they change the seals? I think MB bought out a modified seal which stopped oil from seeping into the motor but sounds like they just changed it?

No idea, I'll dig the invoice out and have a look. Thanks for the tip

Just checked the invoice, looks like they've only replaced the motor

I think that some people have managed to get some goodwill from MB for the turbo seal - if you don't ask, you don't get.

Just checked the invoice, looks like they've only replaced the motor

Not good and typical... the seal itself is cheap, have a word with Ian at w124 or rascal master as he has had this done.

Was it MB who did this?

Last edited:
shortcut to flickr album showing gunk on intake port motor...

w211 e280cdi - a set on Flickr

have to be very careful while cleaning (i sprayed brake cleaner onto a rag to wipe) so that it doesn't leak into the motor...

I just don't understand the main dealers sometimes. Just replacing the motor is half the job!!! Most if not all will need the inlet manifolds'(with shut off flaps) replaced too as well as the seal.

I just don't understand the main dealers sometimes. Just replacing the motor is half the job!!! Most if not all will need the inlet manifolds'(with shut off flaps) replaced too as well as the seal.

How much would that cost? or should I not ask))

Faulty Intake Port Shut Off Motor

I've just been to have a look at a 10 registered E350 CDI. There was an engine warning light on, which the dealer confirmed was a faulty intake port shut off motor and that it was due to be replaced.

Is this something that I should be walking away from, or, as it's being replaced won't cause me any issues further down the line? :dk:

From current observation, the port shut off seems to go wrong from leaking oil from the above turbo/air-intake connection, providing this was the cause, just make sure that the leak is cured & it should all be fine.

i've just changed my motor, when i asked my local stealer for said seals they had to order them in as they dont sell/replace many!!!!!!!

i've just changed my motor, when i asked my local stealer for said seals they had to order them in as they dont sell/replace many!!!!!!!

Very strange... I'm guessing they have the motors on the shelves instead, far more profitable than rubber seals :D

Thanks all - I'll ask for confirmation that the seals have been changed at the same time as the motor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom