integrated DAB for NTG1/NTG2 now ready !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richard

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
MY04 SL55
Hi All

Most know we've been working on getting an integrated DAB solution for NTG1/NTG2 COMAND systems, and thank you to the 2 forum members who have beta-tested it :)

Well, its now ready. Launch date is 1st October, but obviously we have some units already.

The car needs to have COMAND and no CDC as the device emulates a CD changer to display station names, station information etc, and this version works with NTG1/NTG2 systems.

Look at Comand Online Ltd :: Other Mercedes Retrofits :: Mercedes DAB retrofit kits :: in2Digi integrated DAB radio interface kit for Mercedes NTG1/NTG2 vehicles. for more info

It comes with a stick-on amplified antenna, but it can be integrated with existing merc windscreen TV antenna (for instance side windows on a W164 ML or W203 C estate, and rear in others) but that requires a MB antenna amp and a long cable, so you don't even have to have a visible antenna (although its small and reasonable looking). It has a 3.5mm AUX in also, which may be useful for connecting a MP3 player

I dont mind saying the sound quality is brilliant, and i'm sure others will back me up on that.

The product is designed and built in the UK, which is nice as of course we have direct access to the actual people who write the software if there are any issues.

The cost of the product is £499, plus fitting, although I know Comand Europe will do some vastly reduced fitting charges for the first few forum members that want it installed. I'd expect around £599 as the normal fitted charge.

The developer will be working on the version for NTG2.5/NTG3/NTG4 next, which means that you should be able to move this unit from your NTG1/NTG2 car to a newer car when you change your car. All going well, I'd expect support for NTG4.5 after that, and then other manufacturers but we're not in control of the future roadmap :)

Thanks

Richard

Oooo, where did my piggy bank go?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MBClub UK

Sent you a couple of emails Richard.

Oooo, where did my piggy bank go?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MBClub UK

Yup, thats the trouble when it has to be on the fibre optic bus, etc etc.

There are alternatives that aren't integrated, I like the Alpine EZI-DAB product - but its best where wired to the AUX in where the car has an AUX in (otherwise its FM inserter/repeater), and the display thing that you control it from is the nicest looking of the bolt on DAB tuners - but you have to have a bolt on display, and most Merc owners don't like to pollute their beautiful dashboard :)

Cheers

Richard

I have picked up a cheap Dension Gateway 500 for £165 from ebay, but seriously considering flogging that and signing up for the DAB.
Can't bear fm modulators at all and obviously no aux in on my 2004 W220.

How easy is the install? Power, fibre and antenna? I presume it will easily fit where the cd changer is currently located?

As I mentioned in another post, I was one of the "guinea pigs" for this kit... It's a very good addition to cars without factory DAB...I have the aerial at the top of my windscreen and it's a discreet little unit that can't be seen really....
Anyone wanting this is more than welcome to see/hear my install, although there is not much to see, but plenty to hear!!

I have picked up a cheap Dension Gateway 500 for £165 from ebay, but seriously considering flogging that and signing up for the DAB.
Can't bear fm modulators at all and obviously no aux in on my 2004 W220.

How easy is the install? Power, fibre and antenna? I presume it will easily fit where the cd changer is currently located?

Yes, power, fibre, antenna. Yes, it will fit there (you will have to change the power, but fibre is same) run antenna up and put it on rear window (I think W220 CDC is in the boot). Of course the AUX in is then in the wrong place ..

As your car is configured for CDC already, no coding to worry about there.

Cheers

Richard

I was the other guinea-pig testing these units in my old S203 for quite a while and a number of iterations! The last antennae was discrete and pulled in the signal very well.

The sound quality was far superior to FM and as it was digital all the way through to the COMAND had great dynamic range.

I really miss it.. (Sound quality through the HK would be awesome!)

I was the other guinea-pig testing these units in my old S203 for quite a while and a number of iterations! The last antennae was discrete and pulled in the signal very well.

The sound quality was far superior to FM and as it was digital all the way through to the COMAND had great dynamic range.

I really miss it.. (Sound quality through the HK would be awesome!)

Im sure we could refit it for you ;)

Hmmmm, don't think I could justify over a grand for a DAB radio on an older car.

The cost of the product is £499, plus fitting, although I know Comand Europe will do some vastly reduced fitting charges for the first few forum members that want it installed. I'd expect around £599 as the normal fitted charge.

Thanks

Richard

If that's right then that sounds better!

From the above I read it as £499 + £599 totaling £1099

Doesn't state whether VAT is included or not?

I meant i'd expect approx. £599 including VAT as the normal charge for the unit including fitting, i.e. total.

(i.e £100 fitting charge, £499 charge for the DAB kit, all inc VAT)

Richard

Ah Ha, much better! :thumb:

Lost in translation again! :rolleyes:

That's how Wars start! :eek:

ntg1 upgrade

Sounds exspencive for only DAB. Mine cost half of that and has DAB plus a number of additional options. I kept all my original parts of the FIBRE OPTIC system including the CD changer , SAT NAV etc. It just functions as a TV tuner using the video menu.

I upgraded my NTG1 a while back and its great to have DAB and digital TV, crystal clear. But I dont use it as much as the USB memory stick input for playing my music videos and MP3's.

short video of NTG1 upgrade

Last edited:
Looks interesting that E55.

What additional parts were required, how long/difficult was the upgrade and most importantly how much did it all cost?

Did you do this your self or use a local fitter?

Wow, video in motion, looking behind you and no seatbelt I must have one of those! Does actually look a nice bit of kit though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom